Prebyterian Postgame Report

cncchris33

1. This was an odd game in which we blow out the opponent (86-44) and only get 12 points from our regular frontcourt rotation of Fulk, Nkamhoua, BHH, and Plavsic. 12 points on 5-10 shooting, 14 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 71 combined minutes.

2. Point 1 can be partially explained by the fact that Presby certainly tried to clog the lane which is what opened up things on the perimeter, and they really never adjusted. Instead, they just continually dared us to beat them on the perimeter. We did beat them on some back-cuts and drives to the bucket by the guards (Vescovi and Chandler, specifically), but we never established a post presence.

3. Kennedy Chandler - 15 pts, 1 rebound, 7 assists, 7 steals, and 0 TOs. I feel increasingly comfortable saying that he is the best PG I've ever seen at Tennessee based on my own two eyes, but also in the fact that Barnes, notoriously difficult to please as a PG or a freshman...let alone both, has completely turned the team over to him. I think he is in that TJ Ford/DJ Augustine category. It seems like Barnes realizes he most likely only gets one year with him and it's better to let him make mistakes in November and December, play through them and learn from them, and then see improvement in January and February rather than try and play the long approach of benching him and working thru it over time. He didn't necessarily take that approach to Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer, though I'd probably call Chandler the most talented/ready to contribute at a high level, of the three. Can you imagine those three together? 😳

4. Justin Powell and Victor Bailey played 39 combined minutes. Let's assume they were all at the same position, so 39 of 40 minutes. They shot a combined 9-14 (9-13 from 3) and scored 29 points, had 3 rebounds (all Powell), 4 assists (Powell 3, Bailey 1), 1 block (Powell), and only 1 TO (Bailey).

Now, you aren't going to get that kind of efficiency every game, but if you got 75% of it on average, you have one locked down position that you don't have to worry about. That is the benefit of having elite shooters and that is exactly why you bring in a Justin Powell. The people who were skeptical of his small sample size are going to be eating their words, over time, I believe. I was a big proponent of signing him and was over the moon when he committed, because that is the kind of stat line (15/3/3) I imagined from him. He can just affect the game in so many ways due to his shooting, size, and passing. Yeah, neither guy is really effective on defense, but as long as your other 4 are more than adequate, you can live with having one liability with room for improvement.

5. We forced 25 TOs, though Presby forced a lot of those on themselves...I've never seen so many unforced traveling calls. Chandler was credited with 7 steals and Tennessee had 13 as a team. We were smothering them, defensively and they got nothing easy. Granted, they aren't even on the same planet in terms of talent, but it was good to see us do what you should do to an opponent like that, which is completely dominate them from start to finish.

6. It was nice to see Jonas Aidoo come off the bench in garbage time and be effective. He only played 5 minutes, but had 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, and 1 steal. His bucket was a monstrous throwdown dunk and he would have had another rebound and dunk had Brock Jancek not have drawn a goal-tending call on a missed shot. He played angry and wasn't overthinking, perhaps due to the opponent and outcome. If Uros played that way, he'd warrant more playing time. He's just too much finesse around the basket for a guy his size, which is probably just the "euro" way of playing.

1. This was an odd game in which we blow out the opponent (86-44) and only get 12 points from our regular frontcourt rotation of Fulk, Nkamhoua, BHH, and Plavsic. 12 points on 5-10 shooting, 14 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 71 combined minutes.

2. Point 1 can be partially explained by the fact that Presby certainly tried to clog the lane which is what opened up things on the perimeter, and they really never adjusted. Instead, they just continually dared us to beat them on the perimeter. We did beat them on some back-cuts and drives to the bucket by the guards (Vescovi and Chandler, specifically), but we never established a post presence.

3. Kennedy Chandler - 15 pts, 1 rebound, 7 assists, 7 steals, and 0 TOs. I feel increasingly comfortable saying that he is the best PG I've ever seen at Tennessee based on my own two eyes, but also in the fact that Barnes, notoriously difficult to please as a PG or a freshman...let alone both, has completely turned the team over to him. I think he is in that TJ Ford/DJ Augustine category. It seems like Barnes realizes he most likely only gets one year with him and it's better to let him make mistakes in November and December, play through them and learn from them, and then see improvement in January and February rather than try and play the long approach of benching him and working thru it over time. He didn't necessarily take that approach to Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer, though I'd probably call Chandler the most talented/ready to contribute at a high level, of the three. Can you imagine those three together? 😳

4. Justin Powell and Victor Bailey played 39 combined minutes. Let's assume they were all at the same position, so 39 of 40 minutes. They shot a combined 9-14 (9-13 from 3) and scored 29 points, had 3 rebounds (all Powell), 4 assists (Powell 3, Bailey 1), 1 block (Powell), and only 1 TO (Bailey).

Now, you aren't going to get that kind of efficiency every game, but if you got 75% of it on average, you have one locked down position that you don't have to worry about. That is the benefit of having elite shooters and that is exactly why you bring in a Justin Powell. The people who were skeptical of his small sample size are going to be eating their words, over time, I believe. I was a big proponent of signing him and was over the moon when he committed, because that is the kind of stat line (15/3/3) I imagined from him. He can just affect the game in so many ways due to his shooting, size, and passing. Yeah, neither guy is really effective on defense, but as long as your other 4 are more than adequate, you can live with having one liability with room for improvement.

5. We forced 25 TOs, though Presby forced a lot of those on themselves...I've never seen so many unforced traveling calls. Chandler was credited with 7 steals and Tennessee had 13 as a team. We were smothering them, defensively and they got nothing easy. Granted, they aren't even on the same planet in terms of talent, but it was good to see us do what you should do to an opponent like that, which is completely dominate them from start to finish.

6. It was nice to see Jonas Aidoo come off the bench in garbage time and be effective. He only played 5 minutes, but had 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, and 1 steal. His bucket was a monstrous throwdown dunk and he would have had another rebound and dunk had Brock Jancek not have drawn a goal-tending call on a missed shot. He played angry and wasn't overthinking, perhaps due to the opponent and outcome. If Uros played that way, he'd warrant more playing time. He's just too much finesse around the basket for a guy his size, which is probably just the "euro" way of playing.
Definitely worried about the post play as we progress towards tougher opponents. Also, thank goodness Fulky didn't tear his knee or break his ankle on that one play.

Good stuff, Chris. The only thing I would add is that Powell is improving defensively. He played very well defensively last night. He also moves well without the ball, and has innate basketball instincts, things that can’t necessarily be taught. The guy hustles every minute he’s in the game. Oddly enough, in pregame warmups he was not hitting the 3-ball particularly well.

Tougher defensive opponents won't be giving us those wide open looks that Presbyterian gave us yesterday. I imagine CRB would like the ball to be fed to JF inside first then kicked out for open 3s. I am obviously not the coach but BHH needs more minutes. He looks like our best post option behind Fulk. Nice write up @cncchris33. GBO!

Reactions: cncchris33
Last night was the first game this year I have watched. It took all of about a minute for me to think to myself, "That's the best point guard we have had in a long, long time."

It also seemed to me that we have what looks like a more complete team than what we have had in a long while. Admittedly they were playing Presbyterian; but it should be fun to see what this team can do this year, especially in March.

Ziegler and Powell are both great shooters. Getting those guys in the mix makes us better already. Santi definitely playing better than last year. We need to figure out how to run some offense when we are getting pushed around.
We will see alot more teams play defense like Villanova in the tournament. We figure that out and these guys have a high ceiling.

Mashack looked like a freshman. Quentin looks like he was ahead of Jahmai, but Barnes gave JM the opportunity first. I hope that both of them AND Aidoo get a lot of work this month and this season. Comparing QD to Pons, much more skilled but less physically gifted.

I’m not too concerned about having a down year in recruiting. Especially if BHH is not one-and-done. This freshman class is outstanding and Chandler’s replacement is the 2022 signing class. Plus there could be a post discovery or two emerge from the portal.

Uros is an elite passer. But his 6 inch vertical is a problem along with his slow lateral. He needs to become a bruiser to make up for his limited motion.

If Bailey could be more consistent, having him on one side and Powell on the other would give opponents a lot of trouble. But somebody needs to step up as a reliable inside scorer to complete an outside-in attack.

ZZ was a liability early but eventually became a problem for the Hos. But when he first hit the floor it was to relieve KC instead of letting him slide over to a wing.

Presbyterian is a really bad team. At Colorado will be far more revealing where we stand. Texas Tech at MSG is great preparation for the NCAAT.

I hope that Vescovi can keep getting to the rim like he was last night. Many of those with a great assist by a teammate.

If Bailey could drive and draw fouls he would be far more effective. Getting to the free throw line one time (2 FTs) in over a hundred minutes is a missed opportunity. VJ (2-2) and KC (10-10) are perfect from the FT line this year. ON and ZZ are each 5-6. SV is only 11 for 14. The team would be over 81% had Jahmai not bricked 3x last night.

Good stuff, Chris. The only thing I would add is that Powell is improving defensively. He played very well defensively last night. He also moves well without the ball, and has innate basketball instincts, things that can’t necessarily be taught. The guy hustles every minute he’s in the game. Oddly enough, in pregame warmups he was not hitting the 3-ball particularly well.
I agree. He did defend pretty well, last night, but how much of that is improvement and how much is the quality of opponent? His instincts are very good, as you said, and he knows how to get open away from the ball. As his reputation as a shooter develops and becomes well-known, he's going to have to work even harder to get open. His height also helps in shooting over opponents.

If I'm choosing between Powell and Bailey, I probably look at who does more to affect the game. Bailey is a shooter, and nothing else. If he isn't hitting, he's doing nothing for you. Fortunately, he found his stroke, last night. If Powell isn't hitting, he is still rebounding. He's still driving the lane. He's still distributing. He can simply do more than VBjr if his shot isn't falling.

Tougher defensive opponents won't be giving us those wide open looks that Presbyterian gave us yesterday. I imagine CRB would like the ball to be fed to JF inside first then kicked out for open 3s. I am obviously not the coach but BHH needs more minutes. He looks like our best post option behind Fulk. Nice write up @cncchris33. GBO!
Agree on BHH. It looks easy for him against these lesser opponents, going back to the exhibition game. He had almost no impact against Nova, but was pretty good against UNC. He's averaging 15 mpg, and 6 pts and 4.2 rebs. What could he do with 10 more minutes? 10 and 7?

Re: the open looks, I think Presbyterian was determined not to allow us to get the ball inside. I don't think it was an issue of them not being able to close out on those deep shots. I think they just chose to take their chances.

Re: the open looks, I think Presbyterian was determined not to allow us to get the ball inside. I don't think it was an issue of them not being able to close out on those deep shots. I think they just chose to take their chances.

Which surprises me, if I’m going against Tennessee I hound our guards, be physical with them, and stay on shooters…I take my chances with Fulk/ON/BHH BEATING me down low.

Which surprises me, if I’m going against Tennessee I hound our guards, be physical with them, and stay on shooters…I take my chances with Fulk/ON/BHH BEATING me down low.
Might be something a deeper team would try, but Presbyterian has a 7 man rotation.

No much to say on Santiago?

He is our most consistent player thus far in this season.
Well, I mean, he did about what was expected. Didn't shoot the ball well from outside, but supplemented that with cuts to the basket (which I did mention, and Vescovi, specifically). He protected the ball and had several assists where he found open shooters. He played well, but nothing that really stood out worthy of clogging up an already 500+ word write-up.

Might be something a deeper team would try, but Presbyterian has a 7 man rotation.
And they also are very undersized, primarily playing a 4-guard lineup. Two tallest players are 6-9 and 6-8 and combined for 22 minutes.

Well, I mean, he did about what was expected. Didn't shoot the ball well from outside, but supplemented that with cuts to the basket (which I did mention, and Vescovi, specifically). He protected the ball and had several assists where he found open shooters. He played well, but nothing that really stood out worthy of clogging up an already 500+ word write-up.
That's essentially what I'm saying. He's playing well, consistently. We've come to expect it now so it isn't surprising (like Bailey was) when he has a decent to solid stat line.

Last year he was much more erratic in his play. He may still have some bad nights, but it's nice knowing he is steady right now.

Reactions: cncchris33
We didn’t exactly punish Nova inside with their 4 guard lineup
Well, we also shot 33% (18% from 3) and turned the ball over 18 times against Nova. Not to mention the talent differential between Nova and Presby. I mean, our 4 post players combined for 6 points on 3-5 shooting and 14 rebounds in that game.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Seemed like Presby used a similar strategy, but we shot 56% (52% from 3) and turned the ball over 8 times.

Well, we also shot 33% (18% from 3) and turned the ball over 18 times against Nova. Not to mention the talent differential between Nova and Presby. I mean, our 4 post players combined for 6 points on 3-5 shooting and 14 rebounds in that game.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Seemed like Presby used a similar strategy, but we shot 56% (52% from 3) and turned the ball over 8 times.
I thought Nova was pushing us much farther out by design, on drives they didn’t help near as much as Presbyterian did which left us wide open last night where as against Nova we we more closely guarded. Nova seemed ok giving up drives if it happened or dump offs down low where as Presbyterian seemed to collapse down on help and leave open shooters.

If Uros put as much effort on the court as he does running to congratulate guys during timeouts he would be an all american. I really wish this team had a Ron Slay or Tyler Smith type post player. We dont have that one guy against big time competition that we can count on game in and game out. This season is going to come down to the play of our guards. Live or die by the three.

I agree. He did defend pretty well, last night, but how much of that is improvement and how much is the quality of opponent? His instincts are very good, as you said, and he knows how to get open away from the ball. As his reputation as a shooter develops and becomes well-known, he's going to have to work even harder to get open. His height also helps in shooting over opponents.

If I'm choosing between Powell and Bailey, I probably look at who does more to affect the game. Bailey is a shooter, and nothing else. If he isn't hitting, he's doing nothing for you. Fortunately, he found his stroke, last night. If Powell isn't hitting, he is still rebounding. He's still driving the lane. He's still distributing. He can simply do more than VBjr if his shot isn't falling.
What’s frustrating is Bailey can do that stuff. He’s plenty athletic to get in the lane and creat for himself or others. We’ve seen him do it. But he seems to be fixed on floating around the 3 point line, more so than last year. His game has devolved in that way. Similarly, fulkys game has devolved to being only a low post banger, which he can’t do well cause he’s so physically weak. I have no clue where his game went. You used to be able to get him the ball at the high post and he could take his guy or knock down a 15 footer. Now he puts his head down and tries to back the defender down the lane. I feel he has lost his confidence in his game with all his injuries and Covid last year. Will it come back? Idk.

What’s frustrating is Bailey can do that stuff. He’s plenty athletic to get in the lane and creat for himself or others. We’ve seen him do it. But he seems to be fixed on floating around the 3 point line, more so than last year. His game has devolved in that way. Similarly, fulkys game has devolved to being only a low post banger, which he can’t do well cause he’s so physically weak. I have no clue where his game went. You used to be able to get him the ball at the high post and he could take his guy or knock down a 15 footer. Now he puts his head down and tries to back the defender down the lane. I feel he has lost his confidence in his game with all his injuries and Covid last year. Will it come back? Idk.
I’m not sure I’ve really seen him create for anybody, at least against a team with a pulse. I stand by the idea that Powell and the freshman guards need minutes over Bailey, hitting some shots against Pres doesn’t change that for me

I’m still not completely out on Uros like everybody else is. If Fulk and BHH are both gone next year, I think we’ll need him to be a contributor, even if Aidoo likely starts over him. Not like there’s nothing to build on, he got the best hands of any of our bigs and is an excellent if maybe over-willing passer for a center. Not a natural scorer in the slightest but doesn’t need to be. Just needs to learn to bow up on defense

Our bigs will be tested in the next 2 games. Both have legit big men that score consistently.
If nothing else, I hope it ends the insistence on the 10-15 mins of Uros. We need BHH and/or Aidoo badly.

VN Store

Back