Pringles and the fetishization of competition

Lay's Stax >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pringles

Stax are made in Mexico. Pringles are a hyperbolic paraboloid.

Per Wikipedia:

Stax chips are heavier and thicker than Pringles. The shape of Stax is a simple curve, while Pringles are formed into a double-curve known as a hyperbolic paraboloid. Stax chips have the flavoring spread across the inside curve of the crisp whilst Pringles have them across the outside curve. Stax chips are packaged in plastic packages,while Pringles are packaged in cans consisting of cardboard and metal.

So the argument is Pringles are the pinnacle of snack chips, therefore that market should be closed and resources diverted to other ventures? If that were the case wouldn't all other snack chips be obsoleted? If they were truly the best the market would make that call and other brands would just go away. Wasn't this a Bernie thing too? Didn't he say there's too many choices of toothpaste and bread and such? Sounds like a rant from Curb your Enthusiasm.

Keeping with the OPs point, the market should have ceased 1n 1966 with the introduction of Bugles. Therefore, Pringles would never exist.

/thread

I thought they weren't even allowed to call themselves potato chips anymore. They are called potato crisps or something else, due to actual potato content. Mainly wood pulp or something. Add artificial flavors and give a distinctive shape and voila! Best potato chip on the planet. Wtfe. Cheap stoners boner food. Gotcha.

Last edited:
The chips I buy the most are generic, ruffled, spicy barbecue...why is it so hard to get ruffles in every flavor? That's what I want to know.

I think some generic brands are really good.

I had my suspicions from an earlier thread this year - this thread confirms it

http://www.volnation.com/forum/politics/129776-market-failures-pringles.html?highlight=pringles

That utgibbs is a damn genius out-tricking the forum with his mind. :) Where did he go?

His thoughts on QUALITY vs CHOICE as closer to authentic freedom is spot-on too. Pringles demonstrates both market failure and the fetishization of competition in economic life. What we need is QUALITY (with no externalities) enforced by REGULATION and not the scientifically proven "lemon" model of capitalism we enjoy now.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow. EVH is definitely one of the worst posters both in the FF and here, bit why would a person ever basically steal a horrible thread idea to begin with?

Or did we just see an alt revealed? I am shocked aND a little baffled tbh?

Good job catching this one fwiw

Alt revealed

That utgibbs is a damn genius out-tricking the forum with his mind. :) Where did he go?

His thoughts on QUALITY vs CHOICE as closer to authentic freedom is spot-on too. Pringles demonstrates both market failure and the fetishization of competition in economic life. What we need is QUALITY (with no externalities) enforced by REGULATION and not the scientifically proven "lemon" model of capitalism we enjoy now.

That is some weak sauce.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back