Projected depth chart vs. Bowling Green

NighthawkVol

QB- Joe Milton (RSSo.), Hendon Hooker (Sr.), Harrison Bailey (So.)

RB- Jabari Small (So.), Tiyon Evans (Jr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Dee Beckwith (RSFr.), Tee Hodge (RSFr.), Len’Neth Whitehead (RSFr.)

WR- Velus Jones (RSSr.), Cedric Tillman (RSJr.), Kaemen Marley (Fr.)

WR- Javonta Payton (Sr.), Ramel Keyton (Jr.), Andison Coby (So.)

SL- Jalin Hyatt (So.), Jimmy Calloway (So.), Walker Merrill (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (So.)

TE- Princeton Fant (RSSr.), Jacob Warren (RSJr.), Miles Campbell (Fr.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Trinity Bell (Fr.)

RT- Cade Mays (Sr.), Reginald Perry (RSFr.), William Parker (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (So.), Kingston Harris (RSJr.), Chris Akporoghene (RSSo.)

C- Cooper Mays (So.), Oliver Lane (RSJr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Sr.), Jackson Lampley (RSFr.), James Robinson (RSFr.)

LT- Darnell Wright (Jr.), Dayne Davis (RSSo.), Jeremiah Crawford (So.), K’Rojhn Calbert (RSSr.)

DE- Matthew Butler (Sr.), Caleb Tremblay (RSr.), JaQuain Blakley (RSSr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (So.), Aubrey Solomon (Sr.), Kurot Garland (RSJr.), Amari McNeill (Fr.)

DT- Latrell Bumphus (Sr.), Da’Jon Terry (RSSo.), Elijah Simmons (RSSo.), Dominic Bailey (RSFr.)

DE- Byron Young (Jr.), Tyler Baron (So.), Bryson Eason (So.)

WILL- Roman Harrison (Jr.), William Mohan (RSFr.), Morven Joseph (So.)

MIKE- Juwan Mitchell (Sr.), Aaron Willis (Fr.), Kawuaze Garland (RSSo.)

SAM- Jeremy Banks (RSJr.), Aaron Beasley (Jr.), Solon Page (RSSr.)

LCB- Alontae Taylor (Sr.), Kenneth George (RSSr.), Kamal Hadden (RSSo.)

RCB- Warren Burrell (Jr.), Brandon Turnage (RSFr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Fr.)

NB- Theo Jackson (Sr.), Doneiko Slaughter (So.), Tamarion McDonald (So.)

S- Jaylen McCollough (Jr.), Tyus Fields (RSSo.), Cheyenne Labruzza (RSSr.)

S- Trevon Flowers (Sr.), Christian Charles (Fr.)

K- Chase McGrath (Sr.), JT Carver (Fr.)

P- Paxton Brooks (Sr.)

KOS- Paxton Brooks (Sr.)

KR- Velus Jones (RSSr.)

PR- Theo Jackson (Sr.)

This is awfully solid. Bumphus over Terry (just from practice snippets) is the only part I paused on. Well done!

This is awfully solid. Bumphus over Terry (just from practice snippets) is the only part I paused on. Well done!
Yep, and Young over Baron is doubtful. A lot of it is situational and all these dudes are going to play. Pretty solid list though.

Reactions: BigDave
Yep, and Young over Baron is doubtful. A lot of it is situational and all these dudes are going to play. Pretty solid list though.

Agreed...I feel like this D is going to be extremely situational...so much that the listed depth chart for the D is almost irrelevant....

You'll have 6 DB's at times...you'll have "coverage LB's" seeing plenty of snaps...you'll have LB's like Joseph and Harrison lining up with a hand on the ground....you'll have SDE's moving inside....I believe there will be plenty of series where the lineup is different on literally every snap

I understand offense position breakdowns better than defense, but these defensive positions get confusing to me. Unless the conference decided we need all the help we can get, we have too many positions on D. I know the Will spot is rotational, but does it come and go depending on what's happening with DE or NB? I suspect it's NB, since it's reported we'll be more of a 4-2-5 alignment.

Have you read the practice reports at all? There is literally no indication that what you wrote here is correct
Practice reports don’t tell you anything cause the media doesn’t see anything. They don’t see scrimmages etc. All they see is warm ups and certain drills. Against a weak team like BG I think they give the Davis kid the nod at RT. The staff would rather have Mays at Guard. If they opened with Pitt they probably would go with Mays at RT.

Tillman and Pakk Garland will either start or see a ton of time. Looks really close to what to expect, if we can avoid a bad injury bug i think there is enough in the two deep to be more competitive this year than the national folks would have you believe. Joe Milton's consistency or not will make the big difference

QB- Joe Milton (RSSo.), Hendon Hooker (Sr.), Harrison Bailey (So.)

RB- Jabari Small (So.), Tiyon Evans (Jr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Dee Beckwith (RSFr.), Tee Hodge (RSFr.), Len’Neth Whitehead (RSFr.)

WR- Velus Jones (RSSr.), Cedric Tillman (RSJr.), Kaemen Marley (Fr.)

WR- Javonta Payton (Sr.), Ramel Keyton (Jr.), Andison Coby (So.)

SL- Jalin Hyatt (So.), Jimmy Calloway (So.), Walker Merrill (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (So.)

TE- Princeton Fant (RSSr.), Jacob Warren (RSJr.), Miles Campbell (Fr.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Trinity Bell (Fr.)

RT- Cade Mays (Sr.), Reginald Perry (RSFr.), William Parker (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (So.), Kingston Harris (RSJr.), Chris Akporoghene (RSSo.)

C- Cooper Mays (So.), Oliver Lane (RSJr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Sr.), Jackson Lampley (RSFr.), James Robinson (RSFr.)

LT- Darnell Wright (Jr.), Dayne Davis (RSSo.), Jeremiah Crawford (So.), K’Rojhn Calbert (RSSr.)

DE- Matthew Butler (Sr.), Caleb Tremblay (RSr.), JaQuain Blakley (RSSr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (So.), Aubrey Solomon (Sr.), Kurot Garland (RSJr.), Amari McNeill (Fr.)

DT- Latrell Bumphus (Sr.), Da’Jon Terry (RSSo.), Elijah Simmons (RSSo.), Dominic Bailey (RSFr.)

DE- Byron Young (Jr.), Tyler Baron (So.), Bryson Eason (So.)

WILL- Roman Harrison (Jr.), William Mohan (RSFr.), Morven Joseph (So.)

MIKE- Juwan Mitchell (Sr.), Aaron Willis (Fr.), Kawuaze Garland (RSSo.)

SAM- Jeremy Banks (RSJr.), Aaron Beasley (Jr.), Solon Page (RSSr.)

LCB- Alontae Taylor (Sr.), Kenneth George (RSSr.), Kamal Hadden (RSSo.)

RCB- Warren Burrell (Jr.), Brandon Turnage (RSFr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Fr.)

NB- Theo Jackson (Sr.), Doneiko Slaughter (So.), Tamarion McDonald (So.)

S- Jaylen McCollough (Jr.), Tyus Fields (RSSo.), Cheyenne Labruzza (RSSr.)

S- Trevon Flowers (Sr.), Christian Charles (Fr.)

K- Chase McGrath (Sr.), JT Carver (Fr.)

P- Paxton Brooks (Sr.)

KOS- Paxton Brooks (Sr.)

KR- Velus Jones (RSSr.)

PR- Theo Jackson (Sr.)

Well done 47. I think we have a chance at a break out season...........it's time for one!

Hyatt in the slot? I would say he goes wide and Payton is in the slot, unless CJH is trying to exploit a miss match. I'd say that all the WR corps are "starters" as they will all likely see a ton of playing time.

By some accounts, Warren is performing fantastic and will likely start over Fant and Garland is having a great camp and is pushing to start at one of the LB positions.

Reactions: FBtime
Practice reports don’t tell you anything cause the media doesn’t see anything. They don’t see scrimmages etc. All they see is warm ups and certain drills. Against a weak team like BG I think they give the Davis kid the nod at RT. The staff would rather have Mays at Guard. If they opened with Pitt they probably would go with Mays at RT.
that makes absolutely no sense. Coaches aren’t dictating starting lineups based on the difficulty of the opponent lol what in the world

Man.... we better hope no OL get hurt. The only backup I feel comfortable with is Dayne Davis.

It's a solid lineup but, are there any of these players even picked for 3rd team all SEC? Some may just be unproven but have the potential for greatness. However, especially on the defensive side of the ball, there don't appear to be a lot of explosive playmakers or potential high round draft picks.

Reactions: TheDirector
Is this a hunch or is Davis a relative or friend? It's a message board and so opinions are welcome and encouraged. However, yours is different from every report we've seen so I'm curious as to how you arrived at your theory? I would think that we would want to get the line as much practice as possible against the weak BG team to prepare them for Pitt. Either way, Davis will be needed and play meaningful snaps.

It's a solid lineup but, are there any of these players even picked for 3rd team all SEC? Some may just be unproven but have the potential for greatness. However, especially on the defensive side of the ball, there don't appear to be a lot of explosive playmakers or potential high round draft picks.
3 of our best players from last year are starting or pushing for starting positions at Oklahoma and another is starting for Alabama. I like the optimism from our fans but that's a lot to overcome. I agree that the defense will be suspect, especially with the type of offense we plan to run. We could see a lot games where the defense is gassed in the second half and gets torched. Hope I'm wrong and I'll be there either way cheering them on.

Reactions: Backwards K
Seeing the defense on paper makes me feel somewhat better. Some guys will have to steal some minutes though.

Seeing the defense on paper makes me feel somewhat better. Some guys will have to steal some minutes though.

Same. It won’t be all world but if our offense is as good as we think it will be that defense should be serviceable.

3 of our best players from last year are starting or pushing for starting positions at Oklahoma and another is starting for Alabama. I like the optimism from our fans but that's a lot to overcome. I agree that the defense will be suspect, especially with the type of offense we plan to run. We could see a lot games where the defense is gassed in the second half and gets torched. Hope I'm wrong and I'll be there either way cheering them on.
Wanya Morris wasn’t one of our best players last season. He was running at jumbo TE at the end. Not arguing about Lawrence but that’s on POTENTIAL…not his actual production. And Gray was our best RB last season by default. He’s highly replaceable and it’s already done. We’re deeper at DL and (depending on 2-3 players) possibly at LB.

VN Store

Back