POTS song selection

I really like when they play that theme from the movie Gladiator when we're on defense. Nothing like it when the defense is trying to make a stand and the stadium is shaking, I miss the early 2000's

Reactions: onevol74 and tbh
P.O.T.S. Band has a great SONG library. Unfortunately, they play mostly mindless riffs during the games rather than actual arrangements. It's laziness IMO.
I always like the star wars darth vadar theme, when our team is trying to get bowl eligible, seemingly to strike fear in the opponent..."oh no, here comes the last rated offense in the SEC...please, NO...they're playing THAT music!"

Last edited:
They also play the opening riff from Black Sabbath's Iron Man.

But I'm wondering why you think there's some significance to it. My guess is that it's just a riff that they've been playing forever.

To me, the best innovation the Pride has done in the last few years is the circle thing the drummers do around the team at the conclusion of pre-game warmups.

I love the band but I do wish they'd change up the music they play in the March to the Stadium and Salute to the Hill. That's gotten stale
Me personally, I love the pregame routine. But there definitely needs to be changes to the routines everywhere else.
I wish they would actually start trying to entertain at halftime instead of paying tribute to something different every week. It is stale and boring.
And if they were allowed to discuss it publicly, most of the POTSB members would tell you the same thing. IMO of course.
I am one of those old fogey POTS members and I agree with the current halftime shows. At least we tried to do something completely different for every home game back in the 80s.

I am one of those old fogey POTS members and I agree with the current halftime shows. At least we tried to do something completely different for every home game back in the 80s.

Sounds like you are a Dr. Julian protege. I would love for some of his students take the program over and return it to it's glory and discipline.

Every year when I was in POTS, we’d add new songs. Then we’d still play the same stuff 98% of the time. There was a ton of different music available to play, we just didn’t for some reason.

Last edited:
Every year when I was in POTS, we’d add new songs. Then we’d still play the same stuff 98% of the time. There was a ton of different music available to play, we just didn’t for some reason.
TThe Wisconsin band breaks up into lots of mini-bands after the games that spread out into the tailgaters and play for food/drinks. It is an excellent tradition. They also have a 5th quarter immediately after the game where the band returns to the field and people stay and “dance”. Used to be cool now most people just leave.

Sounds like you are a Dr. Julian protege. I would love for some of his students take the program over and return it to it's glory and discipline.
You are very correct. My last year, I was section leader of the Saxophone section and first chair in the concert band. I had a good relationship with Dr. Julian.....and believe me that was not an easy thing to accomplish. He made being in the band fun, frightening, hard, exciting and DEFINITELY never boring. Not many band directors use a physicist to design their shows.

Reactions: SmokinBob
At the end of last season and half way through the season before, they should have struck up "Too Legit To Quit". Maybe that would have shown the team something.

Start playing Rocky Top at kick off and don’t stop until the games over... I want to make other teams snap even if we lose.

I'm a simple man. If you take it to the limit, Rocky Top is all I need. :)

Last edited:
My daughter was in a large university’s marching band several years ago. They had a new routine and songs every home game. She found it exhausting the amount of practice time it took. Maybe students don’t have the time available or the want to do it?

Friends and I have talked about suggesting that the band stop on the bridge during the March to the Stadium.Turn toward the stadium and play some sort of strong brass Fan Fare announcing the gladiators (football) team has arrived...then return to the normal march .....shouldn't have any adverse effect on the Salute to Hill from the street below to follow......just a refreshing touch that might be well received by the fans..
JMO

Actually, the band had a great Down the Field Fanfare when they came onto the field at halftime during the late 1960’s and early 70’s. It would be awesome to hear them play if for 1st downs with a “Go Vols!” At the end. Similar to like Auburn uses the broad brassy War Eagle fanfare on first downs.

Last edited:
Would love to hear the POSTB do a slow swing Dixieland version of Down by the Riverside since Neyland sits right on the river. Maybe at the end of the third quarter. Put the words out there and the drunks can sing and dance. UGA does that with Glory, Glory.

I know better than to post with a little alcohol consumption behind me but what the heck...I love the POTSB equally as much as the athletic programs, especially football.
They are as much, actually more, of this university heritage as any other program in existence.
I want to see them excel at what they do and be the true pride of the Southland. IMO, the leadership has become lazy and just drawing a paycheck waiting for retirement.
One of our young men spent 3 years in the POTSB very recently before he moved on. He is very talented. He is representative of many of the members in that they are extremely talented but that talent is being wasted because they get totally bored with the routine since it doesn't challenge them.
Come on POTSB. Get your head out of your azz.
Go vols.

As someone who played in a marching band that copied their music, yes, I'd like to see them change it up. I too got tired of playing that song. My director I guess did that because we were a local school and some of us would probably move on to be in the POTS. I probably enjoyed playing 'Louie, Louie' more than 'Immigrant Song', even though I love Led Zeppelin. And I'm not really sure why we play the same songs over and over again...my guess would just be it just became tradition. Those songs are absolutely drilled into my memory...can still probably play them by memory.

Last edited:
If you're bored enough to post about this crap you need to start following baseball.

A loud speaker and a CD could do the job better and a LOT cheaper.

VN Store

Back