Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

I understand how they only pay so much up front but I’ve only really seen this with players over 60M give or take. And from what I’ve see, clubs usually want a majority of it up front. To say that LFC have a higher balance than City just seems laughable at face value. Hell they can’t even fill their stadium consistently and that’s even while City sits at the top. Those departures you listed are all very recent too. It’s not like City have been doing that for the past 5-10 years. Not sure where you pulled the above or how it is explicitly calculating its numbers but I have not read any articles that put City that low on net spend.
I pulled it from the most used transfer data site out there. What does filling a stadium against Victoria Plizen on a Wednesday night have to do with anything? When factoring buys vs sales the past 5 years, City is lower than Liverpool. Oh well. Just stop making it seem like you guys are the Tampa Rays.

I pulled it from the most used transfer data site out there. What does filling a stadium against Victoria Plizen on a Wednesday night have to do with anything? When factoring buys vs sales the past 5 years, City is lower than Liverpool. Oh well. Just stop making it seem like you guys are the Tampa Rays.
I hadn’t even noticed that little nugget in his post until you pointed it out. City have really only been a powerhouse for about a decade, and prior to that they were the cross-town little brother to one of the biggest brands on the planet. As such, the overwhelming majority of their fanbase is still just local. Liverpool on the other hand also enjoy a worldwide fanbase, which harkens back to what we were discussing the other day about how they benefitted from being on top when the PL went global back in the early 90’s.

It’s kind of a running joke amongst Everton fans that all the actual Liverpudlians support Everton, and tourists (mostly Norwegian) are who fill up Anfield. It’s no different at Old Trafford though. LOTS of half and half scarves on display there. Unless you want to stroll around Manchester flaunting the fact that you are a football tourist, I’d recommend not buying on of those when you’re at The Etihad later this year, lol.

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind
It’s definitely not just Victoria Plizen on a Wednesday. And what does it have to do with anything? Fans are are very essential to clubs financially and apparently city weren’t generating enough revenue to warrant their expenditures per their run in with FFP.

I hadn’t even noticed that little nugget in his post until you pointed it out. City have really only been a powerhouse for about a decade, and prior to that they were the cross-town little brother to one of the biggest brands on the planet. As such, the overwhelming majority of their fanbase is still just local. Liverpool on the other hand also enjoy a worldwide fanbase, which harkens back to what we were discussing the other day about how they benefitted from being on top when the PL went global back in the early 90’s.

It’s kind of a running joke amongst Everton fans that all the actual Liverpudlians support Everton, and tourists (mostly Norwegian) are who fill up Anfield. It’s no different at Old Trafford though. LOTS of half and half scarves on display there. Unless you want to stroll around Manchester flaunting the fact that you are a football tourist, I’d recommend not buying on of those when you’re at The Etihad later this year, lol.
This guy gets it. We were always little brother to United for the longest. City still has a lot of history. Been around since 1894 but overshadowed by the big spenders to the west. We occasionally would challenge and did in fact win several titles when the King Colin Bell played. Even still you had Liverpool dominating the 70's and United dominating the 80's-early 2000's. Then suddenly City gets new owners and they actually invest. They followed a similar model to Chelsea, but better IMO. Now all the old guys (LiVARpool, united and to a lesser degree Spurs and Gunners) don't like it. It disrupted the top 4. Hell, even Bayern got mad when we took Pep and now La Liga has their panties in a wad. Good. I'm unapologetic. I liked them when they were third tier.

Last edited:
It’s definitely not just Victoria Plizen on a Wednesday. And what does it have to do with anything? Fans are are very essential to clubs financially and apparently city weren’t generating enough revenue to warrant their expenditures per their run in with FFP.
You were saying.

1664928713805.png

Wow, during your runner-up finish last year you guys managed so many more fans than City last year. Cheers! I'll take the title and the 5000 vacant seats over 18 home games. Wait a tick, did you guys have available seats too?

1664928812365.png

It’s definitely not just Victoria Plizen on a Wednesday and what does it have to do with anything. Fans are are very essential to clubs financially.
No debating that fans are essential. Just saying that comparing Liverpool with City in terms of their ability to fill comparable sized stadiums is a fool’s errand. Twenty years ago City were in League One and probably best known for being the club that Noel and Liam Gallagher supported. Liverpool have been one of the 10 most recognizable brands in the sport for three decades. They just aren’t drawing from the same potential number of fans at this point in time.

Sounds like I may be making it back to Anfield in May
Nice. How many times have you been before? I’ve been once, FA Cup 3rd round in 2018. It was Van Dijk’s Liverpool debut, so OF COURSE he scored the winner late in the match. Everton’s second half equalizer was the most insane celebration I’ve ever been a part of at a sporting event. I was somewhere down in the middle of the away end.

No debating that fans are essential. Just saying that comparing Liverpool with City in terms of their ability to fill comparable sized stadiums is a fool’s errand. Twenty years ago City were in League One and probably best known for being the club that Noel and Liam Gallagher supported. Liverpool have been one of the 10 most recognizable brands in the sport for three decades. They just aren’t drawing from the same potential number of fans at this point in time.
Agreed. Liverpool are like the Red Sox. Not every fan is a die hard. I recognize they have a larger fanbase, for now.

But that is my point. More fans = more merch/ticket sales, attracts more lucrative sponsorships, etc. So then the question begs where is all this money coming from to fund all the high dollar transfers? Therein lies the problem. It’s essentially blood money from Abu Dhabi. That’s the problem FFP had with City.

Nice. How many times have you been before? I’ve been once, FA Cup 3rd round in 2018. It was Van Dijk’s Liverpool debut, so OF COURSE he scored the winner late in the match. Everton’s second half equalizer was the most insane celebration I’ve ever been a part of at a sporting event. I was somewhere down in the middle of the away end.

This will be third EPL game and second at Anfield. Also been in LFC section away at West Ham and various friendlies/preseason matches although those aren’t even close to the same atmosphere. I’ve been following LFC since I was young and now finally have the means to see them in person.

That's interesting because among soccer fans in the US, you don't have to look hard to find a City fan. I figured they would have a ton of bandwagon fans, because as you alluded to the group of people who supported them before the oil sheiks bought them was fairly small.

I don't have sympathy for them, but United's decline has to be doubly frustrating because it has coincided with the rise of City. Not only have they struggled, but the crosstown little brother team is a juggernaut now, like United used to be. I'm sure that isn't purely coincidental either.

That's interesting because among soccer fans in the US, you don't have to look hard to find a City fan. I figured they would have a ton of bandwagon fans, because as you alluded to the group of people who supported them before the oil sheiks bought them was fairly small.

I don't have sympathy for them, but United's decline has to be doubly frustrating because it has coincided with the rise of City. Not only have they struggled, but the crosstown little brother team is a juggernaut now, like United used to be. I'm sure that isn't purely coincidental either.
They certainly have SOME fans outside of Manchester, but I’d say their share of US based fans is smaller than United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and possibly even Everton. Not really sure how to test this theory, but the next time NBC does a live morning event I’ll try and compare people wearing City gear with those of other clubs. I think they’ve got another one in a week or two. I will say, ironically, the last person I saw walking around in Knoxville with PL gear on was wearing a City shirt.

Reactions: 05_never_again
This will be third EPL game and second at Anfield. Also been in LFC section away at West Ham and various friendlies/preseason matches although those aren’t even close to the same atmosphere. I’ve been following LFC since I was young and now finally have the means to see them in person.
Nice. You spending a few days in Liverpool, or just getting the train up from London?

Jealous if that WHU away you went to was at Upton Park. If you went to the Olympic Stadium, congrats on experiencing one of the worst grounds in the PL. The stadium itself is nice, just not designed in any way for the sport that is currently played there.

Nice. You spending a few days in Liverpool, or just getting the train up from London?

Jealous if that WHU away you went to was at Upton Park. If you went to the Olympic Stadium, congrats on experiencing one of the worst grounds in the PL. The stadium itself is nice, just not designed in any way for the sport that is currently played there.
It unfortunately was Olympic Stadium. Just happened to line up with our trip and allowed us to get 2 matches in. Our last trip, we spent 2 days in Liverpool. This go around, I’d imagine we will just stay for the night and head back to London. Honestly, I enjoyed my time more in Liverpool than London. I’ve never been a big fan of London.

It unfortunately was Olympic Stadium. Just happened to line up with our trip and allowed us to get 2 matches in. Our last trip, we spent 2 days in Liverpool. This go around, I’d imagine we will just stay for the night and head back to London. Honestly, I enjoyed my time more in Liverpool than London. I’ve never been a big fan of London.
For a short trip, Liverpool is probably a little better. If you’re only in London for a few days, you’re likely to do all touristy stuff, and it’ll be miserably crowded everywhere you go. You really need a little longer so that you actually have a chance to get a bit off the beaten path and explore.

Stats lives matters

Lol. I’m stealing that saying for future conversations with some buddies of mine, thanks.

In all seriousness, attendance numbers are always a bit skewed. Idk how PL calculates their attendance numbers whether it’s actual scanned tickets and butts in the seat or ticket sales numbers. It very well could be the count of people actually entering the stadium in these stats. I will just say I remember watching the semi final last year and the home leg for City was a bit disappointing on TV. I’m pretty sure it was the semi final at least but I do remember it was an important game. Idk what they said that attendance number was but it was a huge game and there were #EmptihadStadium hashtags all over Twitter because of the turnout. I don’t watch enough games to know for sure, just giving my vantage point for that game.

For the record, I think the reputation of #Emptihad is worse than the actual attendance numbers. Somewhere in the middle.. but not totally indifferent than a lot of clubs.

Lol. I’m stealing that saying for future conversations with some buddies of mine, thanks.

In all seriousness, attendance numbers are always a bit skewed. Idk how PL calculates their attendance numbers whether it’s actual scanned tickets and butts in the seat or ticket sales numbers. It very well could be the count of people actually entering the stadium in these stats. I will just say I remember watching the semi final last year and the home leg for City was a bit disappointing on TV. I’m pretty sure it was the semi final at least but I do remember it was an important game. Idk what they said that attendance number was but it was a huge game and there were #EmptihadStadium hashtags all over Twitter because of the turnout. I don’t watch enough games to know for sure, just giving my vantage point for that game.

For the record, I think the reputation of #Emptihad is worse than the actual attendance numbers. Somewhere in the middle.. but not totally indifferent than a lot of clubs.
I think it’s worth noting that the bright blue seats at the Etihad contribute massively to the Emptihad reputation. In a cold weather climate where everyone is going to need to wear a (usually) dark colored winter coat the match, EVERY empty seat sticks out like a sore thumb. Most grounds have considerably darker seats that blend into the crowd if they’re unoccupied. Or Brentford who specifically designed their stadium with multi-colored seats to combat this problem.

Also, with drinking in view of the pitch prohibited in England, the empty seats may not be going unused for the entire match, but simply belong to someone who dipped out early to the concourse for their halftime drink, or is late to return.

Here’s my picture from when I was there last year. There aren’t THAT many empty seats, but the ones that are really stand out.
6B6E017D-4DAC-4BB6-936B-D70FD1B67FCB.jpeg

I think it’s worth noting that the bright blue seats at the Etihad contribute massively to the Emptihad reputation. In a cold weather climate where everyone is going to need to wear a (usually) dark colored winter coat the match, EVERY empty seat sticks out like a sore thumb. Most grounds have considerably darker seats that blend into the crowd if they’re unoccupied. Or Brentford who specifically designed their stadium with multi-colored seats to combat this problem.

Also, with drinking in view of the pitch prohibited in England, the empty seats may not be going unused for the entire match, but simply belong to someone who dipped out early to the concourse for their halftime drink, or is late to return.

Here’s my picture from when I was there last year. There aren’t THAT many empty seats, but the ones that are really stand out.
View attachment 497060

For sure. The reputation is worse than the actual attendance.

VN Store

Back