Pray for me guys

My son is attending a major basketball camp in my state this week. He was told that he would be ranked when the week is over. Y'all he is the class of 2029? He's going to the sixth grade. This is too much. :rolleyes:.
National rankings dont start until soph in HS

200.gif

I’m pretty sure Litkenhous starts ranking them at puberty.
Didnt happen with my nephew til he was a soph, and he pretty much had the same scenario in 6th grade as the OP -- 8th grade had an offer from Izzo and a couple others ... then a back injury senior year of HS ruined alot of his future plans

As someone whose only son is a loveable nerd and all thumbs on a field, I do not feel sorry for you.

I hope the only people we NEED to pray for are his opponents. I hope he comes to UT and wins a Natty under CRB. I hope he plays two sports and starts at Qb under CJH and become the first kid in college to win a Natty in two sports. I hope everyone recognizes you because you're constantly on TV, known as the dad that never left his side because you were afraid you would miss something, even to go the bathroom.

I hope he balls out and you have to drive all over the country and spend every dime you have watching him compete and dominate, only to turn around and be completely taken care of financially, due to all your previous sacrifices, when you're old a frail.

Last edited:
As someone whose only son is a loveable nerd and all thumbs on a field, I do not feel sorry for you.

I hope the only people we NEED to pray for are his opponents. I hope he comes to UT and wins a Natty under CRB. I hope he plays two sports and starts at Qb under CJH and become the first kid in college to win a Natty in two sports. I hope everyone recognizes you because you're constantly on TV, known as the dad that never left his side because you were afraid you would miss something, even to go the bathroom.

I hope he balls out and you have to drive all over the country and spend every dime you have watching him compete and dominate, only to turn around and be completely taken care of financially, due to all your previous sacrifices, when you're old a frail.
Thanks @VOLfrombama. He's also a right-handed third baseman. Baseball is his sport for fun and to spend time with his friends.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Congratulations on setting your radar high enough to avoid the ground clutter. It's a safe rule of thumb to protect your family against anything that tries to quantify them.

You want 100% of your son's motivation to improve to be coming from within. Rankings are a distraction at best. At worst, they can derail his natural personality growth and sense of self. Everybody knows the main task of adolescence is to answer the question "Who am I?" You want your son to have the normal, natural struggles to answer that question. You don't want him tempted to take the short cut that so many have: "I know who I am--I'm the 3rd ranked PF in my region!"

If his rankings become part of his motivation, he's getting into a bad place where he can begin losing the fun of the game, and burnout becomes a looming possibility down the road. It's like the junior tennis syndrome, which changes parents as well as the players.

Two maxims that might help him retain a healthy focus in the midst of this swirl of attention, that sounds like will only grow larger and louder:

Only compete with who's on the court with you, and on the other team.
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.*
*Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos

Last edited:
We already have a silent verbal from this guy for the 2029 football class.

Hint: Mars in Chattanooga area is sponsoring his NIL with M&M's.

Sic them!
MM.jpg

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back