Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

I run a lawn care business, so I have some extended downtime in the winter. First went to England to go to the Merseyside Derby several years ago, and kind of fell in love with the country, and especially London along the way. Over the past 5-6 years I’ve probably spent the equivalent of nearly a year there, so if you need suggestions, I’m probably your guy. I’m flying over the day before you, and staying through the first week of February following Everton around and also hoping to check off several new grounds that I haven’t visited yet on days they aren’t playing.

Would strongly advise against you trying to score secondhand tickets to that Arsenal game. Unless you’re an actual Arsenal fan make a pilgrimage to see your team, The Emirates isn’t really even a top 10 English experience. Also, you run the risk of getting scammed with fake tickets on the secondary market, plus it’s technically illegal. Just not worth the effort IMO, besides, there’s other things in London you would probably enjoy more.

One other thing I would HIGHLY recommend is getting tickets to SkyGarden. It’s the upper floors of an office building, but the view is incredible. Tickets are free, but must be reserved in advance. The dates you will be in London are currently available, so if you guys want to go, I’d book those sooner rather than later. Look up what time the sun sets on the day you want to go, and try to get a timeslot about 30-45 minutes before that. Here’s a picture from the last time I was up there.
View attachment 523882

Also, what part of London are you staying in?

I know we don’t have PM capabilities on this site anymore, but if you want to get in touch, my email is my VN username @gmail. We can swap info from there.
Wow, what a view. I shot you an email.

I run a lawn care business, so I have some extended downtime in the winter. First went to England to go to the Merseyside Derby several years ago, and kind of fell in love with the country, and especially London along the way. Over the past 5-6 years I’ve probably spent the equivalent of nearly a year there, so if you need suggestions, I’m probably your guy. I’m flying over the day before you, and staying through the first week of February following Everton around and also hoping to check off several new grounds that I haven’t visited yet on days they aren’t playing.

Would strongly advise against you trying to score secondhand tickets to that Arsenal game. Unless you’re an actual Arsenal fan make a pilgrimage to see your team, The Emirates isn’t really even a top 10 English experience. Also, you run the risk of getting scammed with fake tickets on the secondary market, plus it’s technically illegal. Just not worth the effort IMO, besides, there’s other things in London you would probably enjoy more.

One other thing I would HIGHLY recommend is getting tickets to SkyGarden. It’s the upper floors of an office building, but the view is incredible. Tickets are free, but must be reserved in advance. The dates you will be in London are currently available, so if you guys want to go, I’d book those sooner rather than later. Look up what time the sun sets on the day you want to go, and try to get a timeslot about 30-45 minutes before that. Here’s a picture from the last time I was up there.
View attachment 523882

Also, what part of London are you staying in?

I know we don’t have PM capabilities on this site anymore, but if you want to get in touch, my email is my VN username @gmail. We can swap info from there.
Staying in Victoria btw.

Just a reminder to everyone playing in the Fantasy League to start setting your lineups again since the PL is back the day after Christmas.
To add to this: right now is a transfer window. You have unlimited free transfers so if you want to reshape your squad.. now is the time.

To add to this: right now is a transfer window. You have unlimited free transfers so if you want to reshape your squad.. now is the time.
So in other words, for those of us too dumb to have picked Haaland at the start of the season, now is the time to get with the program.

I think he has participated in some of their friendlies over the break.

Pep just came out and said that the WC players have come back in better shape than the players that didn’t participate in the WC who stayed back and trained. I mean, that makes sense, they have game shape fitness and while friendlies help they aren’t as intense.

I have waivered about getting season tix to my local team (CF Montreal), but still struggle to fully support MLS.

The quality is obviously lacking, and I have watched very little MLS since NBC got the EPL. But I have followed since the inception.

I was living in DC when it started and would go to United games. Man the quality was bad early on, though United had some good players. I went to a lot of Quakes games when I lived in the Bay Area, but didn’t get season tickets because driving down to San Jose sucks. Quakes stadium is great and it is a fun atmosphere.

Pep just came out and said that the WC players have come back in better shape than the players that didn’t participate in the WC who stayed back and trained. I mean, that makes sense, they have game shape fitness and while friendlies help they aren’t as intense.
His ankle is also fully healed after the Hummels challenge in CL. After that play Haaland was hampered. He’s full tilt now. The break came at a good time for both he and Kyle Walker.

Also, never believe anything managers say. They are masters of misinformation. Anything to gain an advantage. 3pm today caribou cup City vs Liverpool. Wonder if they’ll both go for it or play second team.

Also, never believe anything managers say. They are masters of misinformation. Anything to gain an advantage. 3pm today caribou cup City vs Liverpool. Wonder if they’ll both go for it or play second team.
The only thing we can know for sure is that Klopp will complain about fixture congestion. Either they'll lose playing the second team and he'll whine about having to play a rotated squad, lose with the first team and whine about how this is too soon after the WC and nobody was fit yet, or win with the first team and preemptively whine about how close this match is to Boxing Day.

I agree with what you’re saying but in this instance there is truth in what he said. Not that Haaland will be out of shape or rusty, that’s not the case. The truth was though that the WC players that are already back that crashed out of the group stage or quarterfinals... those guys have been able to rest a bit but also will be in a little bit more game shape than the players that didn’t play in the WC. Friendlies and training are not the same intensity as WC training and playing. Peps not the only manager I’ve heard mention that this week. It’ll be interesting to watch how managers navigate this little nuance, especially for the players that made it deep into the WC. They will be in good shape, but also mentally and physically tired too.

I forgot Carabou cup was back today. Missed the early games but I’m definitely going to watch the Liverpool vs City game. I hope we get to see them both go for it. Always an entertaining match to watch.

Anybody got a good link to stream European soccer matches? The WC, combined with CFB's coming wind down, has me interested in watching more games.

VN Store

Back