Portal Strategies

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
The combo of the portal, one-time transfer rule, and NIL represent an opportunity for struggling programs with good facilities and fanbases to jump back to contender status.

I'm sure there are many strategies being developed by staffs across the country to gain competitive advantage. Are there any that you've heard of that you think would be highly successful or do you have any of your own ideas?

Listening to the 247 podcast on my drive home I was kind of running things through my head. It seems to me that you can't abandon high schoolers, and I think at least 2/3 of each recruiting class should still be from the HS ranks. BUT as we recruit HS'ers we need to plant a seed for any recruits that we don't land that we are still interested in them through the portal in the future.

Back to the portal strategy, I would double down our analysts on guys in the portal that have only used one year of eligibility. Give special attention to such players anywhere there has been coaching changes or a dysfunctional environment. I would recruit this demographic with the same intensity as high school recruits.

1. I think this would get us high quality transfers - the program was the problem, not the player.
2. We still get 3 years out of them AND they've already burned their one-time transfer. They would be less likely to transfer out than a player signed straight out of HS.

If you can find the talent out there, I think this is the most valuable demographic in the Portal.

You could also do some "preportal" evaluations and have your current players encourage the targets to jump into the portal where relationships exist.

Thoughts?

Hornblower landed a portal 4 star bama LB.
I have hope for new coach to do well.
As in life, it comes down to getting the best deal $$$.

The combo of the portal, one-time transfer rule, and NIL represent an opportunity for struggling programs with good facilities and fanbases to jump back to contender status.

I'm sure there are many strategies being developed by staffs across the country to gain competitive advantage. Are there any that you've heard of that you think would be highly successful or do you have any of your own ideas?

Listening to the 247 podcast on my drive home I was kind of running things through my head. It seems to me that you can't abandon high schoolers, and I think at least 2/3 of each recruiting class should still be from the HS ranks. BUT as we recruit HS'ers we need to plant a seed for any recruits that we don't land that we are still interested in them through the portal in the future.

Back to the portal strategy, I would double down our analysts on guys in the portal that have only used one year of eligibility. Give special attention to such players anywhere there has been coaching changes or a dysfunctional environment. I would recruit this demographic with the same intensity as high school recruits.

1. I think this would get us high quality transfers - the program was the problem, not the player.
2. We still get 3 years out of them AND they've already burned their one-time transfer. They would be less likely to transfer out than a player signed straight out of HS.

If you can find the talent out there, I think this is the most valuable demographic in the Portal.

You could also do some "preportal" evaluations and have your current players encourage the targets to jump into the portal where relationships exist.

Thoughts?
The problem is the program not the player? Not sure you’ll convince me on that one.

Secondly, Bama, Georgia and Ohio State will get the pick of the transfers. In our position we’re still dealing with the leftovers.

Reactions: SpendToWinVol
I agree with this. I looked back over the past 4 years, looking at the top 10 recruits from our state, an average of 5 of the top 10 have transferred away from their original school, or are currently in the portal.

In some cases, could you blame anyone for leaving UT under Pruitt, Butch, it Dooley?

Had this door been open in the past? You could easily include every coach after Neyland. I do not include him, because had that door been open, I doubt we would have remained the HC. From what I have read of him, I cannot imagine him tolerating this type of thing.

Portal Strategy = Get better Quality Players OUT of the portal than those players leaving that are getting INTO the portal.

The legends are true !! Rico's time is NOW!!

Reactions: LittleVol
The problem is the program not the player? Not sure you’ll convince me on that one.

Secondly, Bama, Georgia and Ohio State will get the pick of the transfers. In our position we’re still dealing with the leftovers.
By the numbers - there are a lot more 4 and 5 star players than an alabama or georgia or ohio state can fit into their allotted scholarship amounts. Tennessee is a storied program with top 5 facilities - they win - they get more players - offensively everyone wants to play in an offense like this - defensively - we will see but we have Rodney garner and that is a lot

By the numbers - there are a lot more 4 and 5 star players than an alabama or georgia or ohio state can fit into their allotted scholarship amounts. Tennessee is a storied program with top 5 facilities - they win - they get more players - offensively everyone wants to play in an offense like this - defensively - we will see but we have Rodney garner and that is a lot
They still get the first picks from the portal based on their track record. There aren’t that many 4 and 5 stars leaving other programs via the portal. Hence my original statement we get the leftovers

How about the opportunity the Supreme Court has given us. We can get a leg up on all other programs by being the first to pay players. It’s going to happen. Might as well get the advantage of being the first. That is a sure fire strategy. Quick beating around the bush

How about the opportunity the Supreme Court has given us. We can get a leg up on all other programs by being the first to pay players. It’s going to happen. Might as well get the advantage of being the first. That is a sure fire strategy. Quick beating around the bush

Donating to the University should have some tax incentives, while NIL wouldn’t.

VN Store

Back