Post-game dining options

PittBoss

Hi all - Pitt fan here, pressing issue on my mind regarding the game this week - where am I going to eat after the game?

A friend suggested Calhoun's on the River and the menu looks good. But realistically, will I be able to get seated there after a game? I don't mind waiting a bit for a table, but with 80-100k people roaming the streets, is this one of those "forget about it" places?

If not there, any suggestion where to go after the game for a fairly quick bite that is not fast food? I am willing to wait 30-40 minutes or so to be seated, but it is a long drive back to PA. I am parking at Locust St garage (if that helps knowing my foot path) and then heading on I40 East in car if there a suggestion no too far out of town on the driving route.

Thanks for any info and good luck this week & this season!

Market Square in downtown has a number of places and not far from Locust Street garage. Restaurants are close together so put your name in a few places (Tupelo Honey, Soccer Taco, Tomato Heads, Not Watsons are all close by) and eat at the first one that calls/texts you that your table is ready. But you're probably looking at 30+ minutes.

Just thought of another place, Dazzos pizza on Gay St in downtown. It's a little off the beaten path so not crowded but good pizza and you could always get it to go and walk down to Market Square and eat at one of the tables/benches there.

Last edited:
If they haven't changed it, I believe Calhoun's has a spot in Neyland. If you're just wanting good BBQ.

Dead End is a good choice, too. I suggest the Mac Attack.

Hi all - Pitt fan here, pressing issue on my mind regarding the game this week - where am I going to eat after the game?

A friend suggested Calhoun's on the River and the menu looks good. But realistically, will I be able to get seated there after a game? I don't mind waiting a bit for a table, but with 80-100k people roaming the streets, is this one of those "forget about it" places?

If not there, any suggestion where to go after the game for a fairly quick bite that is not fast food? I am willing to wait 30-40 minutes or so to be seated, but it is a long drive back to PA. I am parking at Locust St garage (if that helps knowing my foot path) and then heading on I40 East in car if there a suggestion no too far out of town on the driving route.

Calhoun’s is basically an Applebee’s with a good location. Head up to one of the restaurants in Market Square.

I have reservations at Chesapeake's. Not sure about wait times without.
They are more known for Seafood, but have lots of options.
A bit more upscale than the others mentioned. (White table cloths, but it will be full of game day attire.)
Market Square is a neat venue with numerous options and people watching (aka sitting around judging people as they walk by)

Not sure about the logistics of where you're traveling from but I always stop somewhere in Pigeon Forge to avoid the huge crowds.

Calhoun’s is basically an Applebee’s with a good location. Head up to one of the restaurants in Market Square.
I know what you mean but Applebee's might be a bit unfair.

My wife used to work for a commercial kitchen design company and said the Applebee's they did always had something like 8 microwaves compared to every other restaurant that had maybe 2 or 3 at most.

I know what you mean but Applebee's might be a bit unfair.

My wife used to work for a commercial kitchen design company and said the Applebee's they did always had something like 8 microwaves compared to every other restaurant that had maybe 2 or 3 at most.
I’ve just always thought it felt like one of those type restaurants even though some people think it’s iconic. To me, there are just a lot of better options.

Thank you for giving Johnny Majors a second chance. The older Vols crowd will always appreciate your making that decision.

The Vols stable in fairly empty these days. Best of luck!

Reactions: ArdentVol
I recommend a few other options other than the good ones mentioned all within easy walking distance:

Blackhorse Cafe On Gay Street. Flat bread pizza is good. Wash it down with a Blackhorse Vanilla Cream Ale.

Chivo Taqueria on Gay Street. My favorite downtown eatery. Great menu including craft tacos, guacamole/chips, great roasted brussel sprouts, street corn.

Market Square has many good choices as mentioned. Don’t overlook Stock and Barrel for a burger and Cafe 4 for a variety.

And do yourself a favor before you head back to your car….stop in to Cruze Farm (Gay Street) and get some of the Worlds Best ice cream. You’ll likely have never tasted any ice cream as good as Cruze Farm.

VN Store

Back