Practice #4 Updates 8.7

Overwhelming majority were not. He had a lot of 20+ yard completions in limited time last year. Actually averaged more yards per completion than Worley.

No, the 'Overwhelming majority' of his passes were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. A screen pass that goes for 25 doesn't indicate accuracy of 25 yard passes.

That's not to say he can't throw it down field, that just wasn't how the offense was run. Worley was the same way. It had to be thanks to the porous OLine play. Even with Dobbs at QB, we couldn't pass the ball down the field on anyone but South Carolina.

That being said, I'm not really trying to be a debbie downer. I'm also not arguing that Dobbs isn't accurate. Just that those stats are a little misleading thanks to the type of offense we ran last year.

From what I've seen from the spring/fall so far, he seems to have much better timing and sails the ball far less often. Good things to come I think.

Last edited:
Full pads tomorrow. Hope the guys get pumped and ready especially after a disappointing practice according to Butch. Good to see guys growing like Josh Malone, Evan Berry, Richmond, Jennings, McKenzie and others. McKenzie doesn't impress me, per se, because we all knew he had this in him. He is just living up to his prior performances right now. Don't get me wrong this kid is a monster but he is more of a expected one at that.

People please let's not get all worked up about today jeez leave that up to the coaches to take care of. We have a more talented team and they are working hard. Everyone just relax.lol

Reactions: 1 person
To be fair, a lot of those passes were behind the line of scrimmage.

To be perfectly fair, a lot of them weren't. Nobody is saying he's the next Peyton but Dobbs has a very good mix of running and passing skills. He is a better passer than most "dual threat" QB's and a better runner than most too. He's also damn sure smarter than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Maybe it wasn't as "obvious"away from a television and before as opposed to AFTER the fact? :dunno:

If you get paid $3 mil it ought to be obvious. Lets see. German kid. True freshman. Very little experience playing football. Alternative is an experienced MLB who knows the calls and has been in the program a couple of years. Anymore water you'd like to carry?

Last edited:
Full pads tomorrow. Hope the guys get pumped and ready especially after a disappointing practice according to Butch. Good to see guys growing like Josh Malone, Evan Berry, Richmond, Jennings, McKenzie and others. McKenzie doesn't impress me, per se, because we all knew he had this in him. He is just living up to his prior performances right now. Don't get me wrong this kid is a monster but he is more of a expected one at that.

McKenzie doesn't impress you? Blue font?

If you get paid $3 mil it ought to be obvious. Lets see. German kid. True freshman. Very little experience playing football. Alternative is an experienced MLB who knows the calls and has been in the program a couple of years. Anymore water you'd like to carry?

"German kid“. Next thing you know, they will let Canadians play.

Reactions: 7 people

Sort of blue font. I've seen this out of him the past year. Idk if it's even possible to impress me anymore with him. I just come to expect him putting everyone on their *** anymore. Dude will start game 1

Sort of blue font. I've seen this out of him the past year. Idk if it's even possible to impress me anymore with him. I just come to expect him putting everyone on their *** anymore. Dude will start game 1

I think this would have been better worded using some variation of how you're not "surprised" instead of how you're not "impressed."

No, the 'Overwhelming majority' of his passes were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. A screen pass that goes for 25 doesn't indicate accuracy of 25 yard passes.

That's not to say he can't throw it down field, that just wasn't how the offense was run. Worley was the same way. It had to be thanks to the porous OLine play. Even with Dobbs at QB, we couldn't pass the ball down the field on anyone but South Carolina.

That being said, I'm not really trying to be a debbie downer. I'm also not arguing that Dobbs isn't accurate. Just that those stats are a little misleading thanks to the type of offense we ran last year.

From what I've seen from the spring/fall so far, he seems to have much better timing and sails the ball far less often. Good things to come I think.

I swear, I've done this like 3 times already for guys like you who have the same complaint about Dobbs.....that he didn't throw the ball downfield last year, that all his throws that resulted in 20 or more yards were little 5 yard screens or flip passes that the receiver ran 15 + yards for .... and it's just not true. Guess I'll have to dial it up again....just wait for it.

I guess that guy they pay 3 Mil to didn't see eye to eye with you...all that after he ran practices with both? YOU say Bynum "knew all the calls" and you know this even tho they don't pay YOU 3 Mil? Tangled web we weave. Bynum had ONE year in the system and was in the middle of his second. Maybe the coaches weren't impressed with the depth of his knowledge and MAYBE there's a reason for it. WITH two full years now in the system, why are we hearing everybody but Bynum's name in the MLB mix? Maybe because Jancek values instincts and athleticism OVER time served? Could be. In any case coaches do learn from past coaching experiences...even the best like Saban at Michigan State had to see firsthand what didn't finish what the mind conceives. ALL coaches need that. Why belabor a move as a "failure" unless Jancek continues in that vein...not "rocket science"...just the real world of coaching. :)

Reactions: 2 people

The only game I attended last yr. was UK, and I sure remember him throwing some nice balls down field in that one.

I think this would have been better worded using some variation of how you're not "surprised" instead of how you're not "impressed."

I guess that's what I'm getting at. I don't think it's possible to impress/ surprise me anymore than he has. But I'll probably be wrong.

Hell, I don't care what kind of pass it is. If it gets me 25 yards a pop and moves the ball down the field, I'm all for it. I'm sure you would agree with this. That being said, I have seen nothing but constant improvement with Dobbs. If he continues on that curve, like you said, good things to come.

Here are "passes downfield" last year from Dobbs. I'll exclude the "catch and runs" like Hurd's screen pass and run for a touchdown vs SCar and Croom's 52yd WR screen for a td vs Kentucky....

Vs Alabama-
25 yds to Ellis
28 yds to Pig
20 yds to North
22 yds to North
15 yds to Pig

Vs SCar
42 yds to Von
22 yds to Pig
24 yds to Ellis
22 yds to Pig
26 yds to Pig
31 yds to Pig
18 yds to Pig

Vs Kentucky
28 yds to Lane (seam route, completed to Lane 18-20 yds downfield, ran an addl 8-10 yds)
21 yds to Pearson
19 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von
25 yds to Wolf
32 yds to Croom

Vs Mizzou
24 yds to Pig
20 yds to Pig
23 yds to Von

Vs Vandy
33 yds to Pig

Vs Iowa
19 yds to Pearson
18 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von

Not exactly Dan Marino, but that's 25 passes of 15 yards or more.... 18 of 20 yards or more.... 25 completions averaging 23.5 yards per completion in less than 5 full games. Again, didn't include bubble screens, rb/middle screens, catches within 5 yards of the los and runs....these were throws down the field.

Reactions: 12 people
Here are "passes downfield" last year from Dobbs. I'll exclude the "catch and runs" like Hurd's screen pass and run for a touchdown vs SCar and Croom's 52yd WR screen for a td vs Kentucky....

Vs Alabama-
25 yds to Ellis
28 yds to Pig
20 yds to North
22 yds to North
15 yds to Pig

Vs SCar
42 yds to Von
22 yds to Pig
24 yds to Ellis
22 yds to Pig
26 yds to Pig
31 yds to Pig
18 yds to Pig

Vs Kentucky
28 yds to Lane (seam route, completed to Lane 18-20 yds downfield, ran an addl 8-10 yds)
21 yds to Pearson
19 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von
25 yds to Wolf
32 yds to Croom

Vs Mizzou
24 yds to Pig
20 yds to Pig
23 yds to Von

Vs Vandy
33 yds to Pig

Vs Iowa
19 yds to Pearson
18 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von

Not exactly Dan Marino, but that's 25 passes of 15 yards or more.... 18 of 20 yards or more.... 25 completions averaging 23.5 yards per completion in less than 5 full games. Again, didn't include bubble screens, rb/middle screens, catches within 5 yards of the los and runs....these were throws down the field.

Not bad, considering he was running for his life as soon as he took the snap.

Vs Alabama-
25 yds to Ellis
28 yds to Pig
20 yds to North
22 yds to North
15 yds to Pig

Vs SCar
42 yds to Von
22 yds to Pig
24 yds to Ellis
22 yds to Pig
26 yds to Pig
31 yds to Pig
18 yds to Pig

Vs Kentucky
21 yds to Pearson
19 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von
25 yds to Wolf
32 yds to Croom

Vs Mizzou
24 yds to Pig
20 yds to Pig
23 yds to Von

Vs Vandy
33 yds to Pig

Vs Iowa
19 yds to Pearson
18 yds to Pig
16 yds to Von

This just reminds me how lucky we are to have Pig and Von back again this season.

That....and he was thrown into the fray midseason, after expecting to redshirt, vs the #4 ranked team in total defense nationally (Bama)

Yeah, he probably dreamed of just such a scenario, and I thought he handled it well.

VN Store

Back