Practice #4 - Updates

Sure. And that seems like the route Butch has chosen. I tend not to agree, but that's the fun of discussion and speculation.

Personally, I don't think Worley needs much motivation, being a senior with all he's been through. He's waited his turn and I think, for this team to be successful, we need Worley out there as a senior leader.

And I think Dobbs will be better after another year in the system. He wasn't ready last year, and my bet is he still isn't. He still has plenty of time left here.
Agreed

You could, Or you could let every guy show Worley that he is replaceable. There's more to it than a little competition. Butch breaks everything down to mental & motivational steps.

Or you could show your QB that you have confidence in him where if he makes a mistake he's not looking over his shoulder. It all depends on the player's personality and the coaches to judge that...

Reactions: 2 people
Sure. And that seems like the route Butch has chosen. I tend not to agree, but that's the fun of discussion and speculation.

Personally, I don't think Worley needs much motivation, being a senior with all he's been through. He's waited his turn and I think, for this team to be successful, we need Worley out there as a senior leader.

And I think Dobbs will be better after another year in the system. He wasn't ready last year, and my bet is he still isn't. He still has plenty of time left here.

Worley needs to be the man this year! If he is UT could make it to a bowl game for the first time in years.

JONES: Everything is based on merit, our players are going to earn the right with the way they practice.

JONES: We have to stop using youth as an excuse. Our players are competing, we're just not there yet.

JONES: We can't waste a single opportunity.

I completely understand the reasoning behind his actions, but it's borderline scary how respectful CBJ is of our football program and how he imposes that on the team

Could it be possible the team already knows who the starter is? Kinda like how CBJ loves orchestrating commitments, this announcement is really to throw opponents off late so they have less time to prepare but players have already been getting first team reps behind closed doors..

Doubt it

When you have a new coach, new scheme, a highly recruited freshman or transfer, then you are most likely going to see these QB competitions.
We shouldn't have that...
My only reasoning why we have competition is because CBJ likes to have split QBs for different situations.
Maybe someone should go back and see how often they named their QB starters.

If the coaches truly don't know who the starter will be, then an open competition is fine, but if they know that its Worley, they need to name him and give him most of the 1st team snaps. Ainge spoke at length one day about this and how playing mental games with your QB hinders him from being in mid season form by game 1.

You don't think it's possible that not naming your senior quuarterback the starter by now could be hurting the team? I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I can certainly see how it could. Especially after reports that Worley was upset about not being chosen for Media Day.

you have my attention!! but if your kissing the mods ass ill hold a grudge ...just saying... happy for all the info you bring but not gonna kiss a mods ass for a jerk post

Last edited:
If y'all haven't noticed jones enjoys competition so if you name a starter then competition isn't there as much anymore. Competition makes you better so give all a look. It's not catastrophic that Butch hasn't named a QB. Calm down and Go vols

I think competition is a good thing as well but I am worried that CBJ might do what he did last year with the QBs. Whomever has the best practice plays. I think that's a bad way to play. A QB needs to be named and be given all the snaps with the first team to build consistency, trust and continuity. Whichever QB wins the starting job (I think it will be Worley) should play the whole season, batting injury of course. I am hoping CBJ names a starter soon.

If y'all haven't noticed jones enjoys competition so if you name a starter then competition isn't there as much anymore. Competition makes you better so give all a look. It's not catastrophic that Butch hasn't named a QB. Calm down and Go vols

Correct.It's not rocket surgery. Why are so many puzzled by CBJ's methods?:loco:

VFE

Grand smokes the wacky weed and has tea parties with the men who lives in his eye brow.

Just saying.

Actually, I can't wait for the alcohol fueled rage game threads where I can flat guarantee the comment(s) will come up of "We should never have let Ferg go!"

I cannot fathom the wrath of some posters on here if butch doesn't make a bowl game..

That post though, is a understatement. They will be upset that we let Charlie High Transfer.

My wrath will be on display if we don't win 6 games, reasonable or not.

I'll be depressed for a week or two, but I know we are coming back in a big way. I have faith in butch. He's bringing in the talent he needs to win and some of these playmakers are the best at there positions. I'm going with 7 wins this season but, 6 is the key number this year but, '15 is our year with 10 wins and a trip to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.

So far they say qb's are completing about 40% of their passes. The WR's are helping them out a ton, but they look terrible.

Then Ainge and Swann both said Worley looks the best, but he's not even getting 1st team reps.

Camp season is so confusing

Worley not getting 1st team reps? Yes he is. That's all he got until yesterday, practice #4, until Butch decided to rotate the QBs and give Peterman "a shot" at running with the 1s while relegating Worley and Dobbs the "second team" QBs for a day.

I'll be depressed for a week or two, but I know we are coming back in a big way. I have faith in butch. He's bringing in the talent he needs to win and some of these playmakers are the best at there positions. I'm going with 7 wins this season but, 6 is the key number this year but, '15 is our year with 10 wins and a trip to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.

You'll be depressed for longer than 2 weeks as we start losing '15 commits one by one. 5-7 will make that a reality.

I don't think 6 wins and a 2 hour drive west on 40 to our bowl game is asking too much.

Like you, I also see 7 wins and a possible trip to the Peach or Outback Bowl.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm confident that there is a calculated method behind what Butch is saying to the media. I don't think practices have been nearly as bad as some want to believe; I personally believe Butch wants perfection and the best way to go about that is to get on the players early to eliminate the little mistakes and the less than 100% effort on the practice field. With such a young team he realizes it is important to establish his demands now.

The problem is, while I think his players are mentally tough enough to handle it, and grow from it, I'm worried that VN is NOT strong enough to handle his comments and will continue to melt down between now and the USU game.

I'm confident that there is a calculated method behind what Butch is saying to the media. I don't think practices have been nearly as bad as some want to believe; I personally believe Butch wants perfection and the best way to go about that is to get on the players early to eliminate the little mistakes and the less than 100% effort on the practice field. With such a young team he realizes it is important to establish his demands now.

The problem is, while I think his players are mentally tough enough to handle it, and grow from it, I'm worried that VN is NOT strong enough to handle his comments and will continue to melt down between now and the USU game.

man+crying.jpg

I'm not that sensitive. I can handle it.

Which is why I said I don't trust Swain, because he's a homer.

However, I don't think today's reps are necessarily indicative of where these players actually are on the depth chart. Coaches could be trying to light a fire in Worley.

I thought everyone knew this was obvious, but I reckon not. No starter had been named, so basically the coaches are allowing others a chance to show they can surpass JW. It's exactly what I expected he would do. Don't understand why people are reading so much daily performance into who takes 1st or 2nd team reps. Relax. We have a ways to go. Not even in full gear yet.

VN Store

Back