Post-NSD 2016 Depth Chart Projections

A lot of the guys in this class need to gain weight and strength--QB, RB, offensive tackles, etc.--and it looks like we have the depth now that a sizeable number of them can redshirt, more than in recent years. We need to start redshirting a few more freshman.

I don't see s. Jones sticking around something happened at Colorado after spring he will be on the move maybe juco or a school he can play immediately

Hubbs said he doesn't see Jones transferring again after the spring.

Would be extremely surprised if Cody Blanc is playing football for Tennessee this Fall. The rest of the depth chart looks pretty good for the most part.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Alexis Johnson will be in the 2 deep at DT and I think Berry will start at S with Gaulden at Nickel. Warrior will challenge for the starting spot at either of those positions. I would want Jack Jones starting on the OL somewhere. He and Hall showed us they can play last year. Also I think Osborne will be in the 2 deep at CB. And I think JG will edge out Jones for 3rd string, which will probably want to make him transfer again.

With another recruiting class in the books, I figured we'd go ahead and start the projected depth chart thread. All JUST MY OPINION... (I decided to do a 3-deep)-

OFFENSE:
QB- 1. Dobbs, 2. Dormady, 3. S.Jones
RB- 1. Hurd, 2. Kamara, 3. Kelly
WR- 1. P.Williams, 2. George, 3. Blanc
WR- 1. Malone, 2. Callaway, 3. C. Henderson
SLOT- 1. J.Smith, 2. Perry, 3. L.Williams
TE- 1. Wolf, 2. Croom, 3. Jk.Johnson
LT- 1. Richmond, 2. Kendrick, 3. R.Johnson
LG- 1. Robertson, 2. Mosley, 3. Stewart
C- 1. Thomas, 2. J.Jones, 3. Raulerson
RG- 1. Wiesman, 2. Boulware, 3. Sanders
RT- 1. Hall, 2. Kendrick, 3. Tatum

DEFENSE:
DE- 1. Barnett, 2. Kongbo, 3. Lewis
DT- 1. Tuttle, 2. O'Brien, 3. A.Johnson
DT- 1. McKenzie, 2. Vickers, 3. Picou
DE- 1. Vereen, 2. Phillips, 3. Taylor
WLB- 1. Reeves-Maybin, 2. Bates, 3. Sapp
MLB- 1. Kirkland, 2. Bryant, 3. Bynum
STAR- 1. McDowell, 2. A.Smith, 3. Ell.Berry
CB- 1. Sutton, 2. Abernathy, 3. Byrd
CB- 1. Martin, 2. Moseley, 3. D.Miller
S- 1. T.Kelly, 2. Jennings, 3. Griffin
S- 1. R. Gaulden, 2. Ev. Berry, 3. Warrior
NICKEL (When needed)- 1. Foreman, 2. Osborne, 3. D.Henderson

SPECIAL TEAMS:
K- 1. Medley, 2. Toser
P- 1. Daniel, 2. Townsend
LS- 1. Lovingood, 2. Bradshaw
KR- 1. Ev.Berry, 2. Abernathy
PR- 1. Sutton, 2. Kamara

Just some observations- Our secondary is ridiculous. Also, this doesn't even include some STUDS for our future, like Guarantano, Fils-Aime, Pope, Brooks, Bituli, Buchanan, etc. We finally have DEPTH. GBO.

EDIT: Sorry, originally forgot Austin Smith.
You don't see Jennings in the WR rotation ?! Regardless of where he plays, dude is a baller imo.

I think Byrd will play a lot at corner this year.

I haven't intensely followed recruiting as in past, but by looking at this kids film, he looks special....immediate contributor on special teams in the least. Jmo.

I think Alexis Johnson will be in the 2 deep at DT and I think Berry will start at S with Gaulden at Nickel. Warrior will challenge for the starting spot at either of those positions. I would want Jack Jones starting on the OL somewhere. He and Hall showed us they can play last year. Also I think Osborne will be in the 2 deep at CB. And I think JG will edge out Jones for 3rd string, which will probably want to make him transfer again.

Tuttle will be out for the spring too, so Johnson will get some much needed extra reps. He'll have every chance to get on the field.

With the way signing day shook out, I think Jennings sticks at WR. After Kelly and Berry, we've got Warrior and two guys in Byrd and Gaulden who could also play safety potentially. Our secondary will have plenty of bodies.

Jennings may have a higher ceiling at S than WR, but he still brings a lot to the table on offense and he'll have the benefit of a full offseason practicing there to improve.

If I had to pick an area of concern it's offensive tackle. Two young somewhat inexperienced guys. No one really knows what Richmond can do. I'll be interested to see who the starting tackles are between Hall, Kendrick and Richmond.

When did Jones start playing center? He could probably be listed as a 2nd team tackle or starting guard

A lot of the guys in this class need to gain weight and strength--QB, RB, offensive tackles, etc.--and it looks like we have the depth now that a sizeable number of them can redshirt, more than in recent years. We need to start redshirting a few more freshman.

I wish they all could redshirt (non Juco guys anyway). But I would expect to see some of the best athletes like Warrior and Byrd at least on special teams. And likely someone unexpected will come in and play a big role. Hopefully we will continue not to have transfers and can avoid injuries but some attrition will occur. A lot can happen between now and September.

That being said the depth this year is so critical. Think of all the games the past few years where some guys never left the field. This year should finally be different. Looking forward to a great season.

It is amazing to think after the hole on the lines that Dooley left, that depending on how Richmond performs, that the OL and DL could both be dominating. That OL is going to steamroll people next year in the running game. The DL should be one of the best in the country. I think Kongbo will get every opportunity to start opposite of Barnett.

I just can't see any way thay this defense shouldn't be top 10 in the country.

According to Ainge, Kongbo is a project.

Before signing day, I thought S. Jones would cross over to another position such as Safety, but now I don't know. Maybe he stays at QB. After next season, somebody will probably transfer from QB position.

Did the staff actually move Croom to TE or is this speculation?

Croom practiced at TE some during bowl season and some media have speculated it could be more than an experiment for him as that's where he likely projects in the NFL anyway.

I like the idea of using him as kind of a hybrid TE/WR if he shows that he can block well enough against front seven defenders. That could open up some posibilities with 2TE sets that could possibly give us an advantage passing (if teams try to defend us with 3 TEs) or running (if teams go nickel and try to sneak a DB into the box).

We know Croom has the size of a TE (according to UT's official roster, he's one inch shorter and one pound heavier than Wolf) and that he can dominate DBs in the run game. We just don't know if he can block DEs or LBs effectively. If he can, then using him at TE is a no brainer.

When did Jones start playing center? He could probably be listed as a 2nd team tackle or starting guard

Jones got some looks at center during bowl season as well. I don't know that he's necessarily moving from OG, but he could potentially be the next man up if Thomas goes down or has to slide out to OT due to injury. Our backup center will most likely be one of our top 3-4 OGs like Jones, Robertson, or Wiesman.

I'm just ready to see Croom back on the field. Whether it be at TE or our Red Zone WR. I'm fine either way. Too big of a target to not be out there. A great blocker too.

According to Ainge, Kongbo is a project.

I'm not sure he's going to be quite the force year one that many people think he will be (especially if he has to enroll later in the summer). I don't see him starting until maybe later in the season or 2017.

That being said, I think he'll absolutely be utilized for his pass rush skills one way or another. He's enough of an athletic freak that we can just line him up and let him go on 3rd and long and he should still be effective.

I'm just not so sure he holds up well enough against the run early on steal a starting spot early in the season. I think he'll eat against the spread teams on the back half of the schedule and hopefully be seasoned enough by the end of the season to be a force in Atlanta and bow/playoff season :rock:

With the way signing day shook out, I think Jennings sticks at WR. After Kelly and Berry, we've got Warrior and two guys in Byrd and Gaulden who could also play safety potentially. Our secondary will have plenty of bodies.

Jennings may have a higher ceiling at S than WR, but he still brings a lot to the table on offense and he'll have the benefit of a full offseason practicing there to improve.

JAV, who is the big insider on 247's board, has said that Jennings will be at safety this coming year and he is already preparing for that. I don't think I have seen him be wrong about anything yet.

JAV, who is the big insider on 247's board, has said that Jennings will be at safety this coming year and he is already preparing for that. I don't think I have seen him be wrong about anything yet.

This would be outstanding. Dude loves to smack folks. Give me that at safety and heads will roll.

I hadn't heard any of that. FTR, what was the timing on that?

My thinking is that with the addition of Byrd and Warrior, the fact that Shoop likes to use less nickel looks than Jancek did, and Gaulden finally being healthy that it might not be so necessary to move Jennings now. But I have no sources or anything like that. Just speculating.

VN Store

Back