Promising quote from Trevon Flowers

EastTNVol95

Just wanted to share something that really stuck out to me when listening to the players talk at media days yesterday. In the final minute of the video, Flowers talks about the work ethic and focus of the younger guys Heupel has brought in. Mentions how as a freshman under Pruitt he never saw anyone come in on off-days and put in extra work on their own. I was a student at UT during Butch's years and can say from first-hand experience this was one of the biggest flaws of his teams as well. Obviously not going to name names, but many of UT's best players at that time were caught up in the celebrity status of being a football player at UT (partying, girls, etc.) than winning championships.

This is the healthiest I've seen the culture in my years of being a Tennessee fan. We still lack depth to be a guaranteed contender in the SEC but if the injury bug stays away and we get a few lucky bounces this team has the mindset and culture to make some real noise this fall.

Great interview- thanks. Always impressive to see college students that bring energy, information and insight to an interview. Even more so when they have good interview skills - good use of language, limited fillers (e.g. aight, uh, you know etc.), not too much repetition or use of trite expressions. I often watch presentations from college students and in comparison to other seniors in college, Trevon really does a good job representing the team.

Great interview- thanks. Always impressive to see college students that bring energy, information and insight to an interview. Even more so when they have good interview skills - good use of language, limited fillers (e.g. aight, uh, you know etc.), not too much repetition or use of trite expressions. I often watch presentations from college students and in comparison to other seniors in college, Trevon really does a good job representing the team.

I highly recommend listening to this as well. I was blown away by Tayven's maturity level and his understanding that this is a year to learn and grow under veteran QB's. Very rare to hear from a 4 star prospect in today's world of the transfer portal. Our future at QB is brighter than its ever been with Tayven and Nico.

I highly recommend listening to this as well. I was blown away by Tayven's maturity level and his understanding that this is a year to learn and grow under veteran QB's. Very rare to hear from a 4 star prospect in today's world of the transfer portal. Our future at QB is brighter than its ever been with Tayven and Nico.

Very good interview. Young man seems very bright & articulate. Great to hear how good our young receivers are. Good to see a coach working with him in the mornings. This is what TN ball been missing. Think he could be a difference maker. Hope he & Nico put up 4800 yards.

Jackson is an EE that will have more than a year in the program before Nico even gets here...and a chance to spend over a year under the wing of Hooker/Milton before he has to compete against anyone for the starting job next year....I think many folks may be surprised next season if/when Jacksons experience plus his own talent and athleticism are too much for a freshman Nico to beat out. Nico is as close to a sure thing at QB as we have had in decades at QB....but Jackson is a baller in his own right with plenty of gifts. He is clearly intelligent...and a QBs biggest weapon is always his brain. A full year of playbook study, running these plays and insane tempo at practice every day, college nutrition and weight room....IF....IF...Nico comes in and beats this guy out next season then fully expect Nico to put up All SEC type numbers like Hooker did last year. Thats what a good QB in this offense looks like when they know what they are doing and are able to execute. Nico has all the talent in the world from what I have seen....but his head is likely to spin trying to take it all in next year and the BEST thing for UT may well be for Nico to spend a season as a "sponge " soaking up all he can, just like Jackson is doing this year.

Regardless, we have 2 great young QBs back next year. If Milton doesnt see the field this year bc Hooker stays healthy, HE may even be back next season as well. I am thankful we have a settled starter this season, and think we will play better and win more games because of it.

Jackson is an EE that will have more than a year in the program before Nico even gets here...and a chance to spend over a year under the wing of Hooker/Milton before he has to compete against anyone for the starting job next year....I think many folks may be surprised next season if/when Jacksons experience plus his own talent and athleticism are too much for a freshman Nico to beat out. Nico is as close to a sure thing at QB as we have had in decades at QB....but Jackson is a baller in his own right with plenty of gifts. He is clearly intelligent...and a QBs biggest weapon is always his brain. A full year of playbook study, running these plays and insane tempo at practice every day, college nutrition and weight room....IF....IF...Nico comes in and beats this guy out next season then fully expect Nico to put up All SEC type numbers like Hooker did last year. Thats what a good QB in this offense looks like when they know what they are doing and are able to execute. Nico has all the talent in the world from what I have seen....but his head is likely to spin trying to take it all in next year and the BEST thing for UT may well be for Nico to spend a season as a "sponge " soaking up all he can, just like Jackson is doing this year.

Regardless, we have 2 great young QBs back next year. If Milton doesnt see the field this year bc Hooker stays healthy, HE may even be back next season as well. I am thankful we have a settled starter this season, and think we will play better and win more games because of it.
These are the headaches Nick Saban has suffered with all these years.. Good sign for us.

Things can change in a hurry in college football these days, but I’m so optimistic about our QB pipeline. You cannot win consistently in this league without a solid QB, and our recent history at the position has been less than ideal. JH has changed that in one year. It’s so encouraging.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Things can change in a hurry in college football these days, but I’m so optimistic about our QB pipeline. You cannot win consistently in this league without a solid QB, and our recent history at the position has been less than ideal. JH has changed that in one year. It’s so encouraging.
Dobbs was good enough to championships.

Reactions: walkenvol
Dobbs was good enough to championships.

Senior year Dobbs was...and he is by far the best athlete we have had at QB in my 45 years of life. He was electric scrambling.

But we tend to remember Dobbs with orange colored glasses, i think because he is such a bright and classy young man...but for his first 3 years there were threads here on a week to week basis about the fact that he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn throwing the ball...and 200 yards a game passing wasn't gonna get us anywhere when he missed open receivers. I posted in several of them myself, because he had games and drives where our only real options were running the ball by him or a RB, or throwing screens because he couldn't hit a post route or intermediate crossing route to save his life.

I think the 13 consecutive seasons with JGs raggedy butt...the ONLY passer at UT to start multiple seasons and leave here with 2 losses for every win....made everyone want Dobbs back so badly that many folks here suffer from revised history when it comes to Dobbs. He ended up being solid enough that he could have won the East probably with a good team and coach around him. He was never a world beater passer though and still isnt to this day

Takes nothing away from the respect and admiration he deserves as a VFL, a seemingly very good young man, and a bright engineer. The guy is class all the way.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
It’s my understanding that his plan was to redshirt his freshman year and then tried to redshirt his sophomore year too. Stepping aside his first 2 years and probably not get all the reps he didn’t develop like he could have, if any of my information is correct.

Crossing routes is what I remember him having the most trouble with.

His senior year was out last shot at something special, until now.

VN Store

Back