Powell Football

Sounds like you were told what Bill wanted to be told. I can say that what you've heard is not true. Losing the radio broadcast is not a big deal. You can't even pick the station up half the time when sitting in the high school parking lot. Somebody was making money off the broadcasts, and it wasn't the Powell football program.

There is so much misinformation and just plain BS in this post it doesn't even deserve a response. You really have no clue what so ever about what did or didn't happen. There is no way you could.

I had 12 great years at Powell, and enjoyed my time there and had the opportunity to meet and work with some really great people. I still support Powell 110% and I certainly hope they don't make the same huge mistake with the next hire that they did with the last.

And for the record, the last coach wasn't the only reason I and my station decided to move on, and it was 100% our decision, by the way. It was evident to me from the first time I met him that he was going to be a short timer at Powell. There were other considerations involved.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any candidates for the Powell job? I know there's a lot of instability in that program right now, but it's still a very appealing job. I never thought Allen was the right fit for that job, and obviously he was a nutcase of a coach. Who are some names you've heard Powell fans?

I have not heard much other than they wanted to make a hire before the Christmas break.

I heard that one of the canadiates is a former Powell player and it will be over the break when they hire.

Last edited:
Powell hires Clinton offensive coordinator Rodney Ellison as new head football coach. Thoughts?

Powell hires Clinton offensive coordinator Rodney Ellison as new head football coach. Thoughts?

Everybody I've talked to is please with the hire. However, that is the same sentiment with the last 3 coaches too. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode, but he does have a strong record of improving programs. He appears to be a very good offensive coach. He's also bringing in Jabari Davis (former UT running back) as a coach too. That definitely adds credibility.

Hopefully Rodney sticks long term. He's going to be on the Bill Mynatt show in the morning (Sat morning 10 AM).

Sadly it'll be many years until Powell is in the Playoffs again. Having so many head coaches in such a short period of time killed their program.

Sadly it'll be many years until Powell is in the Playoffs again. Having so many head coaches in such a short period of time killed their program.

They might make the playoffs, but given the caliber of coaches they are hiring (who is responsible for hiring these apparently unscrutunized coaching hacks?) it would seem to be a longshot that they will make the finals again anythime soon. And, the new hire had a 4-6 record at Wartburg (admittedly a very tough football coaching situation), so it doesn't look real promising for Powell.

They might make the playoffs, but given the caliber of coaches they are hiring (who is responsible for hiring these apparently unscrutunized coaching hacks?) it would seem to be a longshot that they will make the finals again anythime soon. And, the new hire had a 4-6 record at Wartburg (admittedly a very tough football coaching situation), so it doesn't look real promising for Powell.

Sad situation at Powell for sure

They took a real beating last night by Faragutt, it was 42-0 at the half.

They actually started the game pretty well. It was pretty even half way through the first quarter and Powell had a long TD pass called back for holding. After that - it was over.

Losing Brandon Brown to a shoulder injury will be a huge loss for them. He has an mri next week so not sure if he's done for the season yet or not - but it doesn't look good.

The defense needs some serious help. Couldn't defend the pass or the run.

Powell is still short on talent, but I still think Ellison is miles ahead of what Allen did last year.

Powell is still short on talent, but I still think Ellison is miles ahead of what Allen did last year.

Agree with you 100%. John Allen set the program back at least a couple of years all on his own, or at least with the help of the then administration who enabled him to destroy what positives were still present when he took over.

Rodney knows his stuff. He needs some time, and by that he will need at least 2-3 years to get the program back to a competitive state. The exodus of Powell zoned talent to the area privates who have hit the zone hard throughout the 6 head coaches in 5 years stretch needs to be slowed and a bridge back to the feeder program, which ironically now sits in the Karns zone (with it being based at Levi Field), needs to be rebuilt. That's something I am hearing is happening and is something that Rodney told me would be a priority.

The Emory Road trio (Karns, Powell, and Hall) are all struggling. Why?
IMO - coaching. Powell's coaching situation is well documented. Halls situation seems to be improving, but I think they had struggled for a while finding a good coach. I know some on here have a high opinion of Kilgore at Karns, but I for one do not. While he does the intangible things well (fan / community support, rah rah, etc.), I think he's a terrible coach.

Personally saw him take a kid who played LB and was 2nd string behind an all state player his SO year. Kilgore comes in his Jr year, takes one look at him and says he can't play the position and moved him to DE and didn't even letter that year (wouldn't even let him play special teams). Along comes a new set of coaches who recognizes his talent, moves him back to LB and he makes first team all-district with over 100 tackles in only 9 games. That's a serious lack of intelligence and the ability to evaluate players. The funny thing is, he never gave him an opportunity to play the position in a scrimmage. Made a unilateral decision based on nothing - there wasn't any game tape from his SO year because he tore his ACL in the first quarter of the first game.

I think Powell and Halls seem to have good coaches now, but Karns will struggle with Kilgore there. Again, that's just my humble opinion.

Just a off topic question for you Powell guys. I am from Dresden,Tn. Derek Rang is in his second year as our football coach. Seems to have our team going in the right direction and a deep run into the playoffs. Just wondering y'all s thoughts on him on his short time at Powell. And do you think he would leave west tn for east tn if given the opportunity? Thanks guys.

Just a off topic question for you Powell guys. I am from Dresden,Tn. Derek Rang is in his second year as our football coach. Seems to have our team going in the right direction and a deep run into the playoffs. Just wondering y'all s thoughts on him on his short time at Powell. And do you think he would leave west tn for east tn if given the opportunity? Thanks guys.
Honestly, this is difficult to answer. I thought Rang did a really good job, but the entire coaching staff from the state runner up team was retained. So, he didn't have to do anything other than not screw it up. He's been successful wherever he's been, so I'm assuming he'll do a good job there too.

I have no idea if he would leave and head back East or not.

Honestly, this is difficult to answer. I thought Rang did a really good job, but the entire coaching staff from the state runner up team was retained. So, he didn't have to do anything other than not screw it up. He's been successful wherever he's been, so I'm assuming he'll do a good job there too.

I have no idea if he would leave and head back East or not.

Disagree with you on that one, JPS.

While Derek took over a program in good shape, he did have to replace 16 starters off of Matt Lowe's last team and there were some serious off the field issues that he had to deal with. Derek did a really good job with that group, a group I had no expectations of getting to within 5 points of going back to the Blue Cross Bowl. I thought Rang did a great job during his year at Powell, and if the Superintendent had done what he should have and retained Rang the Powell program wouldn't have become the train wreck that it did in such a short period of time.

Derek is a solid football coach, and he is one of the brightest individuals I have been around in the high school coaching profession. Dresden needs to enjoy having him while they do because bigger schools will be interested in him. In fact, I know of one 6A school in East Tennessee that gaged interest from him this past year, but he indicated that he is happy at Dresden.

I haven't had the chance to talk to Derek since pre-season practice began, but back when I did talk to him last during the summer he was quite excited about this year's Lion team.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the information. I love his enthusiasm. He seems to love it here. I actually lived right around the corner from him before I moved but never had a chance to talk to him. He seems like a workaholic because every time I pass the field house he is there. My nephew plays for him and seems to love playing for him. We have a very talented team. Most of our team are juniors and have played together since the fifth grade. A guy y'all may become familiar with is Dresser Winn. Vanderbilt and Tennessee have been looking at him for baseball. He plays qb for us and has a rocket arm. Thanks again for y'all s response.

Disagree with you on that one, JPS.

While Derek took over a program in good shape, he did have to replace 16 starters off of Matt Lowe's last team and there were some serious off the field issues that he had to deal with. Derek did a really good job with that group, a group I had no expectations of getting to within 5 points of going back to the Blue Cross Bowl. I thought Rang did a great job during his year at Powell, and if the Superintendent had done what he should have and retained Rang the Powell program wouldn't have become the train wreck that it did in such a short period of time.

Derek is a solid football coach, and he is one of the brightest individuals I have been around in the high school coaching profession. Dresden needs to enjoy having him while they do because bigger schools will be interested in him. In fact, I know of one 6A school in East Tennessee that gaged interest from him this past year, but he indicated that he is happy at Dresden.

I haven't had the chance to talk to Derek since pre-season practice began, but back when I did talk to him last during the summer he was quite excited about this year's Lion team.
I wasn't disputing he was a good coach, just saying that the entire staff was retained and with only 1 year at the helm, that is a difficult question for me to answer. I liked what I saw, but didn't see enough to have a definitive answer. Clearly some good talent graduated, but Derek had a ton of talent left to work with too. Unlike Kilgore and Allen, he had a lot more to work with. And, with the entire staff retained, he didn't have to implement anything. Just a very different situation than what he has now which will be a much better gauge.

Last edited:
I wasn't disputing he was a good coach, just saying that the entire staff was retained and with only 1 year at the helm, that is a difficult question for me to answer. I liked what I saw, but didn't see enough to have a definitive answer. Clearly some good talent graduated, but Derek had a ton of talent left to work with too. Unlike Kilgore and Allen, he had a lot more to work with. And, with the entire staff retained, he didn't have to implement anything. Just a very different situation than what he has now which will be a much better gauge.

Rang's Dresden team is having a great year in 2015. They are undefeated and ranked #2 in this week's AP Class 1A poll.

The next two weeks will tell the tale, however. They play at #3 Peabody this Friday, and then go to #1 Union City next Friday - and both are region games. That's one gauntlet of a region, with the #s 1, 2, and 3 teams in the state in that region.

No matter how it turns out, however, Derek has done a really good job at Dresden. He's a legit high school football coach, which I saw from the day he took over at Powell in 2012.

Looking forward to being back in the broadcast booth at Scarbro Stadium this Friday night.

I, along with color commentator Kyle Blackburn and sideline guy Chad Scarbro, will be broadcasting the Heritage at Powell game on FM 94.3 - Knox Talk Radio. Going to be a blast to be back in that venue for this week's game.

I really like the job that Rodney Ellison is doing at Powell. While the record may not show it, he is doing a really good job of picking through the remains of the dumpster fire that he was left by John Allen and the previous administration. Unlike Allen, Rodney is a great fit for that job and I believe that he'll get it done there. It's simply going to take some time. If Powell supporters will be patient with him - and I know that AD Chad Smith has Rodney's back - the program will see progress.

Rang's Dresden team is having a great year in 2015. They are undefeated and ranked #2 in this week's AP Class 1A poll.

The next two weeks will tell the tale, however. They play at #3 Peabody this Friday, and then go to #1 Union City next Friday - and both are region games. That's one gauntlet of a region, with the #s 1, 2, and 3 teams in the state in that region.

No matter how it turns out, however, Derek has done a really good job at Dresden. He's a legit high school football coach, which I saw from the day he took over at Powell in 2012.

Thanks for the kind words. We will see what we got Friday night for sure.

VN Store

Back