Post on A&M paying players

I wouldn't because the boosters have WAY better lawyers and accountants than I want to hire as a college QB. Take less, tell the boosters you'll take less IF........ and let them figure out the IRS crap.

If a QB is getting the NIL money and passing it under the table, the QB is still paying tax on all of it. No need. Let the boosters cut 8-10 checks instead of 1.

Depends on how it is all structured. Maybe open a business. NIL money goes into the business and pays the employees (the players). Who knows how this will all work in the end. I think you are saying...

The "star player" could lobby the boosters by saying "I'll only come here if these three players get this much money." You lower my pay and increase theirs. Makes sense also.

why share my money instead of demanding it from the boosters?
You can demand. Doesn't mean you will always get it. Maybe they deem you are only worth 1 mil.

You want 1 mil and three other players to get 300k each... they may say no.

We all are going to have to watch it play out.

Depends on how it is all structured. Maybe open a business. NIL money goes into the business and pays the employees (the players). Who knows how this will all work in the end. I think you are saying...

The "star player" could lobby the boosters by saying "I'll only come here if these three players get this much money." You lower my pay and increase theirs. Makes sense also.
This is ALL pointing to players being professional athletes, isn't it? Employees.

At that point, the NCAA, NIL, pay for play is moot. We all see it.

We've all known it for years: elite players get paid to play in college. It's time to "Come to Jesus" about it, get it in the open, create a pro league for elite players and a college/amateur league for non-elite players......... and move on.

All these twists and contortions to "keep the game amateur" are silly. It's not amateur football at the elite level and hasn't been for decades.

I would absolutely love to see the people who matter at UT put together a plan to supply the football program with the talent required to compete at the highest level. I'm rather disappointed that we're behind the curve here. If anything our boosters should be far hungrier and should have anticipated the possibilities beforehand.

This will be the fascinating part of NIL. As we all know even in recruiting classes full of studs, there will always be a few that don't pan out. Sometimes whole classes basically become unproductive for one reason or another. If a booster gets burned badly enough, are they going to throw in the towel? Will there be boosters to replace them or will current NIL heavyweights increase their input?Smart people tend to learn from their mistakes, so I'm inclined to think most would reduce their contributions. It's exciting and it'll be hilarious to watch.
How long before a booster/NIL agreement is held over a kids head to perform. Player goes from being paid well to feeling owned. Once the relationship is strained all it takes is a few tweets to put it out there and watch it burn. Without rules in place, guidelines and standards it’s a free market at the expense of ones potential athletic ability. And what can a coach do? Nothing because they are not in control any longer. Booster has more control over the program and now it’s legal.

Reactions: Hyperion
How long before a booster/NIL agreement is held over a kids head to perform. Player goes from being paid well to feeling owned. Once the relationship is strained all it takes is a few tweets to put it out there and watch it burn. Without rules in place, guidelines and standards it’s a free market at the expense of ones potential athletic ability. And what can a coach do? Nothing because they are not in control any longer. Booster has more control over the program and now it’s legal.

It will be fascinating to watch. It's worth rewatching the 30 for 30 called Pony Express on SMU's attempt to buy football immortality. I do know this. If a booster is pouring significant resources into something as volatile as an 18 year old, you better believe they want a deal that protects their downside if the athlete doesn't meet expectations.

The coaches have lost all power in the new arrangement. Now players can simply leave and as you said the boosters can really maximize their potential power under this system. So as a coach you have historically low leverage over the players on your team and the boosters potentially control you like a sock puppet.

Reactions: Majors
It will be fascinating to watch. It's worth rewatching the 30 for 30 called Pony Express on SMU's attempt to buy football immortality. I do know this. If a booster is pouring significant resources into something as volatile as an 18 year old, you better believe they want a deal that protects their downside if the athlete doesn't meet expectations.

The coaches have lost all power in the new arrangement. Now players can simply leave and as you said the boosters can really maximize their potential power under this system. So as a coach you have historically low leverage over the players on your team and the boosters potentially control you like a sock puppet.
All Jimbo has to say is I don’t know about the NIL. Golly gee, we just offered them a chance to compete and get a quality education here at AM.

You can demand. Doesn't mean you will always get it. Maybe they deem you are only worth 1 mil.

You want 1 mil and three other players to get 300k each... they may say no.

We all are going to have to watch it play out.
then I go somewhere else

Or one gets injured in the first game. Most Boosters just look at wins they could care less about the athletes.

Reactions: Majors

VN Store

Back