Predictions of Leach's failure at MSU for posterity...

Outside of Alex Grinch (during the aforementioned 2018 season), he hasn't really demonstrated an ability to do that either. I'm sure he's tried to hire DCs over the years that he could entrust the defense to, but his teams have always been lacking something there.

How much $ do you think he had to offer a top notch DC at TT or WSU? I was pushing for Leach and The Chief after Fulmer. Maybe State’ll open up the checkbook...

How much $ do you think he had to offer a top notch DC at TT or WSU? I was pushing for Leach and The Chief after Fulmer. Maybe State’ll open up the checkbook...
They gave him nearly $5 million for a salary pool. I’m sure he’ll be able to find some quality assistants for that price. His salary pool at WASU was under $3.5 million.

Reactions: BUBear
The pirate clown will do ok at MSU. He is at a school that doesn’t have super high expectations. His goofy press conferences and grandma looks will turn MSU into a circus.

As one who wanted Leach to lead the Vol Navy every time we had a coaching search, I look forward to seeing what Leach will do in Starkville (and think he'll do well - similar to Mullen - not predicting NC's - it is Starkville after all). I thought it would be interesting to have some of the more extreme predictions of failure in one place. Again, as a Leach fan, I think these are pretty low IQ posts (sorry, just my opinion).

Enjoy or flame away...

LEACH will NEVER lead Miss. State to anything better than 8-4....write that down!!! He may not even get there....7-5 may end up being his zenith...

He'll have to beat Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and aTm to ever get to 8-4....he'll NEVER beat all of them in the same season....

I've got 20 bucks on it

I don't think he'll make it past 3 years in Starkville.....and may not win 20 games over those 3 years.

Reactions: knox73
LEACH will NEVER lead Miss. State to anything better than 8-4....write that down!!! He may not even get there....7-5 may end up being his zenith...

He'll have to beat Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and aTm to ever get to 8-4....he'll NEVER beat all of them in the same season....

I've got 20 bucks on it

I don't think he'll make it past 3 years in Starkville.....and may not win 20 games over those 3 years.
He never won a BIG XII South Championship either but most seasons he played a hand in deciding who did. All he has to do is beat one of those teams each season. He was 7-3 against aggy while recruiting inferior talent. Imma say he lasts at least 5 seasons.

Meh, if Coach O can do it Leach can too. Needs to get some big time Sec coaches for recruiting and make a great DC hire, money is there.

It’ll be worth it for the few years of comedy. Ultimately he’ll never do enough to warrant stating being compared to Mullen.

WSU D stats from 2017 (stats I pulled during our search):

#8 (tie) in 1st Down D
#12 in Passing Yards Allowed
#26 Rushing D
#5 Team Passing Efficiency D
#10 in Sacks
#4 (tie) in TFL
#12 Total D
#4 in Takeaways

In a Tecmo Bowl conference...

Calling that a “putrid” D is low IQ. We’d have killed for those numbers in the last 10 years.
Why cherry pick one year? Did you see the UCLA game this year? Did you see any WSU games this year? Low IQ is to go by stats alone and never watch football.

I watch and follow Coug football 'cause I have a relative who goes there and family members in the area.

If you insist on pulling stats from that yr, they were ranked 59:

2017 Team Defense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

As for Tennessee football the last ten yrs, you don't have to remind any of us here that it sucked. That's hardly the bar. Even as bad as our Vols were in that yr, WSU gave up more passing yds/game than we did. Putrid

Reactions: 08Vol
One thing about Leach is that he's probably more politically conservative than the state of Mississippi LOL

I've got 20 bucks on it

Actually he doesnt have to beat them to get to 8 and 4 those can be the 4 losses. Toss in a win against one of them and that's 9 and 3

I don’t think his goofy BS will go over very well in Starkville
I wondered about that. I don't know anything about Mississippi, so I can't predict. The youtube comments under that first press conference were positively ecstatic. I will say Jerry Clower played for Mississippi State, so there's that.

Reactions: MikeVol44
Actually he doesnt have to beat them to get to 8 and 4 those can be the 4 losses. Toss in a win against one of them and that's 9 and 3

Yep - maybe he'll never win more than 8 in the regular season but as you say he'd only have to beat one (A&M?) to do it next year. Plus, Auburn will be in a rebuilding year - they might be an 8-4 team themselves

• Saturday Sept. 5: at home vs. New Mexico
  • Saturday Sept. 12: on the road against North Carolina State
  • Saturday Sept. 19: at home versus Arkansas
  • Saturday Sept. 26: at home versus Tulane
  • Saturday Oct. 3: at home versus Texas A&M
  • Saturday Oct. 10: OPEN WEEK
  • Saturday Oct. 17: on the road against Alabama
  • Saturday Oct. 24 on the road against LSU
  • Saturday Oct. 31: at home versus Auburn
  • Saturday Nov. 7: at home versus Missouri
  • Saturday Nov. 14: on the road against Kentucky
  • Saturday Nov. 21: at home versus Alabama A&M
  • Thursday Nov. 26: on the road against Ole Miss

I wondered about that. I don't know anything about Mississippi, so I can't predict. The youtube comments under that first press conference were positively ecstatic. I will say Jerry Clower played for Mississippi State, so there's that.

I think he will get along fine with the university (he stresses academics) and with the fans. The challenge if there is one is with big money boosters if there is a personality clash or they are used to dictating actions. Short of that, he'll endear himself to the town.

For reference Dan Mullen (the great Dan Mullen) was .600 at Miss St. with an average 7.67 wins/season.

Leach can match that but the haters will say that it proves he sucks while most of the world considers Mullens to be a very good coach.

Mullen's best seasons happened with LSU, Auburn, and aTm descending or mediocre.
They have KY as their yearly East opponent...which is a plus....but KY is a better, more physical team than during Mullen's run.

And Leach will be going head to head with Kiffin for the best talent not only in Mississippi, but across the board.

Kiffin has the major advantage in recruiting the SEC over Leach.
It's gonna be extremely hard for Leach to build quality depth to compete in the SEC week in and week out with Kiffin at Ole Sis.
And now the SEC West is the most competitive division in college FB.

Mullen had 1 great and 1 good QB in Prescott and Fitzgerald....
Mullen's offensive system incorporated a good running game to complement the passing game...and some good defenses.

Leach is only going to get LSU, aTm, Bama, and Ole Miss leftovers for QBs.

Leach's system hasn't had that balance across the board...
His teams--or at least 90% of his teams--have had to win track meets masquerading as FB games.

I've been wrong before.....but I just don't see Miss. State going better than 7-5 in his first 3 years....

Yep - maybe he'll never win more than 8 in the regular season but as you say he'd only have to beat one (A&M?) to do it next year. Plus, Auburn will be in a rebuilding year - they might be an 8-4 team themselves

• Saturday Sept. 5: at home vs. New Mexico
  • Saturday Sept. 12: on the road against North Carolina State
  • Saturday Sept. 19: at home versus Arkansas
  • Saturday Sept. 26: at home versus Tulane
  • Saturday Oct. 3: at home versus Texas A&M
  • Saturday Oct. 10: OPEN WEEK
  • Saturday Oct. 17: on the road against Alabama
  • Saturday Oct. 24 on the road against LSU
  • Saturday Oct. 31: at home versus Auburn
  • Saturday Nov. 7: at home versus Missouri
  • Saturday Nov. 14: on the road against Kentucky
  • Saturday Nov. 21: at home versus Alabama A&M
  • Thursday Nov. 26: on the road against Ole Miss

Next year may be Leach's best year.....he'll lose to Bama, Auburn, LSU, aTm, and Ole Miss....
The injuries will pile up on his defense in that Alabama to Mizzou stretch....

They're losing 11 from the 2-deep on offense
and 8 from the 2-deep on defense....mainly on the front 7...

7-5 at best....6-6 or 5-7 most likely

I've got 20 bucks on it...you're correct....but you get what I'm saying....
I do. Very narrow window. Hard to do at MSU.

To me it depends on the expectations of MSU. Are they willing to wait for him to get to that type of season. Right transfer qb, decent defense, maybe one of the big guys down?

I do. Very narrow window. Hard to do at MSU.

To me it depends on the expectations of MSU. Are they willing to wait for him to get to that type of season. Right transfer qb, decent defense, maybe one of the big guys down?

They're losing a LOT in their 2-deep....especially on the DL and some guys on the OL...
I think Hill will go on and enter the NFL draft if he is smart.

....If he does---they're done....

I like Leach. I would have been happy had he been hired in Knoxville.

That said, I dont think he'll do great in the West. Hope I'm wrong. Competing with LSU, Bama, Auburn, A&M and Ole Miss now led by Kiffin... I just dont have high hopes. But I like him better than Saban, Ed O, Kiffin, certainly Fisher and even Malzahn, so I hope he does great.

VN Store

Back