Preview: the VT Hokies vs the UT Volunteers

VolFaninFla

Virginia Tech writer previews Saturdays's game.

Cue running the ball a lot by Tennessee. Not that hard to conceive. We have historically stunk at covering running quarterbacks and huge running backs. They have both. They’re not great at passing and we’re pretty good at defending it- but our secondary is young outside of Clark and Facyson, so I’d also expect a heavy amount of deep throws to remove the stopper Bud attempts to put in their very potent rushing attack. I can smell trouble from a mile away with such big running backs and a running threat at quarterback. Moto and Edmunds are going to have their hands full, and the line will have to hold the middle while the linebackers will have to secure the edges. Not going to be easy for an inexperienced linebacking corps and line. They’re not afraid to throw to either Kamara or Hurd, so you’ll see plenty of them. The weak point of their offense would be to rattle Dobbs and press his receivers tight.

Preview: the VT Hokies vs the UT Volunteers - Gobbler Country

Reactions: 3 people
Not afraid to throw it to Hurd and Kamara? Lol. Those are the only two we actually do throw it to. Also, that last sentence about our offensive weakness....spot on.

Reactions: 2 people
We'll see a different team this weak. I refuse to believe that the team we saw Thursday was our team. O-line redeems themselves, and we dominate this weekend. 150 yards passing for Dobbs and 100 yards on the ground to a 35-14 shalacking.

Reactions: 1 person
If DE-BORED will actually LET Dobbs run?!? :banghead2:

You do know that Jones says how much Dobbs will run or not, right? He may not call the plays but if they're intentionally avoiding QB runs like they did vs ASU.... that's a Jones call.

It could just be me but maybe CBJ was trying to avoid an injury to Dobbs during a meaningless game but then again this board seems to have every answer to every coaching question.

Reactions: 7 people
Seems like the writer is underestimating our defense. He keeps making a point of it being 'inexperienced', but most of our younger players are very good. Micah Abernathy is "inexperienced", but he was probably the MVP on defense last week.

The writer also makes it out like our defensive rating came from 'feasting on weak competition', which is silly, because we had one of the most difficult schedules in the nation. If anything, our defensive rating was harmed by playing high-quality offenses last year: Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Bowling Green, Arkansas. There was also the Vandy game, where Vandy put up a lot of scores after the game was completely out of reach. That hurt a lot of our defensive ratings, even though it was essentially meaningless.

I'd agree on the running game being key, though. If we win the game, we've got to have big performances from the "3-headed monster" of Dobbs, Hurds, and Kamara on the ground. I also think that containing Jerod Evans will be critical, because he's capable of burning us through the air and on the ground.

Reactions: 2 people
This preview was written on 8/24. I'm guessing he would write a different preview today. He hasn't watched UT much or he wouldn't be anticipating "a heavy amount of deep throws."

Seems everyone is focusing on Bud Foster's D. Ours is just as solid. JRM is back, and they'll be rolling.

It could just be me but maybe CBJ was trying to avoid an injury to Dobbs during a meaningless game but then again this board seems to have every answer to every coaching question.

55249018.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Thats an interesting take.

If injury was the biggest worry and the game was meaningless, why even take the chance in playing him?

I get so sick of our one-dimensional offense....
:banghead2:

Watched a lot of ball this weekend. Many teams run an offense similar to ours, but every one, (yeah, every one) will air it out at least once a series, depending on how many plays they have that series.

Good Lord, it doesn't do any good to constantly recruit PLAY-MAKERS and then never give them the chance to Make a Play.

VN Store

Back