Portal recruiting - there are no rules

College football assistant coach says

" He admitted that schools actively recruit in secret before players exit their original programs and put their name in the transfer pool. "

I wasn’t aware it was a secret that coaches recruited players on other teams.

Reactions: tnutater
It’ll be interesting in the next 5 years when the stories of how entering the portal ended a lot of players playing days start coming out. There’s a lot of backups on bad teams that are entering thinking higher of themselves than what the market thinks. a lot of those same schools aren’t gonna want that kid back since he’s already showed he thinks he’s better than he is and is too good to sit and learn and earn their shot. Low-mid teir teams and coaches aren’t gonna want to risk that ego ruining their locker room.

It was a secret to the NCAA and the SEC. That used to be a major violation. It probably still should be.

seems like it should be more of an announcement rather than an admission.

It might be a good thing. If a coach says one thing to get a recruit, but then once the recruit is on campus it’s another story, this might be a good thing for the recruits.

Not even close to the average.
Sure ,their 4&5 star 3rd string can go and start on 80% of teams , not surprised they all have new teams
Yea and bummer culled bottom 12 on their roster and picked up the top three portal transfers - hope ya see what is happening here.

Not even close to the average.
Sure ,their 4&5 star 3rd string can go and start on 80% of teams , not surprised they all have new teams

You know I hear this about Bama about the 4 & 5 stars 3 deep but they have been spewing the excuse for loss to UGA of losing 2 starters and their depth was inadequate. So their fan base says they have no all-star depth 2 deep but everybody else says their 3 deep could start for 80% of teams.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Yea and bummer culled bottom 12 on their roster and picked up the top three portal transfers - hope ya see what is happening here.
The top 3 portal transfers are Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, and Jaxson Dart. I wasn't aware that all 3 signed with Bama. In fact it shows Bama 11th in portal transfer signing. Though they can change
You know I hear this about Bama about the 4 & 5 stars 3 deep but they have been spewing the excuse for loss to UGA of losing 2 starters and their depth was inadequate. So their fan base says they have no all-star depth 2 deep but everybody else says their 3 deep could start for 80% of teams.
Bama had 5 starters out and was playing 4 true freshmen. Yet they gave GA all they wanted. Sadly both couldn't lose.

Aren't the top 3 portal transfers Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, and Jaxson Dart? I wasnt aware they had all signed with Bama. In fact it shows Bama 11th in portal signings. Plenty of time left though and that could change.

Their fan base has a mental breakdown every time they lose

The top 3 portal transfers are Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, and Jaxson Dart. I wasn't aware that all 3 signed with Bama. In fact it shows Bama 11th in portal transfer signing. Though they can change

Bama had 5 starters out and was playing 4 true freshmen. Yet they gave GA all they wanted. Sadly both couldn't lose.
They were without their top two wr’s - we were without our top cb - how did that work out for us?

You don’t necessarily miss some players but being down your top two wr’s that are probably first round nfl caliber athletes - makes a huge difference.

Reactions: stillavol
Aren't the top 3 portal transfers Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, and Jaxson Dart? I wasnt aware they had all signed with Bama. In fact it shows Bama 11th in portal signings. Plenty of time left though and that could change.
Bama cherry picks who they want - they don’t need a whole roster - just 3 or 4 guys - that’s why they are 12th in the portal.

Haven’t seen the rankings but assume Texas, Southern Cal are high up there.
Ole Miss probably moving up, Oklahoma a winner and a loser.

Reactions: stillavol
They were without their top two wr’s - we were without our top cb - how did that work out for us?

You don’t necessarily miss some players but being down your top two wr’s that are probably first round nfl caliber athletes - makes a huge difference.
They were also down with 2 CB's and an OL. Plus playing 4 true freshmen. Yet they gave the Dawgs all they wanted!

Bama cherry picks who they want - they don’t need a whole roster - just 3 or 4 guys - that’s why they are 12th in the portal.

What concerns me is LSU and Florida using the portal so successfully. New coaching staff and both teams had losing records last year. That doesnt translate to wins though. It looks like Napier may be a great recruiter. I read that Florida is getting visits from almost all the top unsigned prospects. They may not sign with him as he's yet to prove himself (but the fact he accomplished this while only being on the job about a month makes one wonder). Regardless GBO!!

What concerns me is LSU and Florida using the portal so successfully. New coaching staff and both teams had losing records last year. That doesnt translate to wins though. It looks like Napier may be a great recruiter. I read that Florida is getting visits from almost all the top unsigned prospects. They may not sign with him as he's yet to prove himself (but the fact he accomplished this while only being on the job about a month makes one wonder). Regardless GBO!!
Yep - we seem to be largely sitting on our hands. Not sure what is going on regarding the portal.

Well those stats are surprising. I would have never thought that so many had no home when entering. So is this saying 636 are just sitting waiting on someone to offer them a new home. Maybe they are too embarrassed to remove themselves or the team they were on doesn't want them back after they entered. That should be a wake up call for a lot of recruits.
Basically the portal is mostly made up of players the coaches have said “you don’t have to leave, you just can’t stay here” to. Jk, you gotta go

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

Bama already has 4-5 stars lined up at almost every position. When they lose someone, they seldom have to play a play that everyone else in the SEC tried to recruit

LSU still has Top 5 talent, they have just criminally underachieved since winning the natty. Kelly will change that. He's a good coach.

It’ll be interesting in the next 5 years when the stories of how entering the portal ended a lot of players playing days start coming out. There’s a lot of backups on bad teams that are entering thinking higher of themselves than what the market thinks. a lot of those same schools aren’t gonna want that kid back since he’s already showed he thinks he’s better than he is and is too good to sit and learn and earn their shot. Low-mid teir teams and coaches aren’t gonna want to risk that ego ruining their locker room.

Hmm. Kids with an Antonio Brown syndrome. I wouldn't any at the UT. But I think big time conference teams will sort of operate a bonus system where NIL money for performance dictates which transferees they get and whether they stay. Mercenary players, as it were. The worst is yet to come.

LSU still has Top 5 talent, they have just criminally underachieved since winning the natty. Kelly will change that. He's a good coach.
They haven't underachieved that much considering they lost every single player they had after the championship

They had no continuity

VN Store

Back