Preseason SEC outlook/predictions

Bballnut1952

Ok, this is NOT my handy work. I saw this on another message board written by a South Carolina fan.

It’s something to talk about.

I know its still very early but I figured its something to talk about or kill time with no sports going on right now.

A lot of talent returning in 2020 across the SEC. The freshmen class this past year was one of the more impressive things for the conference. A lot of the freshmen and sophomores looked poised to take the next big step next year. Transfers becoming eligible will also be big for a few teams.

1. South Carolina
Dawn has another very strong team poised for a big year next year with the super freshmen class, highlighted by Boston, Beal and Cooke a year older. Losing Herbert Harrigan and Ty Harris are big losses, they were key in helping blend that really strong freshmen class into the team it was last year. But there is still a lot of talent on that bench that can take the next step. Henderson is poised for a really nice year, she provided great minutes and production coming off the bench. Destiny Littleton is now available and will be a nice player to compliment the returning pieces. Eniya Russell is a talented incoming freshmen to keep an eye on.

2. Miss St
Last year was the first year experiencing life without McCowan and they had a tremendous season finishing 2nd in the SEC on the backs of a very talented freshmen and sophomore class. They return the core of the roster that is poised to take the next step. The major shakeup and question mark is how the program transitions now since Vic Schaefer took the Texas job. Will Coach McCray be able to maintain or build onto what the last staff accomplished? She is walking into a great situation from a roster standpoint. Highly coveted transfer Sidney Cooks is now eligible and should be a nice compliment to Carter down in the post. Freshmen Matharu, Jackson and Mingo Young look to further their games after big freshmen seasons.

3. Kentucky
Kentucky was a very strong and solid SEC team last year led by Rhyne Howard. Next year looks to be even better with a much improved supporting cast for Howard to work with. 2019 PAC 12 freshmen on the year Dre'Una Edwards is now eligible. They also bring in more depth with a great incoming freshmen class highlighted by 5 star Wing Treasure Hunt. Kentucky also brings back key role player like Chastity Patterson, Wyatt, Blair Green, and Keke Mckinney. Kentucky has also had a nice offseason so far supplementing their roster in the future with transfers from power 5 programs.

4. Arkansas
Arkansas has improved the last 2 years under coach Neighbors. The loss of Alexis Tolefree is big but Arkansas has found a way to possibly replace her with the addition of Graduate transfer Destiny Slocum. Arkansas returns key contributors such as Dungee, Ramirez, and underclassman Makayla Daniels. Arkansas add highly touted freshmen Elauna Eaton who looks to be contributor early. Arkansas will continue to have a strong punch from its guard but is looking to improve its standing going into next year. Post presence remains a question.

5. Texas AM
A&M spent a great chunk of last season experiencing life without Chennedy Carter, and will do so next season with her departure into the WNBA draft. A&M returns their strong and intimidating post presence with Cierra Johnson and N'Dea Jones. They also return key scoring contributor Kayla Wells. Former highly recruited ND transfer Jordan Nixon is now eligible. It has also been a busy offseason for Coach Blair, supplementing his roster for the future adding Zaay Green and Destiny Pitts. Blair has also supplemented his roster for next years team signing 6-5 JUCO all American Ella Tofaeono. A&M also adds 3 top 100 players who look to contribute next year.

6. Missouri
This prediction may be extremely bold but I anticipate Missouri to make a biggest jump next season of all SEC teams with the eligibility of three highly anticipated transfers including Ladahzia Williams, Shug Dickson, and Shannon Dufficy. Dickson and Dufficy will add experience to the current roster with significant potential scoring punch. Dickson averaged 14.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Tulsa. Dufficy is one to watch averaging 15.8 points and 10.3 rebounds per game as a junior at Utah State. Rising stars Haley Franks and Aijah Blackwell look to build on their impressive freshmen seasons and look to have a better supporting cast next year. Nadia Green and Haley Troop look to provide depth behind the core group next year.

7. Tennessee
Tennessee has had an eventful offseason so far with the news of Zaay Green and Jasmine Massengil transferring. That leaves some holes and questions going into next year. Most importantly, Tennessee returns Rennia Davis who is poised for a big senior year. Freshmen Jordan Horston and Tamari Key look to take the next steps. Coach harper has been quick to. try to add depth and talent to the roster, after recently signing European wing player Marta Suarez and graduate transfer Keyen Green. Tennessee also looks for incoming freshmen Destiny Salary to be an early contributor next season. Tennesse looks to take the next step under Coach Harper.

8. LSU
LSU experienced life without Ayanna Mitchell early after she went down with a season ending knee injury. LSU looks to replace and build onto the season they had last year, as they looked to be turning the corner before Ayanna Mitchell went down. The loss of Mitchell was rough for the tigers as they lost 5 of their last 7 games showing some vulnerability and holes that will need to be addressed going into next season. LSU will look to lean on Khayla Pointer and Faustin Aifuwa lead the tigers in 2020. Awa Trasi played a more prominent role since the injury of Ayanna Mitchell, giving LSU more range and a scoring threat from 3. LSU is looking for incoming transfer Sarah Shematsi from France and rising sophomore Tiara Young to help turn the page for the tigers. LSU will have a lot of experience having a large senior class to lean on going into next season. LSU looks to try to improve their free throw shooting as it was among the worst in the conference last season.

9. Georgia
Georgia appeared to show improvement towards the end of last season. They return their top 3 scorers, highlighted by Maryland transfer Jenna Staiti. UCONN Mikayla Coombs will now be eligible providing additional depth for next years team. Georgia will need to look for ways to improve their scoring as shooting was a weakness many times throughout the season.

10. Florida
Florida made a big jump from last season moving from 8 to 15 wins on the backs of a very young team highlighted by Freshmen star lavender Briggs. Florida return key scoring contributors with Kiara Smith, Nina Richards and Kristina Moore. Florida. Bigger for Florida, Danielle Rainey will be back and available after sustaining a injury that caused her to miss the 19-2020 season. Additional help is on the way with incoming freshmen 5 star recruit Jordyn Merrit who looks to be a contributor early. Florida appears to be trending in the right direction but looks to make a bigger push next season.

11. Alabama
Alabama showed a lot of promise towards the end of the season with key upsets, highlighted by upsetting MSU down in Starkville. They return 3 key senior contributors Jordan Lewis, Jasmine Walker and Ariyah Copeland. Alabama inked three transfers to supplement the roster highlighted by Taylor Sutton, who unfortunately will have to sit for the 2020-2021 season.

12. Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt looks to get over the hurdle soon. With improvement last season, a lot was left to be desired. The loss of Briane Alexander to injury was a lot for Vanderbilt to recover from. Freshmen phenom Koi Love returns and will have some helping getting back Brinae Alexander, and Chelsie Hall. The loss of Fasoula leaves a glaring question in who will step up to provide a strong post presence. Stephanie White may be running out of time.

13. Auburn
It has not been a pleasant offseason so far for Auburn as the team is facing mass exodus of players to transfer.
Robyn Benton, Brooke Moore, Lauren Hansen have entered the transfer portal along with backup forward Natalie Kelly.
Benton (10.1 points per game), Moore (8.6 ppg) and Hansen (7.9) were all regular starters last season and made up a large part of their scoring behind junior Unique Thompson (16.2) and senior Daisa Alexander (13.8). Time may be running out for Coach Flournoy. Baylor transfer Honesty Scott Grayson looks to be a major contributor next year replacing a lot of lost production.

14. Ole Miss
Coach Yo still has her hands full trying to rebuild an Ole Miss program that has seen its roster turned over the last few seasons. Ole Miss was by far the worst team in the conference going 0-16 but looks to build towards the future with some continuity. moving forward. Ole Miss will look towards its freshmen class highlighted by two 5 star players Madison Scott and Jacorriah Bracey. Good news for Ole Miss is Valerie Nesbitt will be returning, and was one of Ole Miss's top players last season. Ole Miss will have a lot more potential in the future with the addition of Maryland transfer Shakira Austin but will have to wait a year before that happens. There is. a lot of potential moving forward if they can keep the talented kids they recently brought in.

I know my predictions are whack but I went bold with a few teams. 6-8 could all be interchangeable.

Reactions: JustaChicken
Probably because the author of that breakdown doesn’t think a 3 star, outside the top 100 and 29th ranked guard willl contribute much her freshman season.
I can hear the knights suiting up in their outrage amour! Let me quickly add that Tess is more than welcome to add this author who ignored her to the list of crow-eaters when she walks off with the Final Four MVP award in 2 or 3 yrs. Let it be.

Probably because the author of that breakdown doesn’t think a 3 star, outside the top 100 and 29th ranked guard willl contribute much her freshman season.
Actually Tess is rated a four star by prospect nation and he really hurt his reliability when he mentioned Salary and not Darby since when they played against each other Darby outscored Salary by a few points and hit five threes in that game. Not saying she is a better player than Salary saying they are right there on the same level when it comes to scoring, handling the ball, and playing defense. Having seen Darby play four times last season she is certainly far better than most are expecting. Like all freshmen there will be a speed of the game and learning curve, but she is going to step in and give us solid minutes from game one.

I really wish you would change your screen name to reflect the fact that you're not a Lady Vol fan making fairly constant, barely subtle, digs at our players.

It would be great if each member had an affiliation banner under their screen name that said something like Georgia Tech fan rather than "well known member"

Maybe change the avatar to a power T ?

The SEC teams that I think will go to the 2021 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament and the 2021 WNIT Tournament as of now

2021 NCAA Womens Basketball Tournament teams

South Carolina #1 Seed
Arkansas #3 Seed
Mississippi State #4 Seed
LSU #4 Seed
Kentucky #5 Seed
Tennessee #6 Seed
Texas A&M #8 Seed
Alabama #9 Seed

2021 WNIT Tournament Teams

Georgia #2 Seed
Florida #4 Seed
Missouri #5 Seed

The SEC teams that I think will go to the 2021 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament and the 2021 WNIT Tournament as of now

2021 NCAA Womens Basketball Tournament teams

South Carolina #1 Seed
Arkansas #3 Seed
Mississippi State #4 Seed
LSU #4 Seed
Kentucky #5 Seed
Tennessee #6 Seed
Texas A&M #8 Seed
Alabama #9 Seed

Georgia #2 Seed
Florida #4 Seed
Missouri #5 Seed

Interesting selections. I'll take a guess as well:

South Carolina #2 Seed
Mississippi State #3 Seed
Kentucky #4 Seed
Tennessee #4 Seed
LSU #7 Seed
Arkansas #7 Seed
Texas A&M #8 Seed
Alabama #9 Seed

Georgia
Florida
Missouri
Vandy

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Actually Tess is rated a four star by prospect nation and he really hurt his reliability when he mentioned Salary and not Darby since when they played against each other Darby outscored Salary by a few points and hit five threes in that game. Not saying she is a better player than Salary saying they are right there on the same level when it comes to scoring, handling the ball, and playing defense. Having seen Darby play four times last season she is certainly far better than most are expecting. Like all freshmen there will be a speed of the game and learning curve, but she is going to step in and give us solid minutes from game one.

Yes to this. Looking forward to Destiny, Tess, and Marta bonding as a class and pushing each other to make an early impact with quality minutes.

I really wish you would change your screen name to reflect the fact that you're not a Lady Vol fan making fairly constant, barely subtle, digs at our players.
That wasn't a dig. It's a reflection of how ESPN rated her. I hope she out performs those ratings.

My screen name doesn't reflect that I'm a Lady Vol fan. I've been totally honest that they are my second favorite team after Rutgers.

I'll try to remember where I am more. Sorry.

Reactions: mcannon1
Okay I didn’t want to say anything because i haven’t been particularly active this year, and thought maybe I missed something, because I remember a poster on here a long time ago that went by bballnut if I’m not mistaken and they were an avid Lady Vol fan and contributed a lot of well thought out pieces to the board.

I’m glad someone else noticed!

I did it....but I don't take digs at the Tennessee program.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
That wasn't a dig. It's a reflection of how ESPN rated her. I hope she out performs those ratings.

My screen name doesn't reflect that I'm a Lady Vol fan. I've been totally honest that they are my second favorite team after Rutgers.

I'll try to remember where I am more. Sorry.

Maybe you could put a tagline at the bottom of your texts, because unless you mention in every post that you are NOT a Lady Vols fan who is making the type of comments that you often make, but shouldn't, then the casual looker-on isn't going to know who you are. Don't you see how you snapping back with that comment with your explanation for why she wasn't mentioned is the type of comment YOU shouldn't make???? Seriously.

And for real. How many times are you going to apologize for suddenly forgetting where you are and promising to do better next time?

Reactions: Rickster
Okay I didn’t want to say anything because i haven’t been particularly active this year, and thought maybe I missed something, because I remember a poster on here a long time ago that went by bballnut if I’m not mistaken and they were an avid Lady Vol fan and contributed a lot of well thought out pieces to the board.

Believe that person now posts on The-Boneyard, under bballnut90...

Reactions: ChattyVolfan
And for real. How many times are you going to apologize for suddenly forgetting where you are and promising to do better next time?

I’ve posted several times who I root for and I have a few hundred posts so I guess I figure folks here know where I am coming from when I post.

I’ll aplogize every time I upset someone with what I post.

Reactions: mcannon1
One thing I will be watching closely will be how Miss St does without Vic. The talent did not bolt (yet) so will the team continue to improve at the same rate as when Vic was there or do they stagnate putting in a new offense and defense.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back