Post NSD Depth Chart?

Skill positions on offense are set. O-line is totally up in the air. We can't know if the freshmen are going to be ready to play. We assume Smith is going to take a medical red shirt. We assume Richmond will transfer. What is the status of Chance Hall? Is Kennedy going to be fully recovered? Further complicating matters is several linemen play multiple positions. It's going to be interesting to see what Friend does with the O-line.

A LOT of competition was added. So much more depth. I'll give it a crack.

QB Jarret G, JT Shrout
RB Chandler, Jordan
TE D Wood-Anderson
FL Palmer, Keyton
SE Callaway, Murphy
SL Jennings, Byrd
LT Wright, Tatum
LG Morris, Carvin
C R Johnson, Kennedy
RG J Johnson, Locklear
RT Tatum, N Niehlus

DE Emerson, Butler
NT Gooden, Harris
DE Williams, Mincey
OLB Harrison, Allen
ILB Bituli, Kirkland
MLB To'oto'o, Banks
JK D Taylor, Crouch
CB Thompson, Solomon
CB Burrell, Buchanan
ST A Taylor, Thompson
NB Thompson, Fields
SS Warrior, McCullough
FS Flowers, Jackson

5 total Freshman starting with more in the two deep.
JJ Peterson will factor in much more after Kirkland, Bituli and Taylor leave.
Will Ignot will play as well.
QB will be a one of the Freshman by season's end.
That secondary has a lot of new talent. If Anthony Harris comes then look for him to play NB and FS and probably start at either.
I think this is a pretty good breakdown. I see crouch and harrison being switched. I think that Banks will be moved back to RB as a short yardage back and Ignot will start at LB over Henry T but Henry T will get playing time. I think JJP wont start but will get significant playing time and play multiple positions.

The hardest group to predict will be OLine. This will start to shake its self out over spring camp but wont be decided until fall camp. It's nice we have depth but I dont think anyone has played well enough to have a spot locked in yet which is worrisome having 0 bonafide starters.

I don’t think Jordan loses his spot to Gray this year. Honestly I wish we’d give Jordan the ball more
Yeah I’m more a fan of Tim Jordan than a lot of people are, but I’m a really really big fan of Eric Gray. Plus he’s an EE. They could’ve been 2a and 2b, truthfully

Wright and Morris may be compete studs, but I'd feel better if they weren't both starting at Tackle.

Wright and Morris may be compete studs, but I'd feel better if they weren't both starting at Tackle.
i don't think they both will be. and if one of them is, i can't see them being a starter right off the bat.

After this years OL haul, and what looks like a potential phenomenal haul next year with a lot of top OL in-state guys, this position group will quickly become a strength.

Every year we seem to have this thread. Every year the "new kids in town" are hyped and the old ones are dissed.... then the new kids become the old kids and it all happens again.

In all likelihood, UT is thin enough in places that 1-3 Fr will start. More could be starters or counted on later in the season as depth is needed. But the Vols will probably take a step back on the OL if two Fr start... not forward.

Tatum got better. He wasn't big enough but he got better. If he can bulk up without losing his feet then he'll probably be your LT. Johnson is C or OG. The rest IMO is up for grabs.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
He needs to sit down and have that conversation. In no way should the university just give up on the man that would be a cruel injustice but clearing him would be far worse.
It was pretty easy to see what you meant by "needs to be". As in, for trey's health and well being. That's the most rational takeaway.

Trey Smith not withstanding (hope he can play) I think that Kennedy is the key to this OL. If he can come back, and that's a big IF, he will provide leadership and intensity. If these freshman OL are good enough to start, then I hope we go ahead and play them early to get some experience. I still think this will be a rough year on the OL, but the future is certainly bright.

Man we are loaded at RB and WR. If that OL comes together then look out. I'm anxious to see what a difference another year of coaching will make

Trey Smith not withstanding (hope he can play) I think that Kennedy is the key to this OL. If he can come back, and that's a big IF, he will provide leadership and intensity. If these freshman OL are good enough to start, then I hope we go ahead and play them early to get some experience. I still think this will be a rough year on the OL, but the future is certainly bright.

I see Morris and Wright playing right beside each other and battling together as freshman.
Morris = Andre Smith
Wright= Cam Robinson

You don't recruit these guys to sit. Their strenght levels probably are not that far away from our current lineman. And they have the edge in talent.

Michael Munoz
Juwan James
Trey Smith were all excellent OL as freshman for TN.

These 2 new guys are in the same league.

Reactions: MadWorld
He needs to sit down and have that conversation. In no way should the university just give up on the man that would be a cruel injustice but clearing him would be far worse.
He would get a medical scholarship and be able to participate with the team. Same as Tanner Antonutti.

I think he took medical retirement. Also, these new running backs must be able to block before CJP uses them very much. Spring/Fall practice will determine that IMO.
Didn’t he graduate? Should be close.

Mauer is an EE and with a winter of S & C and then spring ball, he could compete for backup QB. JG has the experience but all will be learning Chaney’s way of running offense.

My Penny and a half.

QB. JG, all season barring injury. Shrout backing up. Maurer in redshirt protocol.
RB. Chandler, obviously. Jordan/Gray/Filse-Aime splitting time situationally.
WR. Callaway/Palmer/Jennings. Others in rotation, too many to single out.
TE. WoodsA. Lowe.
LT. Wright. Just too much talent to not be used. Calbert backing up.
LG. JJohnson. Carvin. Could be either one starting, but will edge to Johnson. You want an experienced guy next to a frosh if possible.
C. Kennedy. RJohnson.
RG. Niehaus. Lampley. Same experience issue for the frosh beside him.
RT. Morris. Akro. Although in an injury, Niehaus probably slides here until Akro gets up to speed.

Defense.

Nose. Gooden. Emerson. Simmons. I think Simmons pushes for playing time as he gets in shape.
Ends. Williams, Mincey, Middleton. Butler, Solomon if he gets waived.
OLBs. Taylor, Johnson, Harrison, Crouch. QC playing time increases as season progresses, probable starter by end.
ILB. Bituli, Kirkland, Peterson, Banks, Toot toot, Ignot. Think Peterson could take over as primary if he's got the drive. If not, HTT will overtake by season end and be in the mix.

Corners. Taylor/Thompson. Burrell/Fields next.

.05 Buchanan/Sham If Gibbs gets waiver, he's in mix and pushing for time.

Safeties. Warrior, Flowers, McCullough. Think McC pushes warrior for his spot by season end. Jackson, Beasley, Davis backing up.

Think that's it. Just wanted to put this on here, come back and check myself during the season and see what I thought and how it played out.

Reactions: FïreBall
hope the administration is not that stupid to take away his scholarship...they would be eaten alive by the media and the fanbase...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!
Will not ever happen

Mauer is an EE and with a winter of S & C and then spring ball, he could compete for backup QB. JG has the experience but all will be learning Chaney’s way of running offense.

Stay tuned...
The spot is WIDE OPEN.

Reactions: peaygolf

VN Store

Back