POTS song selection

I see I phrased my question wrong: I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't wonder why they play that. I was just wondering whether you suspect there might be some hidden reason, other than when they started playing it it was instantly recognizable and that they've been playing it forever. In other words, I meant no disrespect to you.

I also wish they'd update their repertoire a bit -- and although it's beyond the Pride's control, I wish the powers that be would play less piped-in crap and let the band play more.

I wish I could like more than once!!! The Maynard Ferguson Chameleon Song (above) would be a good one!

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Sorry, but wtf is POSTB?

giphy.gif

I think that is POTSB. I like the guest performers at halftime like The Osborne Brothers. I’m partial to Country or Bluegrass, maybe throw in some Pop.

I don’t really know the story behind it, but I’ve heard the Pride play the opening melody from Led Zeppelin’s “immigrant song” for years. Like I said, maybe there’s some significance to it...I don’t know.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind them changing it up a bit. I always liked the break-in melody from Baba O’Riley. I think that would be cool.

Anyway, does anyone know why we play immigrant song so much? Anyone else think the POTS should try something new?

I’m sick of the same ****. Except Rocky Top and Tennessee Waltz. Don’t care if I hear Immigrant Song again in my life.

An old Classic that used to define Football Time in Tennessee: Down the Field. Maynard would be a great addition. I heard him in concert in the 70s and everyone was yelling for Chameleon. He refused to break his playlist, but stated "You will like this next one, it has a lot of the same notes!"

I’m sorry as this with offend many of you that are POTS alumni but the band has become as bad as the football team has in recent years.

When Bama has you down by 35 at the half, hard to toot your horn.

Why? You’re not physically hurt. So the band quits when the FB team gets drilled? But the band has been bad even in the good games. Same ole songs, same ole routines all the time.

Why? You’re not physically hurt. So the band quits when the FB team gets drilled? But the band has been bad even in the good games. Same ole songs, same ole routines all the time.

It will take time to rebuild the POTS; five years minimum. Since we had a new coach, last year was Year Zero.

It is all about winning the recruiting battles. We are disturbing weak at trombone, with little to no depth in flute.

Hang in there...the journey is the reward!

I am one of those old fogey POTS members and I agree with the current halftime shows. At least we tried to do something completely different for every home game back in the 80s.

Old? Back in the 80s?!?! Whippersnapper...

TThe Wisconsin band breaks up into lots of mini-bands after the games that spread out into the tailgaters and play for food/drinks. It is an excellent tradition. They also have a 5th quarter immediately after the game where the band returns to the field and people stay and “dance”. Used to be cool now most people just leave.

In the time before Alvarez, during the 50-year "winter" of Wisconsin football, there was only the Badger Band. Fans came to the stadium and gave rapt attention to the pregame show, the half-time show, and the post-game show - the 5th quarter. If anyone had to go to the restroom, they did so when the football team was playing.

As for The Pride of the Southland, they need to be unleashed. More and fresher arrangements. Rock anthems and orchestral favorites need to be augmented with classic R&B and funk, as well as recent hip hop, pop country, and latin hits. Let the drum corps get wiggy, feature the bottom end of the horns. Fresh choreography. Let the freak flag fly by section during pre-game. Let 'em have fun, by Jimminy!

I don’t really know the story behind it, but I’ve heard the Pride play the opening melody from Led Zeppelin’s “immigrant song” for years. Like I said, maybe there’s some significance to it...I don’t know.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind them changing it up a bit. I always liked the break-in melody from Baba O’Riley. I think that would be cool.

Anyway, does anyone know why we play immigrant song so much? Anyone else think the POTS should try something new?
That riff is a standard for marching bands everywhere. HS bands play (or try to play) that riff also. It's just a marching band standard.

I think that UT needs to double the size of the drumline and find some cool drumline riff to play on third downs, one that will make the stadium bounce.

VN Store

Back