Proposal to add fist bump to high five chest bump protocol

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
I remember Coach Jones caught some flak
when he installed the chest bump high five system awhile back.

I felt bad for him because you know he was probably sincere with it when he came up with the idea for more team unity and then people made fun of him on here like he was just back in the band again instead of the Head Cheese on the sidelines at UT.

Great Grandpa Vol must have noticed my preoccupation because he asked me what was wrong.

He said I looked down and not as "I've got the world by the tail" like my usual self.

I figured he had the wisdom from living many more years than even my grandpa so it probably couldn't hurt to let him know what was bothering me.

He just laughed like he'd heard it a thousand times before and told me the solution was simple.

I just start a thread on Vol Nation and suggest the fist bump be added to the scheme along with the chest bump and high fives.

Great Grandpa Vol did it again!

He said the older out of touch people giving Coach Jones a hard time still weren't too old for him to turn them over his knee and introduce them to Mr. Green Switch, Sr.

He also said the fist bump is more in tune with the current generation of players so it would appeal more and the hecklers wouldn't want to feel uncool like they didn't understand the fist bump so it would cut down on some of the useless criticism. :cool2:

I heard Grandpa Vol tell me enough stories about Great Grandpa Vol's Mr. Green, a "switch" that he had picked from off a tree to know now wasn't the time to question your elder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I felt bad for him because you know he was probably sincere with it when he came up with the idea for more team unity and then people made fun of him on here like he was just back in the band again instead of the Head Cheese on the sidelines at UT.

Great Grandpa Vol must have noticed my preoccupation because he asked me what was wrong.

He said I looked down and not as "I've got the world by the tail" like my usual self.

I figured he had the wisdom from living many more years than even my grandpa so it probably couldn't hurt to let him know what was bothering me.

He just laughed like he'd heard it a thousand times before and told me the solution was simple.

I just start a thread on Vol Nation and suggest the fist bump be added to the scheme along with the chest bump and high fives.

He said the older out of touch people giving Coach Jones a hard time still weren't too old for him to turn them over his knee and introduce them to Mr. Green Switch, Sr.

He also said the fist bump is more in tune with the current generation of players so it would appeal more and the hecklers wouldn't want to feel uncool like they didn't understand the fist bump so it would cut down on some of the useless criticism. :cool2:

I heard Grandpa Vol tell me enough stories about Great Grandpa Vol's Mr. Green, a "switch" that he had picked from off a tree to know now wasn't the time to question your elder.

Are you old enough to be on VN?

Reactions: 3 people
I'd prefer to stay focused on the merits of the proposal, but yes, to answer your question, I'm of age to be on the virtual network.

Reactions: 1 person
bf4cc994fc714326a9467c3d86c528407e494219c9681495f61145b456e6eb86.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
Sometimes there are not enough high fives to the face.

Volfannbama, I could be wrong about this so forgive me in advance if I have mistaken the spirit of your post as I usually enjoy your witticisms, but I think this could be one of the rare times you may have dropped the ball with a post.

I mean think about it -- if even one player reads your post at face value and then went out and high-fived someone's face, knowing our luck, our friends from Birmingham in the white and black stripe uniforms might mistake the show of team spirit for either a face mask, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness, or... you get the idea.

Although to be fair I must say everyone in my section stands to our feet and cheers like crazy when Kamara and Kelly stiff arms some fools on the other team's defense and just keeps running toward the end zone.

Maybe it's the subconscious primal that relishes in seeing our players wreck the opponents who are trying to stop them, but it's fun. There were so many standup plays made by our standout players this season that I'm gearing up for a fun bowl game experience right now.

I don't even pity whoever draws the short end of the stick to end up as our opponents because after we thrash them their school will still benefit more from being Tennessee's opponent just because of the extra exposure they get compared to playing against practically any other team they could face.

To those who posted Lil Jon or Jackie Chan media to ask what they read, I do not blame you and to the contrary, I am entertained by your responses enough to field them as legit questions worthy of an answer. What you read is merely an exercise in the use of story to communicate powerful underlying ideas for the good of everything Team Tennessee.

(Truth be told, it was also the result of a couple days without sleep combined with taking some benadryl for allergies after watching some youtube videos on the influence of the dadaist movement on surrealism followed by reading some satirical essays on groupthink.)

I'd like to publicly commend RollerVol for being a fine credit to the entire community with his positive and encouraging post in this thread. If more of us could follow his example, we could all sing out of the same song book without stopping every five seconds to question the choir director.

Go VOLS!

I also realize there are many more pressing issues than team spirit or how our Vols celebrate so I will not be disappointed if the modest proposal is rejected.

After all, it would be just as hypocritical of me to question the way the high fives and chest bumps are done as it was for those people who attempted to ridicule our Head Coach over it in the first place.

Volfannbama, I could be wrong about this so forgive me in advance if I have mistaken the spirit of your post as I usually enjoy your witticisms, but I think this could be one of the rare times you may have dropped the ball with a post.

I mean think about it -- if even one player reads your post at face value and then went out and high-fived someone's face, knowing our luck, our friends from Birmingham in the white and black stripe uniforms might mistake the show of team spirit for either a face mask, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness, or... you get the idea.

Although to be fair I must say everyone in my section stands to our feet and cheers like crazy when Kamara and Kelly stiff arms some fools on the other team's defense and just keeps running toward the end zone.

Maybe it's the subconscious primal that relishes in seeing our players wreck the opponents who are trying to stop them, but it's fun. There were so many standup plays made by our standout players this season that I'm gearing up for a fun bowl game experience right now.

I don't even pity whoever draws the short end of the stick to end up as our opponents because after we thrash them their school will still benefit more from being Tennessee's opponent just because of the extra exposure they get compared to playing against practically any other team they could face.

To those who posted Lil Jon or Jackie Chan media to ask what they read, I do not blame you and to the contrary, I am entertained by your responses enough to field them as legit questions worthy of an answer. What you read is merely an exercise in the use of story to communicate powerful underlying ideas for the good of everything Team Tennessee.

(Truth be told, it was also the result of a couple days without sleep combined with taking some benadryl for allergies after watching some youtube videos on the influence of the dadaist movement on surrealism followed by reading some satirical essays on groupthink.)

I'd like to publicly commend RollerVol for being a fine credit to the entire community with his positive and encouraging post in this thread. If more of us could follow his example, we could all sing out of the same song book without stopping every five seconds to question the choir director.

Go VOLS!

I also realize there are many more pressing issues than team spirit or how our Vols celebrate so I will not be disappointed if the modest proposal is rejected.

After all, it would be just as hypocritical of me to question the way the high fives and chest bumps are done as it was for those people who attempted to ridicule our Head Coach over it in the first place.

Uhm.....
Uhm.....

The OP of this thread needs a high five to the face. Lol

In all seriousness, any snarky post I do should be taken with witt. Im a Marine and a Police Officer, my humor is probably differnet then most. But much the same, I dont look down on people for their opinions and such its just my nature to poke fun at silliness. I read things with the thought that in the end we are all vols fans and just want the progran to succeed, we just have differnet opinions on how to get it there.
Im currently not supportive of Coach Jones because our team appears poorly coached but I still respect what he has done. I said earlier this season, the only way I would lose respect for him would be benching Dobbs, when other fans were talking about it. Other than that I hope im wrong, and will gladly admit it, if he turns around and fields a good team.
The only thing I really disagree with people on is any mention of hiring Art Briles, luckly it isnt worth discussing because it wont happen.

I have given the OP a like as I want to encourage him to post more such threads. I encourage others to do so as well.

I'll support the fist bump if we also sanction the "low five" as an option for the defense following sacks and takeaways. I assume the dual helmet slap between kicker and placeholder is already a done deal.

Benadryl...it helps me sleep.

I think you add two toe kicks and a dosey-do, maybe swing your partner to and fro, you know for tradition.

Reactions: 3 people
That's a pretty good story OP. Unfortunately, some here have a CBJ brick stuck up their arse.

You keep those great-grampa stories a'coming. We need more of his wisdom in these troubling, Vandy ass-whipping times.

VN Store

Back