Predictions for SEC Conference as of late December

That's probably true, and one of the reasons that I think they will get dominated by MSST. It's all but given that McCowan will dominate the smaller, less skilled and less experienced Tennessee posts if they try to guard her 1-on-1. MSST only has 1 true perimeter scorer, so they should be able to clamp down on McCowan with multiple defenders and dare MSST to shoot. While the MSST starting backcourt doesn't shoot well from 3, they both have nasty mid-range jumpers and can attack the rim. If Tennessee doesn't tighten up their defense, MSST won't need to hit 3's if their guards can take it to the basket all game long.

I haven't seen UConn/ND play this year outside of their H2H matchup, but I've seen a couple of Oregon games and they sure do play pretty basketball. Their pick and roll game is a thing of beauty, and they have a strong, balanced starting 5 with scorers at each position.
I’ve watched several State games this year. To me, McCowan has underwhelmed thus far, and it follows the trend across the country of underperforming bigs (besides Gustafson at Iowa State and Turner and Notre Dame). McCowan gets a double double from offensive put backs alone. She doesn’t post up nearly enough: more than half of possessions she just stands there waiting for a shot. When she does post up, her back to the basket game can be underwhelming. I guess they’re trying to space out how much they use her, because I’m sure conditioning could be a problem for a player her size. Nevertheless, the high post connection with Howard has been under developed because the coach favors the weave so much. If Howard and McCowan develop a high post game, it would be nearly unstoppable.
Regardless, I agree that their front court will totally dominate ours. Greene can’t guard man to man, and no one on our team really matches up with Howard. We will be forced to play zone, because we can’t stop penetration, and so their offensive rebounds will take over the game. Our only hope is to beat them with the three point shot, but I doubt Holly will game plan for that. Their guards are really great defensively.

Yeah it seems this team hasn't been able to recover from the lost of Hayes and her production. It seems like we lose an important piece each season or off season. Oh well. Let's go Zaay. And Rennia and Green should have more double double against this schedule ijs.

Right now Kentucky and Auburn 3 guards are playing well. MSU, and USC lurking guards are starting to play better still streaky players.

Defense, Rebounding and Good guard play win Championships. 1st in the Sec

Westbrook battle McCowan for player of the Year.

Howard Freshman of the year. She playing like how I thought Rennia was gonna play this year, u get the feel watching them play this her team. A confident young lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: stllvf
Our defense hasn't been good against the better teams we've played. Stanford 95 points and Texas 82 points. In order to beat these type teams you either outscore them like we did Texas or you play better defense. Defense is definitely the way to go as your offense is going to fail you at least a third of the time. Were definitely in need of someone to protect the rim as were easy to beat off the dribble. If we extend to stop the three point shot who is going to protect the rim when we get beat on the drive. Right now the answer is no one and that is where we need to find a player admitting that we may not have anyone this season. If we had more players that could stay with their player one on one force a tougher shot were in position to be a very good team. What I see right now is when we try to protect against the three by extending were easily beat for uncontested layups to many times.

Away games for the LVs - the annual concern of not arriving with dominance and energy to perform away from home. The cliches have all been written after an unfortunate loss attributed to not putting in the effort to defeat the home team.

Auburn
Georgia
Alabama
Missouri
Texas &AM
Miss State plus Vandy and Ole Miss.

Missouri just brought Cierra Porter back. If she plays to her pre-injury form, that will raise Mizzou up a notch or two. Maybe enough to get them an NCAA bid, but not enough to have them challenge for SEC top three.

With Mississippi State such a favorite to win the SEC.... it always amazes me upon reflection..... McDonald's All Americans... we have 6 ... Mississippi State has 0 (zero) There is a gap in there somewhere

I think everyone knows EXACTLY where the "gap" is with the TN team.

The SEC begins and my game by game predictions are:

at Auburn loss
vs. Missouri win
vs. Kentucky tossup
at Georgia win
at Alabama should be a win but we should've had wins before
vs. Arkansas win
vs. Notre Dame loss
vs. LSU win
vs. Florida win
at Vanderbilt win
vs. Miss St loss
vs. Auburn win
at Missouri tossup
at Texas A&M tossup
vs. South Carolina win
vs. Vandy win
at Ole Miss win

10 wins 2 losses 4 tossups. If we split the tossups 12 and 4, If we win all four tossups 14 and 2. Loss to Notre Dame. Final record 23 and 5 which should be good enough to get a top 16 seed and play at home.

VN Store

Back