Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

They certainly have SOME fans outside of Manchester, but I’d say their share of US based fans is smaller than United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and possibly even Everton. Not really sure how to test this theory, but the next time NBC does a live morning event I’ll try and compare people wearing City gear with those of other clubs. I think they’ve got another one in a week or two. I will say, ironically, the last person I saw walking around in Knoxville with PL gear on was wearing a City shirt.
Disagree on Spurs and Everton. Quickly gaining on others. One way to judge is number of YouTube views. City is on the rise.

I think it’s worth noting that the bright blue seats at the Etihad contribute massively to the Emptihad reputation. In a cold weather climate where everyone is going to need to wear a (usually) dark colored winter coat the match, EVERY empty seat sticks out like a sore thumb. Most grounds have considerably darker seats that blend into the crowd if they’re unoccupied. Or Brentford who specifically designed their stadium with multi-colored seats to combat this problem.

Also, with drinking in view of the pitch prohibited in England, the empty seats may not be going unused for the entire match, but simply belong to someone who dipped out early to the concourse for their halftime drink, or is late to return.

Here’s my picture from when I was there last year. There aren’t THAT many empty seats, but the ones that are really stand out.
View attachment 497060
Great picture!

For sure. The reputation is worse than the actual attendance.
It’s trumped up. The actual attendance numbers are strong. Also, whoever said attendance makes up the lions share of revenue generated by a team clearly has no knowledge of how sports franchises work. Even if it did, City ranked top 5-7 in attendance.

Well, that was a big 3 points on a must win for Chelsea. Win next week at AC Milan and things will be looking up.

I didn’t see what happened as my game just switch to the PSG game, but PSG is PISSED about something. So mad that Neymar and Hakimi looked like they were ready to throw hands at their own coach?

It’s trumped up. The actual attendance numbers are strong. Also, whoever said attendance makes up the lions share of revenue generated by a team clearly has no knowledge of how sports franchises work. Even if it did, City ranked top 5-7 in attendance.
Is this supposed to be some passive aggressive dig at me? If not, apologies in advance. If so, never said the lion share nor implied it.

For a short trip, Liverpool is probably a little better. If you’re only in London for a few days, you’re likely to do all touristy stuff, and it’ll be miserably crowded everywhere you go. You really need a little longer so that you actually have a chance to get a bit off the beaten path and explore.
That’s what I’ve heard. Got a friend in London now, and basically that’s what they said. They will be our tour guide so I’m hoping my opinion will change. It didn’t exactly help that I got food poisoning while I was there either.

Play has been halted because someone shot a flare onto the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWAvols
I think it’s worth noting that the bright blue seats at the Etihad contribute massively to the Emptihad reputation. In a cold weather climate where everyone is going to need to wear a (usually) dark colored winter coat the match, EVERY empty seat sticks out like a sore thumb. Most grounds have considerably darker seats that blend into the crowd if they’re unoccupied. Or Brentford who specifically designed their stadium with multi-colored seats to combat this problem.

Also, with drinking in view of the pitch prohibited in England, the empty seats may not be going unused for the entire match, but simply belong to someone who dipped out early to the concourse for their halftime drink, or is late to return.

Here’s my picture from when I was there last year. There aren’t THAT many empty seats, but the ones that are really stand out.
View attachment 497060
I know they have had problems historically with hooliganism that pale in comparison to anything that has happened in US sports, but perhaps they should consider changing that rule. Doesn't that just further encourage binge drinking before the match?

How does that rule even work, exactly? Are there people standing at the entryway back to the seats to make sure nobody walks down there with a beer? You have to stand down in the concourse, crush your beer, and then return to your seat?

No way this is true, right? I know base salary is lower but with easy, obtainable bonuses he can get up to 900K a week!? Somehow it’s still worth it the way he’s playing 😂😂

I know they have had problems historically with hooliganism that pale in comparison to anything that has happened in US sports, but perhaps they should consider changing that rule. Doesn't that just further encourage binge drinking before the match?

How does that rule even work, exactly? Are there people standing at the entryway back to the seats to make sure nobody walks down there with a beer? You have to stand down in the concourse, crush your beer, and then return to your seat?
In my experience, there are FAAAR less drunken people at EPL matches than American football games. The game only lasts a little over an hour and a half, so you get a drink before, maybe at halftime, and hit the pub on your way home. Yes, there are stewards that make sure fans don’t return to their seats with drinks. Nobody drinks except right around halftime. Normally everyone crowds into the concourse and chats while they drink, on a good day, everyone sings the entire time.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I've not been in this thread because of how pathetic Liverpool has been this season. Midfield is garbage, TAA is completely disappearing in critical junctions. Nunez looks like a massive overspend, though he is young. Players don't seem motivated and Salah and Van Djik have been shells of themselves. Otherwise, things are looking great :)

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
I've not been in this thread because of how pathetic Liverpool has been this season. Midfield is garbage, TAA is completely disappearing in critical junctions. Nunez looks like a massive overspend, though he is young. Players don't seem motivated and Salah and Van Djik have been shells of themselves. Otherwise, things are looking great :)

TAA has been exposed this season a bit. He’s had a stellar defense the past however many years that’s disguised his inefficiencies at defending. Just my opinion. Honestly, still think he’d be a better attacking midfielder than a RB/RWB.. but I could be way off on that. His CL goal this week shows that he is still one of the best offensive defenders in the world.

Nunez still needs more time, in my opinion. Saw a quote from him the other day that said he “has no idea what Klopp says in his team talks” and that he has to rely on other players to translate it for him. I know language barriers can be a common theme for football clubs so I’m sure they have a plan for him and he will get more comfortable as time goes on. He’s still a good player he just needs time to adjust and not feel the heavy weight of pressure from his price tag.

TAA has been exposed this season a bit. He’s had a stellar defense the past however many years that’s disguised his inefficiencies at defending. Just my opinion. Honestly, still think he’d be a better attacking midfielder than a RB/RWB.. but I could be way off on that. His CL goal this week shows that he is still one of the best offensive defenders in the world.

Nunez still needs more time, in my opinion. Saw a quote from him the other day that said he “has no idea what Klopp says in his team talks” and that he has to rely on other players to translate it for him. I know language barriers can be a common theme for football clubs so I’m sure they have a plan for him and he will get more comfortable as time goes on. He’s still a good player he just needs time to adjust and not feel the heavy weight of pressure from his price tag.
Just my .02 but I think some of the knocks on TAA are a little harsh (from media). It’s Klopps philosophy to play a high back line. MF has been unable to effectively press due to injuries and old fvcks like Milner, which just leaves the back line exposed. VVD hasn’t really been the same since Pickford fvcked him.

On Nunez - you’re right, there is a massive communication barrier. Same with Diaz - he can barely communicate either. Hell even the guys who do speak English can barely understand a word Robbo says. I also think PL is so hard to adjust to as well. It usually takes some a while to get up to speed. He’s no drunk Andy Carroll (yet).

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Just my .02 but I think some of the knocks on TAA are a little harsh (from media). It’s Klopps philosophy to play a high back line. MF has been unable to effectively press due to injuries and old fvcks like Milner, which just leaves the back line exposed. VVD hasn’t really been the same since Pickford fvcked him.

On Nunez - you’re right, there is a massive communication barrier. Same with Diaz - he can barely communicate either. Hell even the guys who do speak English can barely understand a word Robbo says. I also think PL is so hard to adjust to as well. It usually takes some a while to get up to speed. He’s no drunk Andy Carroll (yet).

Yeah some of it is probably a little harsh at times but I do think he is a slightly below average to average at best defender. The catch is he hasn’t really had to be in Klopps system like you mentioned, but now with the things you mentioned it’s really brought to light some of his deficiencies. He will be fine and will eventually get over the struggles but it will take his teammates to help out with that one.

The battle for WC starting spot between TAA and Reece James is going to be a good one. What an embarrassment of riches England have in that spot.

Imagine saying this with your team sitting top half of the table and four points off the CL places. Must be nice. Really speaks to the standard Klopp and Co. have set over the past 5-6 seasons.

Imagine saying this with your team sitting top half of the table and four points off the CL places. Must be nice. Really speaks to the standard Klopp and Co. have set over the past 5-6 seasons.
Jay Spearing playing with u21’s this year was a frightening reminder

Last edited:
Just reading the tea leaves it seems like Jude is destined for Madrid, unfortunately.
As a person who’s favorite league is the Champions League, I for one am glad to see some talent choosing to go elsewhere that isn’t England.

(Yes, I do watch other leagues besides the CL)

Last edited:
Reactions: Godfatha

Klopp has definitely spoiled me as a fan. I've been following them since the early Brendan Rodgers days.

That said, it's frustrating to see us be world class and neck and neck with Man City the last few seasons and on the cusp of the quad, and then come crashing back down while Man City maintain their excellent play and standards. It seems all mental with the boys at this point, and that's the truly puzzling part of the whole thing.

VN Store

Back