Pray for missing Titanic Submersible

Any other bubbleheads here want to explain “noise in the water”; biologics; and how hearing it and figuring out where it came from is best left to passive sonars with both bearing and D/E capability?

Despite it likely being a small “bang”, there’s a chance SOSUS picked it up, and a look-back at the tapes once the submersible was declared missing told the ROV where to look. Although in this case, the datum was obvious, making the initial search point easy to determine.

Russians

*Roosians

51J0ZZZJYVL.jpg

How many prayers does it take to find a little submarine in the ocean depths? One? Two? A million? I need a frame of reference.
I don't know what's worse, the people celebrating because rich people died, or this. Most people say they're praying as a way of condolence, why mock that? I mean I get if you're not a believer, but you guys go out of your way sometimes to mock those who do. If God and praying doesn't mean anything to you, why the need to mock it? I'm genuinely asking.

Considering the corners this dude cut and the experts he ignored, I'd say sometimes that red tape is actually a good thing.
Do ships have to file a "flight plan?" The rub is that I'm sure the Polar Prince was seaworthy even if the Titan was not, and it wasn't launched until international waters were reached,
so I'm not seeing how you could forbid the Polar Prince from sailing. I'm not a lawyer though.

Do ships have to file a "flight plan?" The rub is that I'm sure the Polar Prince was seaworthy even if the Titan was not, and it wasn't launched until international waters were reached,
so I'm not seeing how you could forbid the Polar Prince from sailing. I'm not a lawyer though.

Maybe they already knew (SOSUS?) that it was gone, and thus no reason for it to sail.

Just guessing, but…

From what I understood at end of day yesterday, I don't think that's what happened. They heard it, they heard again it 30 minutes later, then they heard it 4 hours later. CNN and Rolling Stone ran with 30 minutes after the first occurances but I don't think it ever repeated at that interval again.

In the coast guard presser yesterday they said they didn't know anything about 30 minute intervals. You'd think the x navy guy in the sub would have them tapping SOS too. There is a ton of metal in the water their thanks to it being a wreck site. So it's not suprising to hear those kind of sounds their. My guess now is the Titan imploded days ago.
I don't know what's worse, the people celebrating because rich people died, or this. Most people say they're praying as a way of condolence, why mock that? I mean I get if you're not a believer, but you guys go out of your way sometimes to mock those who do. If God and praying doesn't mean anything to you, why the need to mock it? I'm genuinely asking.
exactly how prayer works has been a mystery and a subject of debate for believers for millennia now and God has not provided us with the details. All we know is that we are told to pray without ceasing.
I believe it has a lot more to do with changing me than convincing God. It helps me have a mind closer to what God wills and puts my thoughts closer to his. That said, I will now put all of my prayers into praying for the families of the victims.

He also didn’t want 50 year old white guy engineers because they aren’t „inspirational“ enough.
SpaceX gets the best of both worlds, a lot of young engineers but overseen by experienced 50+ year olds
Don't know about you guys, but with crap coming out of the universities now, I want an engineer who knows their way around a slide rule. We know those folks were educated in engineering.

Last edited:
So they were essentially crushed?
Sorry just trying to get a better understanding.
That under sells it a bit, but basically yes. The water pressure was so much it would be like an explosion, except inward instead of outward.

That under sells it a bit, but basically yes. The water pressure was so much it would be like an explosion, except inward instead of outward.

Thank you. I actually caught up in the thread and saw a Twitter explanation. Very sad for those involved but there are some questions that demand answers.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
exactly how prayer works has been a mystery and a subject of debate for believers for millennia now and God has not provided us with the details. All we know is that we are told to pray without ceasing.
I believe it has a lot more to do with changing me than convincing God. It helps me have a mind closer to what God wills and puts my thoughts closer to his. That said, I will now put all of my prayers into praying for the families of the victims.
I agree. I just don't understand mocking someone who wants to pray and hold onto hope in a bad situation, regardless if you believe or not. I've got a coworker who is a way different religion than me, and he's told me several times he was praying for my wife. I know he's praying to something I don't personally believe, but I don't mock him. I simply say thanks, because I understand it's his way of doing what he knows to do to show me support for my wife. I just don't get mocking someone for it.

There was an expert on TalkTV today--a British channel--and he said that someone in the submersible community was told--he thinks
by an OceanGate employee on the support ship, that when Titan was at 3,200 meters below the surface and still in communication with the support
ship, that the sub reported that a problem had developed and the crew was aborting the mission. He thinks the problem was a leak, and that seems likely, and then the leak quickly morphed into a total and fatal implosion. The expert was asked why this bit hadn't been reported by OceanGate or anyone else in the last 3 days, during the rescue operation, and he couldn't answer that question. It's very likely that OceanGate employees had a sense that the sub may have imploded but weren't keen to publicize that possibility. That is reinforced by the fact that the U.S. Navy is now reporting that its undersea sensors picked up the sound of what could have been an implosion at the time that communication with the sub. The support ship surely would have heard the noise of the implosion.

Chat GPT told me today that pressure at that depth is approximately the weight of a car on every square inch. I think (and hope) that it was sudden and painless. Very tragic.

Leaks at that pressure will cut material very quickly. At that depth you could conceivably have enough time to send a message if the leak started very very tiny, but I am surprised. Might be a made up story.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Leaks at that pressure will cut material very quickly. At that depth you could conceivably have enough time to send a message if the leak started very very tiny, but I am surprised. Might be a made up story.
James Cameron was on CNN last night talking about this. From what I gathered, it seems like it was unlikely there was any sort of actual leak, but they may have gotten some early warning signs that the carbon fiber was starting to fail. Apparently the vessel was fitted with experimental auditory sensors that could actually pick up the sound of stress in the carbon fiber, and he even said it’s possible they could have heard the material starting to stress themselves. It all sounded completely unproven and very sketchy. All designed to cut costs required to make the whole thing out of actual metal. Certainly not the sort of thing that should have been carrying paying customers.

Just for comparisons sake for anybody trying to picture the actual force with which this thing imploded.

So which happens faster, expansion of the gasses in the blood or the implosion?
There is no expansion of gasses in the blood in this case. That only occurs when air is breathed and dissolved into the blood under pressure and then the pressure is relieved on the body faster than can be outgassed safely from the blood. That is what is commonly known as the bends. In this case, the pressure increased instantly on the bodies. The lungs/sinuses etc would have been instantly crushed. Again, faster than nerve impulses. Dead before they knew it.

I doubt much is left of a body that is suddenly subjected to the massive water pressure at 2 miles below the surface--except, perhaps, bones.

Other than air cavities being crushed in the bodies, as our bodies are made up mostly of water so just the event suddenly being subjected to instant pressure of that magnitude would not do anything extreme per se as compared to getting hit by an artillery shell. However, there could/would be damage as the parts of the sub were driven into the bodies instantaneously. And if that was was what you meant, fully agree.

VN Store

Back