Post your coaching pick

I've said it before and I'll say it again. VN would have fired Nick Saban after a four years when Michigan st hired him from TOLEDO! Yes a GROUP of 5 coach!

Toledo
1994 9-2

Michigan St
1995 6-5-1
1996 6-6
1997 7-5
1998 6-6
They waited though.
1999 9-2

LSU
2000 8-4
2001 10-3
2002 8-5
2003 13-1
2004 9-3

NFL

Alabama
2007 6-6
2008 12-2

Michigan State was terrible in 3-4 the years leading up to Saban getting there, and they got caught up in an academic scandal. MSU needed stability and those .500 seasons looked pretty good at the time.
But to your point, I think we are a very similar position and need to show patience with this next hire, unless the next HC is completely inept

Nobody knew that Brett Bielema wanted out of Wisconsin until he was announced at Arkansas. I think that was a surprise to everybody. Maybe there is another coach out there in a similar situation that no one is thinking of.
The surprise was he left for Arkansas, not that he left Wisconsin. Brett had enough turmoil prior to that, with Barry breathing on him, to not be surprised that wasn’t a long term marriage

He's a weirdo man. And his schtick isn't made to last
PJ Fleck.

He fits the mold DW is looking for.

1. Young and energetic
2. Current HC
3. Proven Rebuilder
4. Winner
5. High Integrity

Also, Fleck would reasonably take the job and be up for the challenge. I’d be more than satisfied with this hire.

This isn’t my pick or anything, but it’s the best place I know to put it, but I won why Herm Edwards doesn’t get a call. I know 17-13 isn’t great. But it’s Arizona freaking state. Idk why but I think he would recruit well here. NFL experience, been in college for a couple years now and for some reason I feel like he would handle our ncaa stuff pretty well.

Don’t flame me too hard haha

This isn’t my pick or anything, but it’s the best place I know to put it, but I won why Herm Edwards doesn’t get a call. I know 17-13 isn’t great. But it’s Arizona freaking state. Idk why but I think he would recruit well here. NFL experience, been in college for a couple years now and for some reason I feel like he would handle our ncaa stuff pretty well.

Don’t flame me too hard haha
Is there a difference between ASU and Tennessee?

Who ever they hire has the first two years to get the kids playing. By year three just want to see the kids from year one have drastically improved . Wether they were 1/2 ✨ or 7 ⭐ players.
With Dooley , Jones, Pruitt it was the same 💩 every week , every month, every year.
Kiffin did more in one year than those three did in 12 years combined.

I disagree. Dooley was the only coach after the Fulmer years who built at least one elite unit while he was at UT. Our offense during his last year was definitely elite - I think statistically one of the best we ever had. Chaney and Pittman were hugely important for that success, but I give Dooley a lot of credit for keeping Chaney after Kiffin left. It would be nice if whoever we hire now is smart enough to keep both Chaney and Steele - it would give that new coach a head start because it should reduce the number of players (we have some talent and Pruitt should be getting some credit for that) getting into transfer portal. I'm assuming Steele has been building some relationships with the players by now as well, and also our players know he has been very successful DC at Auburn.
Having said all this, I would be happy if we bring either Kiffin or Dooley back. Butch was the only terrible hire as far as I'm concerned (just because these guys did not work out does not mean they were not logical hires at that time - there are no guarantees any hires will work out especially when you play against SEC competition).

Kiffin- The rebellious son that fights for his dad's attention (Saban) only to lose- NO

Dykes- good administration skills and offensive mind, but struggles to recruit game changers- NO

Freeze- great offensive mind. Good energy with his players- but UT won't hire him it seems- null and void

Chadwell- see Freeze - null and void

Napier- good recruiting and development. Solid offensive mind. Knows how to find speed. - YES

Campbell- below average recruiter but great development. Solid xs and os in all facits of the game. Great administrative skills.
Needs strong recruiters on staff- YES

Elliot- no HC experience. Good offensive mind and developer. Strong recruiter. Not sure his coaching experience is well rounded enough- wash

Herman- strong recruiter and xs and os. Administrative skills questionable at present. Motivations unknown- wash.

VN Store

Back