Post NSD Depth Chart?

Seeing Crouch mentioned a lot. Am I the only one who thinks he might need a redshirt as he transitions to a completely new position?

The qb spot?

Not at all. JG starts all season if healthy.
Spot is not "wide open". Even bad experience is experience and JG has that advantage.

But Chaney requires one thing that is a significant weakness for JG. He demands his QB's be good decision makers. They have to read quickly and correctly. They have to throw receivers open rather than waiting until they are open.

JG has to improve significantly. If he doesn't and neither of the others are good enough to take over... it will hurt the team. If either of the others prove worthy of an investment then JG better figure things out quick.

Reactions: LittleVol
Seeing Crouch mentioned a lot. Am I the only one who thinks he might need a redshirt as he transitions to a completely new position?

I think the goal is to RS as many freshmen as you can. Roster just isn't to the level that it can be done. Not sure they have the luxury to RS him. Our front 7 on defense is woefully thin.

Spot is not "wide open". Even bad experience is experience and JG has that advantage.

But Chaney requires one thing that is a significant weakness for JG. He demands his QB's be good decision makers. They have to read quickly and correctly. They have to throw receivers open rather than waiting until they are open.

JG has to improve significantly. If he doesn't and neither of the others are good enough to take over... it will hurt the team. If either of the others prove worthy of an investment then JG better figure things out quick.
Yes we all know that the sign of a bad decision maker is setting a record for lowest ints while completing over 62% with a better than 140 rating with one of the worst lines in football.

😐

Last edited:
Yes we all no that the sign of a bad decision maker is setting a record for lowest ints while completing over 62% with a better than 140 rating with one of the worst lines in football.

😐

It's hard to throw interceptions when you're not throwing it. He continuously eats the football and takes a sack. Auburn game was the only time he looked capable of playing QB. And really all he did was throw 50/50 balls all day....

16 tds in 2 years....

But, hey. Let's get it to 25 for 3 years!! 👍
#TUFFSTUFF

Yes we all no that the sign of a bad decision maker is setting a record for lowest ints while completing over 62% with a better than 140 rating with one of the worst lines in football.

😐
Low INT's can be a function of a highly effective QB who precisely manages risks... or a staff that doesn't let a QB throw risky passes because he can't. A high completion % again can be because of low risk, low reward passes. And funny how that "worst line in football"... didn't allow as much pressure or as many sacks when they had someone behind them that made decisions quicker.

Of course you've been told this repeatedly by many people here. It still hasn't penetrated your stubborn, cult like thinking.

I'll try one more time... if the QB doesn't do a good pre-snap read then he's already more than a half second behind on delivering the ball before it is even snapped. JG doesn't appear to be able to decipher what he sees pre-snap. After taking the snap, a QB has to quickly see and read his keys. He has to make a decision most of the time before he completes his drop. By the time he completes his drop, he should be in the process of throwing to a spot where a receiver is going to break open. The QB can't wait to see if the receiver is open. He has to anticipate it.

That's the decision making we're talking about. It isn't measured well by completion % skewed by dump downs that don't sustain drives or "designed" throws where no reading of the D is really involved. It does involve seeing that a slant will be open because of the way the front is aligned to create pressure... and burning teams before they can get those big alignment advantages on your OL.

The ultimate job of a QB whether a passer, a "game manager", or an option QB is to move the O and score points. He's a decision maker within the scheme. They operate in a smaller "box" but the decision a passer has to make isn't very dissimilar from what a wishbone option QB has to make. He has to see pre-snap alignments and keys, read post snap keys, and make a decision that takes advantage of the D's biggest vulnerability.

The O simply hasn't moved the ball consistently or scored points behind JG. If he does not improve his decision making then he will either hurt the team because no one is better or he'll be replaced. You should really hate Chaney... he demands a decision maker. That's JG's biggest challenge.

Reactions: LittleVol
Isn’t soloman a little undersized for a true 3-4 NT?

If you're thinking of a John Henderson Albert Haynesworth type, yes. Most NT are fireplugs. Heavy, nasty, low types that can't be moved by two guys allowing linebackers to fill either side of the gap.

He could, in an ideal setup he would, but I think the athleticism of this team needs his injection sooner rather than later. I don't see him starting, but I think he'll be pushing for that by end of season, injuries will probably initiate some of that and "need" the rest.

I’d rather see banks go back to RB now that we have more depth and let him focus on holding onto the ball this offseason

I disagree, all Banks did was take carries away from more talented players ahead of him. LB is the best spot for him with the current team we have. Now next year that could change if chandler or Jordan leave.

Low INT's can be a function of a highly effective QB who precisely manages risks... or a staff that doesn't let a QB throw risky passes because he can't. A high completion % again can be because of low risk, low reward passes. And funny how that "worst line in football"... didn't allow as much pressure or as many sacks when they had someone behind them that made decisions quicker.

Of course you've been told this repeatedly by many people here. It still hasn't penetrated your stubborn, cult like thinking.

I'll try one more time... if the QB doesn't do a good pre-snap read then he's already more than a half second behind on delivering the ball before it is even snapped. JG doesn't appear to be able to decipher what he sees pre-snap. After taking the snap, a QB has to quickly see and read his keys. He has to make a decision most of the time before he completes his drop. By the time he completes his drop, he should be in the process of throwing to a spot where a receiver is going to break open. The QB can't wait to see if the receiver is open. He has to anticipate it.

That's the decision making we're talking about. It isn't measured well by completion % skewed by dump downs that don't sustain drives or "designed" throws where no reading of the D is really involved. It does involve seeing that a slant will be open because of the way the front is aligned to create pressure... and burning teams before they can get those big alignment advantages on your OL.

The ultimate job of a QB whether a passer, a "game manager", or an option QB is to move the O and score points. He's a decision maker within the scheme. They operate in a smaller "box" but the decision a passer has to make isn't very dissimilar from what a wishbone option QB has to make. He has to see pre-snap alignments and keys, read post snap keys, and make a decision that takes advantage of the D's biggest vulnerability.

The O simply hasn't moved the ball consistently or scored points behind JG. If he does not improve his decision making then he will either hurt the team because no one is better or he'll be replaced. You should really hate Chaney... he demands a decision maker. That's JG's biggest challenge.
Was never impressed with Tyler Bray’s decision making.

Was never impressed with Tyler Bray’s decision making.
Bray took over from Simms. He got the ball out quicker... and man could the guy light up the scoreboard. Maybe the biggest difference between him and JG is confidence. Bray was confident that if he wanted to throw it... he could complete the pass.

Remember the time he basically called his shot to Gerald Jones?

After Bray became the starter... behind an OL that finished the season dead last in sacks allowed... the Vols scored 30 ppg. He was injured for much of '11 but the Vols still scored a TD more per game than the O has behind JG when Bray played. That was also the year Hunter went down vs UF leaving the Vols both thin at WR but the OL with Bray pulling the trigger and no Simms... went from last in the SEC in sacks allowed to 3rd... IIRC they were first in sacks per pass attempt. In his last season, he took only 8 sacks all year and the O scored 36 ppg.

I'll take that decision making along with the progression of the OL. Sacks in 2010 by each QB is an illustration of what many of us are talking about. A QB's decision makes a big impact along with the actual performance of the OL. Both have to be right. Neither were right last fall.

Last edited:
Bray took over from Simms. He got the ball out quicker... and man could the guy light up the scoreboard. Maybe the biggest difference between him and JG is confidence. Bray was confident that if he wanted to throw it... he could complete the pass.

Remember the time he basically called his shot to Gerald Jones?
Maybe best THROWER in our QB history...grip and rip category. Point was DECISIONS. Could throw you right back in a game, but a major portion of the narrative of Chaney going pass happy during games was Bray messing up in crunch time. There was a disconnect there which I liken as a Bears fan to Jay Cutler...an obviously even better THROWER.

The qb spot?

Not at all. JG starts all season if healthy.
He'll have to get better with making quick decisions and his awareness needs to improve or he won't be, I like JG alot and you never have to question if he's giving everything he's got but those 2 attributes mean alot and this past season it wasn't always on the oline when they failed him. I'm rooting for him but I've seen quite a bit from JT, it's not a run away like some may think but it's hard to go against experience.

Reactions: sjt18
Skill positions on offense are set. O-line is totally up in the air. We can't know if the freshmen are going to be ready to play. We assume Smith is going to take a medical red shirt. We assume Richmond will transfer. What is the status of Chance Hall? Is Kennedy going to be fully recovered? Further complicating matters is several linemen play multiple positions. It's going to be interesting to see what Friend does with the O-line.

I legitimately think Ollie Lane pushes for, or wins, the starting Center spot. He's big (6'4 310) and has no Butch stink on him. Only ever been coached by Friend and Fitz, so he has no bad habits from the old staff. I suspect the line looks like:

LT - Morris
LG - J. Johnson (up to 297lbs which is like 20 pounds since September)
C - O. Lane
RG - Carvin (for the same reasons as Lane)
RT - Wright

IF Smith can play, he immediately gets the starting LG spot, but I think that's unlikely. Ryan Johnson, Riley Locklear will push, but I just don't have any faith in either. Lampley could surprise, but probably needs a year. Calbert will be the Spring/Summer hot name but not be a factor in the Fall once again.

Yes we all know that the sign of a bad decision maker is setting a record for lowest ints while completing over 62% with a better than 140 rating with one of the worst lines in football.

😐

Let me know when JG scores more than 2 TD in a game in his career (YIKES LOL).

If you still think JG is good then maybe you should re-watch the 2018 Florida game. Plenty of signs of his good decision making especially when he threw a pick to a defensive lineman (DOUBLE YIKES).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back