POTS song selection

clarencepeabody

Not a very well-known member
I don’t really know the story behind it, but I’ve heard the Pride play the opening melody from Led Zeppelin’s “immigrant song” for years. Like I said, maybe there’s some significance to it...I don’t know.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind them changing it up a bit. I always liked the break-in melody from Baba O’Riley. I think that would be cool.

Anyway, does anyone know why we play immigrant song so much? Anyone else think the POTS should try something new?

Reactions: wmcovol
Love POTS threads!

giphy.gif

I don’t really know the story behind it, but I’ve heard the Pride play the opening melody from Led Zeppelin’s “immigrant song” for years. Like I said, maybe there’s some significance to it...I don’t know.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind them changing it up a bit. I always liked the break-in melody from Baba O’Riley. I think that would be cool.

Anyway, does anyone know why we play immigrant song so much? Anyone else think the POTS should try something new?

If I had to wager $$$ it's that the POTS leadership is lazy as it has been for a while and have the mindset of playing the same songs over and over. Just play Rocky Top 6,000 times per game and as long as the fans yell, "whoo", life is good.

Just my $0.02.

They also play the opening riff from Black Sabbath's Iron Man.

But I'm wondering why you think there's some significance to it. My guess is that it's just a riff that they've been playing forever.

To me, the best innovation the Pride has done in the last few years is the circle thing the drummers do around the team at the conclusion of pre-game warmups.

I love the band but I do wish they'd change up the music they play in the March to the Stadium and Salute to the Hill. That's gotten stale

Anyway, does anyone know why we play immigrant song so much? Anyone else think the POTS should try something new?play,

Do they still play

They also play the opening riff from Black Sabbath's Iron Man.

But I'm wondering why you think there's some significance to it. My guess is that it's just a riff that they've been playing forever.

To me, the best innovation the Pride has done in the last few years is the circle thing the drummers do around the team at the conclusion of pre-game warmups.

I love the band but I do wish they'd change up the music they play in the March to the Stadium and Salute to the Hill. That's gotten stale

I was just wondering. They’ve been playing it for years, so I didn’t know if there was a reason or not.

Reactions: feathersax
Friends and I have talked about suggesting that the band stop on the bridge during the March to the Stadium.Turn toward the stadium and play some sort of strong brass Fan Fare announcing the gladiators (football) team has arrived...then return to the normal march .....shouldn't have any adverse effect on the Salute to Hill from the street below to follow......just a refreshing touch that might be well received by the fans..
JMO

Me personally, I love the pregame routine. But there definitely needs to be changes to the routines everywhere else.
I wish they would actually start trying to entertain at halftime instead of paying tribute to something different every week. It is stale and boring.
And if they were allowed to discuss it publicly, most of the POTSB members would tell you the same thing. IMO of course.

I was just wondering. They’ve been playing it for years, so I didn’t know if there was a reason or not.

I see I phrased my question wrong: I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't wonder why they play that. I was just wondering whether you suspect there might be some hidden reason, other than when they started playing it it was instantly recognizable and that they've been playing it forever. In other words, I meant no disrespect to you.

I also wish they'd update their repertoire a bit -- and although it's beyond the Pride's control, I wish the powers that be would play less piped-in crap and let the band play more.

Last edited:
I don't go to football games for the band. They are part of the pageantry that I enjoy as part of the experience.

In my high school days, the band always played dirges and death marches as we came out for the 2nd half. It was depressing and demoralizing. One day we threw the whole band in the creek during practice and told them to learn something new. They did!

I, for one, think we need more Zeppelin played.

It was "new" in 1998 when I was in the POTS. Nothing special other than it was something quick to get the crowd going, and Sousa liked it.

I actually hadn't heard it in ages until 2016 or 2017 when Fuller Lyon rejoined the program (he was the drum major back in 98-99). I assume he probably drug it out of mothballs, but I have no actual idea. Some older songs came back into rotation from the late 90s about the same time.

Honestly, I'm just surprised they haven't completely replaced the POTS with the Jumbotron at this point.

Reactions: Frozevol

VN Store

Back