Preseason SEC Softball Poll

mtsuraider06

Lady Vols picked to finish 2nd in the poll, behind Alabama. Tennessee picked up two First Place votes as well.

Alabama softball named preseason favorite for 2020

1. Alabama (11) 143
2. Tennessee (2) 129
3. LSU 117
4. Kentucky 101
5. Florida 92
6. Georgia 84
7. Arkansas 80
8. Ole Miss 62
9. South Carolina 56
10. Missouri 54
11. Auburn 52
12. Mississippi State 22
12. Texas A&M 22

I hope we have enough pitching although on paper this looks like the best hitting team that Tennessee has had in many years. They may have to score a lot of runs when anyone is in there but Rogers.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Taking classes at a community college in west TN, not currently on their team. I'm not sure that she is going to continue playing.
Thank you! I had heard down here in WT that she was at Jackson State but I just assumed she was playing. Looked at roster and not on it so just wondering!!

She's a good, smart kid that just needs to get some things straightened out. Hopefully this is a step to that.
Yes I hope so as well! Not sure what those things are but she was one of my favorites just like all the WT ladies have been and so will Josie! Thanks!

Shameless plug, but we'll have 51 of the 56 regular season games on either the UT Gameday app or The Sports Animal AM 990 once again this year. We couldn't get everything worked out for the Mexico games, but I'll have the rest on one or both of the platforms.

Additionally, we had Karen Weekly on the show on Friday to discuss practice so far: EA Show - Karen Weekly 1.17.20

So looks like Morgan at first, Parsons at second, Seggern short, Phillips third, Shipman catcher, Holcomb, Milloy, Ayala or Hannon outified. I suspect the one that loses the outfield job will dh and then there is also Webber which I like more than some of the players that are starting like Morgan and Hannon.

Holcomb new leadoff
Parson is a very good hitter in the two spot
Ayala has been hitting third mostly could change if she is not hitting
Seggern
Milloy who could also move to third in the lineup probably where I would put her massive power and expect she will hit for a big average
Shipman this first six looks awesome
Phillips has lots of power hopefully that average is gonna be way up this season
Morgan is really good to be a eighth place hitter
Hannon probably the DH or Webber and Webber can also play first. I think these ten are really gonna get a lot of playing time

Karen seems high on McCrary as well from the interview above. This is as solid as we've been top to bottom for a long time 3,4, and 5 could really have huge years driving in the top three.

So looks like Morgan at first, Parsons at second, Seggern short, Phillips third, Shipman catcher, Holcomb, Milloy, Ayala or Hannon outified. I suspect the one that loses the outfield job will dh and then there is also Webber which I like more than some of the players that are starting like Morgan and Hannon.

Holcomb new leadoff
Seggern
Milloy who could also move to third in the lineup probably where I would put her massive power and expect she will hit for a big average
Phillips has lots of power hopefully that average is gonna be way up this season
Hannon probably the DH or Webber and Webber can also play first. I think these ten are really gonna get a lot of playing time

Karen seems high on McCrary as well from the interview above. This is as solid as we've been top to bottom for a long time 3,4, and 5 could really have huge years driving in the top three.
Hate seeing Seggern come off 3rd.

I do to. I just hope whoever plays there can do a good enough job. I was thinking one of the new freshmen would be SS material. Anyone seen the team practice?

I do to. I just hope whoever plays there can do a good enough job. I was thinking one of the new freshmen would be SS material. Anyone seen the team practice?
Right now that would be Phillips and is certainly the main reason that Seggern is moving to SS to get Phillips bat in the lineup.

Right now that would be Phillips and is certainly the main reason that Seggern is moving to SS to get Phillips bat in the lineup.
Phillips may be able to handle 3rd, not quite as good as Seg but capable. Same with Seg, capable of playing ss but is an AA 3rd. Really hate making the entire left side weaker instead of just 1 position. Jmo of course

Holcomb new leadoff
Seggern

I liked what I saw of Webber in fall ball. Morgan needs to step up her hitting especially in the power side to hold on to first IMHO. Holcomb will not be leading off unless she corrects the stepping out which she had not in fall ball, but we can hope. Good insight.

Anyone living in upper East Tennessee Ut playing in three day tournament at ETSU starting Feb. 28. good seats available (any chair back seat is good, there are not many). Good way to see the team up close and personal. I am right behind home first row.

Phillips may be able to handle 3rd, not quite as good as Seg but capable. Same with Seg, capable of playing ss but is an AA 3rd. Really hate making the entire left side weaker instead of just 1 position. Jmo of course

I think ultimately, McCrary pushes Phillips out at 3rd. Phillips had a great freshman campaign, (anyone watching her play TB would not have been surprised), except the hot start petered out during the SEC schedule. McCrary is very solid with the glove, and has a big bat. Her upside is greater than Phillips.

Nevertheless, this is a good problem to have, with a solid lineup 1-9 and a few extras to play around with.

I don't see this pitching staff panning out this year (outside of Rogers), and it's going to come down to Rogers toting the rock during crunch time on most SEC/tourney games. It's a big leap to think the transfer pitcher is going to come in and out-pitch SEC teams, she didn't look impressive in the Fall at all. I think they are probably a top 3-5 team in the SEC, with a road game in the Regional's if they can out-hit most teams. Just my humble opinion as always.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Before the season starts pitching is my biggest concern. Rogers is great, but lets hope Turner finds the magic control pill. Bender looked like she could be good against left handed batters since her ball tends to naturally break away from them. Hazelwood seem to have good movement but wasn't missing many bats. The others I did not see. Turner has potential but can she throw over the plate. Let's hope so.

I think ultimately, McCrary pushes Phillips out at 3rd. Phillips had a great freshman campaign, (anyone watching her play TB would not have been surprised), except the hot start petered out during the SEC schedule. McCrary is very solid with the glove, and has a big bat. Her upside is greater than Phillips.

Nevertheless, this is a good problem to have, with a solid lineup 1-9 and a few extras to play around with.

I don't see this pitching staff panning out this year (outside of Rogers), and it's going to come down to Rogers toting the rock during crunch time on most SEC/tourney games. It's a big leap to think the transfer pitcher is going to come in and out-pitch SEC teams, she didn't look impressive in the Fall at all. I think they are probably a top 3-5 team in the SEC, with a road game in the Regional's if they can out-hit most teams. Just my humble opinion as always.
Played against both and agree both bats need to be in the lineup and if they go with McCrary at 3 then Phillips could find a spot in the of or 1b. Historically the Weeklys have struggled to put the best hitters in the lineup even if the defense is a tad weaker. I also agree that we’ll go as far as our pitchers can take us, but with good power hitting we might eek out some wins when our pitching doesn’t get off the bus.

VN Store

Back