Post game thoughts

Agree, and I think the cookie doesn't crumble like this most days, but TODAY was too big for Hooker. Great QB, but he didn't show up today.
That early miss on Hyatt when he fell over the red out of bounds was telling. The reads and then the accuracy had to be perfect. And they rarely were. We had the ball plenty of times and couldn't get anything going. That was impressive by Georgia. Made us look like Oregon.

Huepel is a A+ coach, working with a roster that has good players but not elite players

I consider this loss to UGA a moral victory since the game was a lot worse than what the score showed... this will pay off a month from now when we are in the playoff discussion

UGA, just awesome in every category, every position, etc. Absolutely 0 debate in that and I will admit greatness when I see it. I personally hope if we make the playoffs (which is still very plausible), we don't face Georgia.

If you would have told me in September that Tennessee would finished the season 11-1, I would have called insane, laughed in your face and muted you. The development in year 2 under Huepel is surreal. Rome isn't built in a day but Huepel has almost made it appear as so

Georgia has had top 5 classes year after year, our last one was 7 years ago.

For us to lose by only two TD's to a team like that is very respectable.

There's only so much scheming you can do until it comes down to raw talent and this is what happened tonight

This is the same roster that lost 30+ players to the transfer portal not too long ago
We haven’t finished 11-1. We’re def much better than anyone thought this year but we need to stop with thinking we can just go out and automatically win.

Reactions: knox73
No, I agree they do, but I don't think we were greatly overmatched is what I was saying.
Merely being overmatched is enough when you're talking about the best roster in college football. We knocked out guys on there defense and they simply rolled in another kid who smothered us. Execution begins to fade in the face of greater competition. We saw just that today.

We played a great team full of 5 star talent. We have a great coach. It was a great game plan, we just didn’t execute when we needed to. Too many wasted trips to the red zone. Everyone is bagging on Banks…tbh the way our offense has been performing if you had told me yesterday that we would hold Georgia to 27 points I would’ve thought that we won the game. We will be fine.

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and TN1111
So, when Hyatt, and Tillman are too draft picks and Wright is a first round pick, are we still going to talk about lack of talent??

Yes, because it's simply fact against the best team in the country we just lost to. Heupel's offensive scheme and WR talent has allowed us to bombard teams and put teams in desperation mode, while compensating for our defensive backfield deficiencies and general lack of depth. Not tonight. If Bama had been an away game, it's probably a loss.

We need better talent overall to be consistently championship competitive. We're now in a good position to recruit that level because of CJH.

Reactions: TN1111
Merely being overmatched is enough when you're talking about the best roster in college football. We knocked out guys on there defense and they simply rolled in another kid who smothered us. Execution begins to fade in the face of greater competition. We saw just that today.
We've lived by the explosive plays all year long. Several solid runs, throw deep. Georgia simply shut down the deep ball playing man to man with no zone softness. That meant their dline could sell out on the run and that's what they did. Looking at Hookers career,I don't think he ever played against a press coverage like that with athletes that good. All of his sacks, knock downs, and flushes we're all due to coverage. Once they got in his head, he just looked confused and indecisive.

Georgia is a really good team, but that secondary set up the defense for the entire game.

I do look forward to having their depth in the near future.

We played a great team full of 5 star talent. We have a great coach. It was a great game plan, we just didn’t execute when we needed to. Too many wasted trips to the red zone. Everyone is bagging on Banks…tbh the way our offense has been performing if you had told me yesterday that we would hold Georgia to 27 points I would’ve thought that we won the game. We will be fine.[/QUOTE
Good take. Agree 100%

Reactions: rocketskates
Crowd really bothered us and playing against a great defense. As Heupel said after the game this was a great learning opportunity and we will be better each game as the season plays out

Reactions: Sarms58
I think about 90% of the negatives some are casting on our offensive effort today are really due to playing a significantly superior defense. Georgia had the talent to effectively take away pretty much everything we wanted to do. It wasn’t that we sucked today or Hooker had a bad game - it was because Georgia has an elite defense.

Reactions: jackaro
No such thing as a moral victory anymore.

we got beat by a better team today.

No shame in that. But I never want to hear “moral victory” again.

VN Store

Back