President Joe Biden - Kamala Harris Administration

I have indeed referred back to it several times now, because the Republicans / Conservatives / Trump supporters on here repeatedly assert the belief that ordinary citizens have the power to mobilize the National Guard ... and that is just plain stupid.
Oh I’d guess it’s safe to say the NG activation began with a bunch of MV WASPs waking up one day with a bad case of the brown people vapors.

Give me a more plausible alternative that a GOP governor would likely go to.

Because pretty much everyone sees it just as I do. Including you even though you won’t admit it
Guesswork is irrelevant.

The bottom line, is that the only person with the authority to deploy the National Guard to Martha's Vineyard is the Governor of Massachusetts. That would be Charlie Baker. He is a Republican. Of course, this is a silly argument concerning optics, but that fact alone is crippling to the desired Republican narrative here. You can't escape it.

Guesswork is irrelevant.

The bottom line, is that the only person with the authority to deploy the National Guard to Martha's Vineyard is the Governor of Massachusetts. That would be Charlie Baker. He is a Republican. Of course, this is a silly argument concerning optics, but that fact alone is crippling to the desired Republican narrative here. You can't escape it.
Yep. And there’s no reason for the gov to make that decision unless he’s got a bunch of scared MV constituents telling him to get the NG out there. And there is zero you can tell me to convince me otherwise. And you believe it too.

And it doesn’t cripple Baker at all. Everyone knows he likely did it while laughing to appease a bunch of hypocrite MV NIMBY constituents

Yep. And there’s no reason for the gov to make that decision unless he’s got a bunch of scared MV constituents telling him to get the NG out there. And there is zero you can tell me to convince me otherwise. And you believe it too.

And it doesn’t cripple Baker at all. Everyone knows he likely did it while laughing to appease a bunch of hypocrite MV NIMBY constituents
The fact that he is the only one who could have mobilized the National Guard and he is a Republican won't change. I didn't say it crippled Baker. It does cripple the desired Republican narrative that liberals were responsible for deploying the National Guard to Martha's Vineyard. Sorry, but you just can't escape the fact that Baker is a Republican. There is nothing more that I need to say about it. That is enough.

The fact that he is the only one who could have mobilized the National Guard and he is a Republican won't change. I didn't say it crippled Baker. It does cripple the desired Republican narrative that liberals were responsible for deploying the National Guard to Martha's Vineyard. Sorry, but you just can't escape the fact that Baker is a Republican. There is nothing more that I need to say about it. That is enough.
What does being a Republican Governor have to do with it. Point was proven by Desantis and Baker moved them out. If anything it showed the same as Desantis, we don’t accept illegal immigrants and moved them out. This one’s a struggle for you as the point was to draw attention. It exposed the hypocrisy, elitism and xenophobia by lefts elite place of vacation.

Last edited:
What does being a Republican Governor have to do with it. Point was proven by Desantis and Baker moved them out. If anything it showed the same as Desantis, we don’t accept illegal immigrants and moved them out. This one’s a struggle for you as the point was to draw attention. It exposed the hypocrisy, elitism and xenophobia by lefts elite place of vacation.
You posed a question with your first sentence, and then followed it up with a blatantly misleading statement made in your last sentence.

The left wasn't responsible for deploying the National Guard for the purpose of moving those immigrants out of Martha's Vineyard. That was done by a Republican. Therefore, the resulting political optics from this publicity stunt by Ron DeSantis can't be strictly framed as "left-wing hypocrisy and elitism." Alas, Massachusetts Governor, Charlie Baker, is not a member of the left-wing.

You posed a question with your first sentence, and then followed it up with a blatantly misleading statement made in your last sentence.

The left wasn't responsible for deploying the National Guard for the purpose of moving those immigrants out of Martha's Vineyard. That was done by a Republican. Therefore, the resulting political optics from this publicity stunt by Ron DeSantis can't be strictly framed as "left-wing hypocrisy and elitism." Alas, Massachusetts Governor, Charlie Baker, is not a member of the left-wing.
Being a Governor means you represent the entire state, not the party.

You seem to be stuck in a loop on him being an R governor , let me help … It doesn’t matter what governor called out the NG over 50 people , it’s stupid that one did . It was an absurdly excessive move to say that the NG needed deployed to one of America’s wealthiest resort spots because they didn’t have the resources to handle them . Makes zero difference what letter he has behind his name .

It's really funny that nobody is even attempting to defend the fact the Massachusetts National Guard got deployed for 50 illegals lol

They are trying to get hung up on the semantics.

Perhaps if they really wanted to help, they'd give up control of their National Guard and send them to the Texas or Arizona border to help stem the flow and they wouldn't get illegals in their very taa-daa neighborhoods.

You seem to be stuck in a loop on him being an R governor , let me help … It doesn’t matter what governor called out the NG over 50 people , it’s stupid that one did . It was an absurdly excessive move to say that the NG needed deployed to one of America’s wealthiest resort spots because they didn’t have the resources to handle them . Makes zero difference what letter he has behind his name .
He’s deflecting and trying to will this one into a blood brother battle of Republicans Governor in a internal party fighting.

Being a Governor means you represent the entire state, not the party.
Right, but being Governor also means that you are responsible for deploying the National Guard, if in the professional estimation of said Governor, such action is necessary.

The private citizens of Martha's Vineyard had no such authority. That was Gov. Charlie Baker's call to make and he made it ... and he is a Republican. You just can't get around that.

Trump never endorsed Baker. If he had, you’d have a good argument. This is his last term in office

Is this the only spin you have?

It's really funny that nobody is even attempting to defend the fact the Massachusetts National Guard got deployed for 50 illegals lol

They are trying to get hung up on the semantics.

Perhaps if they really wanted to help, they'd give up control of their National Guard and send them to the Texas or Arizona border to help stem the flow and they wouldn't get illegals in their very taa-daa neighborhoods.
If you want to criticize that decision? Go right ahead. You just need to understand who was responsible for that decision. This forum is struggling with the concept that private citizens can't call in the National Guard. Only the Governor can do that.

Trump never endorsed Baker. If he had, you’d have a good argument. This is his last term in office

Is this the only spin you have?
This doesn't have anything to do with Trump. Where did that come from? LOL.

Normally, I'm the one being criticized for bringing up Trump, where his mentioning doesn't belong.

Right, but being Governor also means that you are responsible for deploying the National Guard, if in the professional estimation of said Governor, such action is necessary.

The private citizens of Martha's Vineyard had no such authority. That was Gov. Charlie Baker's call to make and he made it ... and he is a Republican. You just can't get around that.
He’s a Republican. We’ve established that in the elections. He made it after the fact of illegals being dropped off in his states elite community. Tell me which part are you trying to run with because the wound is open in regards to people are talking about the drop off not the pickup. The pickup just exposed the hypocrisy not who’s the Governor.

If you want to criticize that decision? Go right ahead. You just need to understand who was responsible for that decision. This forum is struggling with the concept that private citizens can't call in the National Guard. Only the Governor can do that.
Are you saying that Baker made that choice with no pressure from his constituents in MV? Or just that he is a republican and the only ine that can send in the NG?

Reactions: Majors
Yeah so? Baker has called up the NG many times for different scenarios.

He had these illegals transported to a vacant base near the Cape. Why hasn’t that state taken in these people before? Maybe they don’t want them there?

It makes sense from one perspective :

A significant issue stirring Republican Party angst over illegal immigration concerns sanctuary cities/towns. However, Martha's Vineyard does not have any sanctuary towns. Those 50 immigrants were simply relocated from a location which wasn't a sanctuary city, and transported to a location that was. If DeSantis was truly interested in making a point against sanctuary cities, then those 50 immigrants would have been taken to Boston in the first place (an actual sanctuary city).

Are you saying that Baker made that choice with no pressure from his constituents in MV? Or just that he is a republican and the only ine that can send in the NG?

If you noticed he is a Republican and that is the only angle of this spin. My guess is the ones doing the social media fashion shows as they got bussed out with big glasses, big hat, big love of get the hell out is the one who called.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I'm saying that only the Governor of Massachusetts can mobilize the National Guard. Regardless of what "pressure" was applied, the buck stops with the person signing the order. It does not stop with some 85 year old fart eating caviar and cold water lobster tail on his yacht in the marina at Martha's Vineyard ... although, the old fart is who you would rather talk about.

If you noticed he is a Republican and that is the only angle of this spin. My guess is the ones doing the social media fashion shows as they got bussed out with big glasses, big hat, big love of get the hell out is the one who called.
My "angle" is that only the Governor can deploy the National Guard ... and in this case, he does happen to be a Republican.

It makes sense from one perspective :

A significant issue stirring Republican Party angst over illegal immigration concerns sanctuary cities/towns. However, Martha's Vineyard does not have any sanctuary towns. Those 50 immigrants were simply relocated from a location which wasn't a sanctuary city, and transported to a location that was. If DeSantis was truly interested in making a point against sanctuary cities, then those 50 immigrants would have been taken to Boston in the first place (an actual sanctuary city).
Desantis wasn't making a point to sanctuary cities, he was making a point that illegals don't care and neither does the WH. Those 50 were just a statement and it worked to draw attention of out sight out of mind mentality that many have.

VN Store

Back