Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

I just heard Bert Bertelkamp on WNML and he said he suspected a starting 5 of James, Turner,Bowden,Pons,and Fulkerson with Johnson and ORN playing big roles off the bench.

He said Plavsic being eligible was big.

He didnt mention Pember or Kent's names.

He did quickly mention Gaines.

He said he expected them to be in the top half of the SEC and win 18-20 games.

I just heard Bert Bertelkamp on WNML and he said he suspected a starting 5 of James, Turner,Bowden,Pons,and Fulkerson with Johnson and ORN playing big roles off the bench.

Well, does that encourage you any?

grumpy-cat-no-1.jpg

Not particularly.

I said myself I thought if Plavsic was eligible and we were to add a useful grad transfer we could approach 20 wins.

I personally believe without him that the current roster is very weak.

The board seems to get very defensive when someone doesnt have a positive outlook but Im sorry.

Not particularly.

I said myself I thought if Plavsic was eligible and we were to add a useful grad transfer we could approach 20 wins.

I personally believe without him that the current roster is very weak.

The board seems to get very defensive when someone doesnt have a positive outlook but Im sorry.

It's not that the takes aren't positive. It's that they are a D-nozzle level of idiocy.

Expect we see this lineup a lot early on in the non-SEC schedule against smaller mid-majors. However once we play SEC opponents or higher level programs I’m afraid this lineup would get punished on the glass. We definitely could play fast, but you can’t play fast if the opposing team is playing volleyball on the offensive glass.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Ok Jimmy Dykes tell me what exactly Ive said that was idiotic?

Be specific and Ill gladly back it up.

Like Ive said before I have no problem what so ever putting my basketball resume and knowledge against anyone here.

Just because you have no life and live on this board doesnt make you any smarter than anyone else.

It just gives you more time to pick battles with others out of boredom.

Expect we see this lineup a lot early on in the non-SEC schedule against smaller mid-majors. However once we play SEC opponents or higher level programs I’m afraid this lineup would get punished on the glass. We definitely could play fast, but you can’t play fast if the opposing team is playing volleyball on the offensive glass.

Be careful suggesting they'll struggle and need to play small ball and run.

I said the same and some dumb**** called me an idiot.

Ok Jimmy Dykes tell me what exactly Ive said that was idiotic?

Be specific and Ill gladly back it up.

Like Ive said before I have no problem what so ever putting my basketball resume and knowledge against anyone here.

Just because you have no life and live on this board doesnt make you any smarter than anyone else.

It just gives you more time to pick battles with others out of boredom.
who in the world are you talking to here?

Man, the missing ingredient for a successful'19-'20 Vols team is a freshman all-SEC type of season for ORN at the 4 and Plavsic being eligible, imo. Especially, now that Burns is in the "Portal"

We will win 20+ barring significant injuries.

Gaines and Pember are both gonna be good players before it's over.

Given the situation they may play this year.

3 months ago woulda bet they would redshirt

Last edited:
Reactions: StrangeVol
We will win 20+ barring significant injuries.

Gaines and Pember are both gonna be good players before it's over.

Given the situation they may play this year.

3 months ago woulda bet they would redshirt
I’d say Pember redshirts anyway. He’s coming off injury and a less than impressive senior year

As for the current team, Rick Barnes has told some people that the work ethic he’s seen from this group is as good as any team he’s ever head. That’s high praise from the veteran head coach and says a lot about the leadership he’s getting from seniors Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden. Some newcomers have been turning heads during the second session of summer school as everyone is getting more in tune with the offseason workout program. Josiah James is as good as advertised from the buzz we’ve been picking up. He may not be a starter simply because of matchups, but freshman Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua has turned heads and some feel like he’s already one of the best five players on the team. Similarly, Davante Gaines is developing a reputation as one of the toughest guys on the team despite being a freshman who isn’t even cracking 170 pounds on the scales yet. As for the veterans, Jalen Johnson seems to be the guy who’s generated the most chatter this summer in terms of getting better and taking a step forward. If that continues that’s a huge positive for this team. Johnson was always viewed as a long term project when the Vols signed him and based on what we’re hearing about him this summer he seems close to reaching his potential and validating the staff’s evaluation of him as a high school prospect.
-VQ

ORN is getting a lot of the same “talk” that GW was, not just that he’s impressing like we hear about many guys, but about his work ethic and effort etc...again not predicting he matches GW freshman year, but definitely sounds like the staff possibly found another underrated post in ORN.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I find it so hard to believe much of the offseason fluff. At various points in the offseason, we have heard how Plavsic, ORN, Gaines, James, Johnson, etc. are looking extremely good. I guess it should all maybe be taken with a grain of salt more than just wholly dismissed, but I feel like we hear the same stories every year and a fraction of it turns out to materialize in the season.

It could all be true, but history suggests that these are feel-good pieces to keep fans engaged and excited during the offseason. Occasionally, you get one that pans out (Grant Williams buzz from his freshman season, for example), but in most cases, the guys expected to heavily contribute are the ones that do, and the summer darlings fade into the background when the lights come on.

I find it so hard to believe much of the offseason fluff. At various points in the offseason, we have heard how Plavsic, ORN, Gaines, James, Johnson, etc. are looking extremely good. I guess it should all maybe be taken with a grain of salt more than just wholly dismissed, but I feel like we hear the same stories every year and a fraction of it turns out to materialize in the season.

It could all be true, but history suggests that these are feel-good pieces to keep fans engaged and excited during the offseason. Occasionally, you get one that pans out (Grant Williams buzz from his freshman season, for example), but in most cases, the guys expected to heavily contribute are the ones that do, and the summer darlings fade into the background when the lights come on.
This is pretty accurate and often the case, it’s why I dismissed the other parts, but to me (I very well could be wrong) the ORN seems to be more than just the typical “he’s impressed”. Multiple outlets have reported him impressing, and the talk hasn’t been just that he looks good but lots of other areas he’s impressed as well, so again I could turn out wrong but the vibes seem similar to what we heard about GW.

Not to switch gears but it is similar in football, probably worse, every year they talk about new guys impressing...but I remember the talk around Derek Barnett was different, just a much more matter of fact to it.

I'm not too concerned about who is the next star in the front court. Rather, if the added height and length translate to improved offensive rebounding(by platoon is fine), jalen becomes a solid perimeter scorer and ball security remains a plus we'll have a good season. That's the Barnes history (simplified of course).

I remember reading how impressive Kwe Parker looked in the summer. This happens every year.

I’m with BTO I think ORN is going to get a lot of run this year and be solid for us. I still don’t trust anyone at center.

Reactions: Catbone

VN Store

Back