Predictions of players leaving early.

Some are and some aren't, I didn’t turn 18 until my freshman year started and turned 19 fall of my sophomore year. But he didn't miss out on a year of playing experience or anything like that at the lower level, nor would I think his body development is really any different than someone 8 months older than he is.
That’s just like your opinion, man. I’m just stating the fact he’s over a year younger than an average freshman

Is April 24 the deadline for declaring for the draft? Was listening to the radio and one person said July 19 and another said April.

The deadline to declare for the draft for underclassmen is April 24. However, the more important deadline is June 1, which is the deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft for players who tested the waters but choose to return to school.

Reactions: bigdaddy
That’s just like your opinion, man. I’m just stating the fact he’s over a year younger than an average freshman

Jabari Smith is still 18 as well. Trevor Keels at Duke is younger than BHH. Jalen Duren is younger than BHH. Emoni Bates is younger than BHH. Out of the 10 freshmen on the 24/7 preseason freshmen All-American teams, BHH was older than three, within a few months of 5, and more than a year younger than only two.

Jabari Smith is still 18 as well. Trevor Keels at Duke is younger than BHH. Jalen Duren is younger than BHH. Emoni Bates is younger than BHH. Out of the 10 freshmen on the 24/7 preseason freshmen All-American teams, BHH was older than three, within a few months of 5, and more than a year younger than only two.
Im not claiming he’s youngest freshman in the country. BTO said he isn’t young for his class which isn’t true. The average freshman is over a year older than him.

BHH is young for his class, and I can tell you that because my son's birthday is two days away from it. We had the very same dilemma/decision to make regarding when to start him in class. You choose to be one of, if not, the youngest in the class or the oldest in the class. The August birthdays are tricky. Keels is only a few weeks behind. Duren is just an exception. He also played in the AAC, and I think it would have been different in the SEC.

Bates is not even in the discussion because he can't even go pro until 2023, and this year at Memphis showed he wasn't quite ready.

Reactions: golfballs
You can't shoot 11% from 3 point range and expect to win many games. You live by the 3, You die by the 3.

We didn’t live by the 3 in that game. We had 18 3 point attempts and made 2…. All except one or maybe two were wide open rhythm shots as well. They just would not fall. And our best 4 shooters took all 18 of the shots.
And they had a guy shoot 100% in the 2nd half……We are simply cursed.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Im not claiming he’s youngest freshman in the country. BTO said he isn’t young for his class which isn’t true. The average freshman is over a year older than him.

Looking at the 247 top 30 from last year, only 5 of them were older than BHH by more than a year and 3 of those were foreign players who were at prep schools. 4 were younger than BHH, all the others were less than a year older.

30 random players with 25 being less than a year older to younger tells me he is closer to the average age for freshmen rather than being over a year younger, and he was in the proper class. BHH turned 5 just before kindergarten started for his class. 5 is the age of kindergartens so he was on schedule.

Looking at the 247 top 30 from last year, only 5 of them were older than BHH by more than a year and 3 of those were foreign players who were at prep schools. 4 were younger than BHH, all the others were less than a year older.

30 random players with 25 being less than a year older to younger tells me he is closer to the average age for freshmen rather than being over a year younger, and he was in the proper class. BHH turned 5 just before kindergarten started for his class. 5 is the age of kindergartens so he was on schedule.
Not sure what there is to argue. See VolGee’s post above. August kids are either the youngest in their class or the oldest. Nowadays most people hold their kids back. Maybe that’s one reason, but KenPom lists average ages by class on his website, which for freshmen is 19.5 in Jan 1 during the season. So BHH is over a year younger than that.

Last edited:
Not sure what there is to argue. See VolGee’s post above. August kids are either the youngest in their class or the oldest. Nowadays most people hold their kids back. Maybe that’s one reason, but KenPom lists average ages by class on his website, which for freshmen is 19.5 in Jan 1 during the season. So BHH is over a year younger than that.

I'd be surprised if KP is correct unless he is adding red shirt freshmen into the mix. It would be a very unusual statistical anomaly to look at the ages of 30 random players and see that many fall that far below the average. 5 of the top 30 were born before September 2002, with the aforementioned overseas prep school kids adding to that number.

As a matter of fact, to be 19.5 on January 1st, that would mean that most kids started kindergarten at 6 vs the standard age of 5.

But all in all it's picking nits and there's no indication that BHH was hampered by being younger than his classmates, which prompted the initial response regarding his age/class.

I'd be surprised if KP is correct unless he is adding red shirt freshmen into the mix. It would be a very unusual statistical anomaly to look at the ages of 30 random players and see that many fall that far below the average. 5 of the top 30 were born before September 2002, with the aforementioned overseas prep school kids adding to that number.

As a matter of fact, to be 19.5 on January 1st, that would mean that most kids started kindergarten at 6 vs the standard age of 5.

But all in all it's picking nits and there's no indication that BHH was hampered by being younger than his classmates, which prompted the initial response regarding his age/class.
Well take it up with KenPom but I can’t imagine why he’d publish something that isn’t accurate. And I can think of a lot of reasons the average age of a freshman basketball player would be on the high side. Regardless BHH is undoubtedly young for his class. And age is undoubtedly correlated to development.

The deadline to declare for the draft for underclassmen is April 24. However, the more important deadline is June 1, which is the deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft for players who tested the waters but choose to return to school.
Thank you. I’m not an NBA guy and with last year everything mucked up I had no clue as to the dates

Reactions: Volprofch05
Well take it up with KenPom but I can’t imagine why he’d publish something that isn’t accurate. And I can think of a lot of reasons the average age of a freshman basketball player would be on the high side. Regardless BHH is undoubtedly young for his class. And age is undoubtedly correlated to development.

I'd guess he's including redshirt freshmen or he's just incorrect. I looked up demographics of several random universities and average student body freshman age across multiple years was steadily from 18.4 to 18.6. That was also what I found looking at random members of the top 100 recruits on 247.

It would be extremely unlikely for CBB players to skew that far off the general student body age wise.

If he doesn't go in top 20, he needs to come back. Late first round or early 2nd Rd money is a pittance to top 10, will be curious to see what he is rated after the tourney is done.

Late first round still gets him a 4 year contract in the 8 mil area and gets him one year closer to that second contract, which is the goal of every player. He is projected by most draft boards to go anywhere from late teens to late 20's, and as valuable as lead guards who can shoot the 3 are right now, he would be a valuable commodity, especially at his age.

The next question is this - assuming he goes in the 1st round, where does he have a better chance of improving his game, in the NBA summer league followed by an 82 game season with pro coaches or 35 games in a college program?

Then there is the risk of a down season, or worst of all, an injury that kills his draft stock. I hate to say it, but it makes little to no sense for a kid like KC to come back for another year. He was always going to be a one and done from the moment he got here.

What you have to look at is if JJJ is better than Admiral Schofield. Slightly taller but no better as a defender or shooter. Might handle the ball a little better than Admiral. Admiral didn’t make it with Washington and is struggling to get past the end of the bench with Orlando and is bouncing back and forth to the G League. No way Santi makes it in the NBA. Too slow, can’t jump and would find it hard to guard anybody. He’ll make a good living playing ball overseas when he’s ready.

I get the comparison, but JJJ and AS are really different players. Admiral is kind of a tweener jack of all trades who doesn't offer that one valuable trait that would get him more floor time. I always thought it would be a tough go for him as a pro, whereas Grant Williams was always going to find a way to get on the court, as he has as a 3&D guy in Boston (unfortunately).

JJJ could really benefit from another year here as he was just beginning to really show results from his obvious ability this season. He has an NBA body and if he can tighten up his handle a bit and get more consistent from 3 he has a future as a combo guard in the NBA. In my opinion, anyway.

I’m sorry but y’all are completely forgetting how well ON was playing before his injury. Dude has come such a long way, and another offseason to recover from his ankle and get more work in will only make him better. I do believe BHH and Aidoo will be improved, but ON will be the better out of the 3 of them next season.
Ziegler
Vescovi
JJJ
BHH
ON
would be my starting 5. With Aidoo and Plavsic rotating in and out frequently if they both keep improving. Also, having Powell, Edwards, Mashack, Tamba, and whoever else we add would be great. Next years team will be better IMO. Not as much high level NBA talent, but a deep senior and junior laden team. You have some freshman and sophomores but we aren’t having to depend on them.
The team started playing better the moment he wasn't playing anymore

VN Store

Back