Possible win loss for vols

I thought when we came close to beating USC and then beat KY last year that we might win 7 games. BUT we ran out of gas down the stretch and fell short of what we should have done. I think this year there are more contributors and our strength and conditioning are better. We should not fade down the stretch. I think we win 8 games this year and lose to AL, GA, FL and Mizzou. I might even get Mizzou depending on injuries to both teams.

You do that, but if we lose I'm gonna find this post and take my like back. :)
Damn! Ummm ... ok .. I just think Florida is probably the most overhyped team I have seen in recent memory. They beat a bad Idaho team, a bad FSU team and a Mich team missing a lot of players and acted like it. All this after getting SMOKED by Mizzou. Franks is at best a serviceable QB, Grantham is awful, and they lost a ton in the LOSs.

Damn! Ummm ... ok .. I just think Florida is probably the most overhyped team I have seen in recent memory. They beat a bad Idaho team, a bad FSU team and a Mich team missing a lot of players and acted like it. All this after getting SMOKED by Mizzou. Franks is at best a serviceable QB, Grantham is awful, and they lost a ton in the LOSs.

I won't go full on KB but there is truth in we usually find a way to lose to Florida. Its not a guarantee iron clad loss for sure, but I'm not predicting a win either.

Obviously I hope you get to say "I told ya so".

Reactions: KBVol
247 Sports has this outlook:

"It'll take a bowl victory, but the Vols will finish 9-4 during Jeremy Pruitt's second season and all will be well in Knoxville. We'll know if a better-than-expected finish for Tennessee is feasible heading into the Georgia game on Oct. 5 after a bye post-Florida. There will be extreme optimism and buzz if Pruitt's team goes into Gainesville and beats the Gators in their SEC opener after three straight victories at home. The offense should be much-improved under Jim Chaney if there's solid play up front and Tennessee likes its starting 11 on defense. Depth could be an issue with any significant injuries, but I'll roll the dice here and says the Vols only lose to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and either Mississippi State or Mizzou during the regular season. "

Sure, it's possible but I believe our Vols are going to make most games exciting, close, cardiac, and for once has luck and officiating slightly in our favor for 2019. We will see strange sights and implausible but pleasant wonders.

iu

Reactions: Nickoli
247 Sports has this outlook:

"It'll take a bowl victory, but the Vols will finish 9-4 during Jeremy Pruitt's second season and all will be well in Knoxville. We'll know if a better-than-expected finish for Tennessee is feasible heading into the Georgia game on Oct. 5 after a bye post-Florida. There will be extreme optimism and buzz if Pruitt's team goes into Gainesville and beats the Gators in their SEC opener after three straight victories at home. The offense should be much-improved under Jim Chaney if there's solid play up front and Tennessee likes its starting 11 on defense. Depth could be an issue with any significant injuries, but I'll roll the dice here and says the Vols only lose to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and either Mississippi State or Mizzou during the regular season. "

Sure, it's possible but I believe our Vols are going to make most games exciting, close, cardiac, and for once has luck and officiating slightly in our favor for 2019. We will see strange sights and implausible but pleasant wonders.

iu
I think the play of Missouri’s transfer QB is a key element here.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodsmanVol

You could be right, but for the wrong reasons. We lost to Mizzou because we were playing with third string secondary and Locke is an elite QB. This year we get back Marco Wilson and hopefully keep a healthy CJ Henderson, and the backfield will be locked. FSU was trash I agree. Michigan was still a very good team despite the lost players, and it was 41-15, so it was a convincing win no matter how you spin it. No body seemed to make excuses for us when we lost to them in the 2017 opener just after 9 players got suspended on our end, including Scarlet.

The real problem is we are practically replacing both lines of scrimmage this year, especially the OL. Hevesy is a good developer, but it is hard to replace almost an entire line of scrimmage and hope to compete at a high level in the SEC without some drop off. I definitely think Florida is overrated at this point. Won't take long to find out as we are opening against Miami, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a drop in our production this year.

81964820.jpg

.......but seriously, I think we still lose it this year, especially because it is in gaysville.........however, I think it will be much closer than people will think going into it. The team should be on a 3 game win streak and hopefully playing hard and starting to gel well together by then. But, this is why we play the game!!!! Been watching college football for 30+ years and the season never plays out as preseason predictions suggest. Hopefully Florida has some inner turmoil as possibly suggested by their transfer portal and they just implode!!! I'm sold much more on Pruitt than I am Mullen, and this is Pruitts first head coaching job so...................I wouldnt be upset if Florida is still in a hole and looking for another coach in about 3 years. Especially if we take off and we're pounding them for several years in a row.
I’m not more sold on Pruitt than Mullen yet as Mullen has a better resume but I am sold on Pruitt and we will see how he compares to Mullen over these next few years. I do feel good about it but also believe Mullen is one of the better SEC coaches.

Reactions: 08Vol and NATHAN05
You could be right, but for the wrong reasons. We lost to Mizzou because we were playing with third string secondary and Locke is an elite QB. This year we get back Marco Wilson and hopefully keep a healthy CJ Henderson, and the backfield will be locked. FSU was trash I agree. Michigan was still a very good team despite the lost players, and it was 41-15, so it was a convincing win no matter how you spin it. No body seemed to make excuses for us when we lost to them in the 2017 opener just after 9 players got suspended on our end, including Scarlet.

The real problem is we are practically replacing both lines of scrimmage this year, especially the OL. Hevesy is a good developer, but it is hard to replace almost an entire line of scrimmage and hope to compete at a high level in the SEC without some drop off. I definitely think Florida is overrated at this point. Won't take long to find out as we are opening against Miami, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a drop in our production this year.
FB_IMG_1561462697526.jpg

Depth on both lines has to be a concern at this point. No SEC team is excited about playing UFs secondary but depth there could be an issue as well with some of he offseason shenanigans. Will tell you though like we told Louisville fans a few years back, Grantham seems good in year one, but the longer he is there, you start to realize he is pretty good with other people's recruits but loses his luster in years 2 and 3 and so on ..

Reactions: Gatornator
Looking at the schedule, I see that we should get 6 wins pretty easily...due to weaker ooc and big loss of talent at KY and Misery. I think we go 6-6 because we are still rebuilding and young somehow...

The schedule favors us this year. If this were Pruitt Y3, I would think we were going 10-2 but more likely 8-4 by beating KY. We could go crazy and maybe beat Mizzu since we have a bye week and should be humming by then. Only ones on there that are probably a sure L are Bubbas, GA and maybe FL.

IF (and admittedly its a very big IF) Pruitt takes this team to a 9-3 season (and maybe pulls out a bowl win for a 10 win season) he should be in serious contention for CotY. It isnt totally crazy to imagine this tho, considering the schedule.

Yeah if we go 9-3 or better, CJP is in line for a handsome raise/extension. 8-4 small raise.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Nothing crazy about beating Florida
When few are picking UT to win that game, it's in Gainesville and UT has only one 1 in over a decade, it's a little crazy but that is ok with me because I think Florida is this year's trendy USCe type of pick.

6 Wins
4 Toss Ups: FL, SC, MO, MS
2 Loss: AL GA

If Florida is a toss-up, so is Georgia. Y’all gotta stop listening to Finebaum, etc about Georgia being this Bama/Clemson-like behemoth. UT played Georgia tough last year, UT gets them at home this year, they have major issues at WR, questions on the DL, and may as well have two dudes from this board as their back-up QB’s behind Fromm.

They got shredded at LSU last year, choked-away another game against Bama, and got embarrassed by Texas. And most importantly, Tennessee did the rest of the SEC a favor by snagging Chaney. I think we all agree Chaney will make UT better, and if you believe that, you gotta take it a step further and say losing him hurts Georgia, because they didn’t exactly hire Josh McDaniels or Kyle Shanahan to replace him.

I think UT stands a much better chance of beating Georgia than Florida.

Reactions: Woke

Florida is not good. Tennessee has an advantage at almost every position. They historically play well in Gainesville too

meh. hardly even worth trying to pick the games we'll win/lose, but if you are looking at the schedule, i think it breaks down like this:
4 OOC wins
2 SEC losses (bama/UGA)

and then 6 other games that we should be competitive in/have a shot at winning. win 3 or 4 of those.

go to a bowl, sign a great class, and wgwtfa in 20/21.....
peace.

Depth on both lines has to be a concern at this point. No SEC team is excited about playing UFs secondary but depth there could be an issue as well with some of he offseason shenanigans. Will tell you though like we told Louisville fans a few years back, Grantham seems good in year one, but the longer he is there, you start to realize he is pretty good with other people's recruits but loses his luster in years 2 and 3 and so on ..

Correct on the o-line, wrong everywhere else. Depth on the d-line is not an issue, in fact, that position along with WR is the deepest on the team. DE, you’ve got Jabari Zuniga, Jon Greenard, Zach Carter, Jeremiah Moon. Interior DL you’ve got Adam Shuler, Kyree Campbell, Tedarrel Slaton, Elijah Conliffe, Luke Ancrum, Marlon Dunlap. That’s just dudes with lots of starts and/or playing time. When you add in redshirt and incoming freshmen, you add another 5/6 players at those spots.

And you also read too many FSU and Miami Twitter idiots regarding depth in UF’s secondary. Florida is loaded at CB with Marco, CJ and Dean. They’ve got experienced backups in McWilliams and Edwards although both got some serious baptism by fire last year when they were thrown in v UGA and Missouri, and they’ve got three highly-touted incoming freshmen in Kaiir Elam, Jaydon Hill and Chester Kimbrough. At safety, four guys who have played a ton; Brad Stewart, Jawan Taylor, Donovan Stiner and Shawn Davis. You’ve also got John Huggins who coaches raved about all spring, had a 80-yard pick-6 during spring game, who looks to be a safety or a nickel. Loaded.

Lastly, Grantham inherited a defense ranked 69th in total defense, which was the worst Florida defense I can remember in 30 years, and moved it to 28th. I was thrilled with UF’s defensive improvement under Grantham.

Georgia State - W
BYU - W
Chattanooga - W
Florida - L
Georgia - W
Miss State - L
Bama - L
So Car - L
UAB - W
Kentucky - W
Missouri - L
Vandy - W

7-5, highlight win over Georgia.

Florida is not good. Tennessee has an advantage at almost every position. They historically play well in Gainesville too

And because the perception is that Georgia is good, it’s impossible that Florida may be good too. Apparently, there’s some sort of rule against Florida and Georgia both being really good at the same time.

VN Store

Back