Portal Madness

I don't blame them. Have you ever been in that part of Ark (or for that matter many part) for very long. Nice quiet place Ark. (whole lot like my west Tn.) If I were there for what would be 3-4 years of hard work and having to endure Ark., hell I would try to leave too!!
my family lives over in adamsville lol. pickwick summers aren't that bad :)

Paradigm shift, just another part of the current social world that's completely different from few years ago, for me.
Certainly not doom & gloom:) but certainly amazing in contrast.

The portal chaos will smooth out to some compromise eventually, I think.

Probably never be the same.

If you think this kind of rampant crap can't happen to us again in the near future, then you are kidding yourself. There is nothing about how this is currently set up that is good for college football, long term.

I'm thinking the much maligned NCAA (some of it deserved) will get the last laugh in all of this.

The old "I told ya so."

That kind of movement, after that kind of season, smells of some rampant rumor going through the team.

Is someone telling them that their coach is soon to take another job, and getting in the portal now is the best way to follow him?

Or is some slickster telling them he can get them/their families big NIL bucks.
Heck, maybe they're just trotline fishing... putting their bait out there to see if there's a big NIL catfish nibbling when they check it in the morning.
Call em what they are: AGENTS
I still maintain that any SEC starting level talent that enters the portal already has the new deal in place.
Those that think the portal is the WALMART of college football where a team can be purchased are mistaken. The Vol fanatics that think New Coach can prop up our roster from "hitting the portal hard" are delusional. Agents shop the top players to all schools and just like high school recruiting the best offer takes the prize. This is Pro ball now.

I just read where 1,480 players went into the portal this year. Geez.

Yeah, it is crazy. If the portal were a strip club? There must have all the best girls in town. And the bartender is mixing up some damn good drinks.

If you ever trout fished in the Ozarks you might change your mind. Much like East Tennessee

Is it still good? Have not been in years, but some said it was not all that good anymore. Guess they don't know what they were doing.

Seems odd to me. Doing very well there and Pittman seems like a great guy to have as coach.
Get used to it. I’m thinking we’ll see our share of this starting next season, after the fun and newness of Heupel, wears off with some of these guys. The sad part is you’re going to have fringe players chasing money and then being left out in the cold when the offers do t match their egos.
GBO!!

The truth is the vast majority will never land in P5 or even G5 schools, pissing away free education and fun life chasing a dream and ignoring reality. Most will never be heard of again and will not reap the benefits from graduating/staying at a school. Look at how many VFLs never made the NFL or stayed long that are now employed, businessmen, etc in and around Knoxville. Most of these transfer guys will never have that.

I'm thinking the much maligned NCAA (some of it deserved) will get the last laugh in all of this.

The old "I told ya so."

Was thinking the same. While the NCAA needed to back off on the student athlete and adapt to changing times, opening the gate with no metering system in place was foolish. I've said before, I don't see how the NCAA, at the behest of schools and/or conferences, doesn't start to implement some measures to reel this back in somewhat in an effort to make this whole process more orderly.

Reactions: Doberman
Probably different for each person.

I would be interested to know how portal transfers compare to transfers by non-athletes. I transferred after a year and a half. The school I went to was simply not the right fit for me. I was miserable.
The % of freshman kids that graduate from a given college are usually around 50%. That breakdown is typically 35-40% transfer, 10-15% quit flunk/out.

Reactions: sjt18
The NCAA will have to set dates for going in and out of this portal and have those associated with the football seasons. Teams will be pressed to manage rosters and depth charts with guys moving around all throughout the year. Wait until spring when another 10-20 percent jump ship from all the teams. With the rules in place as they stand, most teams will lose more players than they can take in leaving many without a seat at the table.

Reactions: Lovnrockytop
Why do we keep seeing posts asking if some bench warmer is entering the portal for "NIL money"? Is it this bad on the paid board? Maybe I need to stop being so cheap.

If you ever trout fished in the Ozarks you might change your mind. Much like East Tennessee

Used to have to travel out there. Northern portion is gorgeous. A buddy and I camped out in the bed of the Buffalo River in the back of my Ridgeline under the stars once. About 3 months later the news reported 30 campers drowned in that.same area. A giant storm on the west end of state was so much water that the river flash flooded for miles and miles and swept everyone away in the riverbed even though it wasn't raining on the east end. Horrible. Won't be doing that I'll advised scheme any more.

Place is gorgeous up north in the Ozarks.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Why do we keep seeing posts asking if some bench warmer is entering the portal for "NIL money"? Is it this bad on the paid board? Maybe I need to stop being so cheap.

Head over to the RF. You sound as highfalutin as many of them who come down and grace us with their presence.

Reactions: Doberman
I mentioned early on when the portal was first introduced one of the many skills a coach would have to have is re-recruiting the team he has in place. Coaches are going to have to really sell young men on sticking around and have a plan for them seeing playing time to keep them. Otherwise that power has shifted to the players going where they're going to play as early as possible. A youngster sitting around for a couple of years waiting his chance will not happen for top players.

I mentioned early on when the portal was first introduced one of the many skills a coach would have to have is re-recruiting the team he has in place. Coaches are going to have to really sell young men on sticking around and have a plan for them seeing playing time to keep them. Otherwise that power has shifted to the players going where they're going to play as early as possible. A youngster sitting around for a couple of years waiting his chance will not happen for top players.
Are any of these verified good players? I confess I know little about Arkansas's roster. With the exception of the McDonald's bag guys who likely had to leave most of the players who leave us are usually kind of meh. Same with Georgia and Florida and most of our other regular foes with whom I am more familiar. There are a few difference makers in the Portal it seems, but a whole lot more guys who just couldn't hack it wherever they were.

I don't blame them. Have you ever been in that part of Ark (or for that matter many part) for very long. Nice quiet place Ark. (whole lot like my west Tn.) If I were there for what would be 3-4 years of hard work and having to endure Ark., hell I would try to leave too!!
I disagree about NW Ark....that area is far more like E.Tn with the Ozarks, etc.....W.Tenn is more similar to East Ark. with their bordering of the delta & Miss river.....

I have....I happened to love the Ozarks and nothing about that area reminds me of West TN.

Arkansas who had a great season but is Arkansas -- seems to have half the team in the portal. Going to be interesting where some of these guys land.

DB Joe Foucha

DB Nick Turner

DB Devin Bush

DB Jermaine Hamilton-Jordan

DL Andy Boykin

DL Solomon Wright

LB J.T. Towers

RB Trelon Smith

RB Josh Oglesby

OL Ray Curry

OL Jalen St. John (later removed name from portal)

WR Darin Turner

WR Kendall Catalon

K Vito Calvaruso

K/P Matthew Phillips

I would assume better teams are contacting their best players and offering big NIL deals. It’s free agency now. Coaches have to rerecruit the entire roster.

It’s happened to us, too.

Reactions: Lovnrockytop
Used to have to travel out there. Northern portion is gorgeous. A buddy and I camped out in the bed of the Buffalo River in the back of my Ridgeline under the stars once. About 3 months later the news reported 30 campers drowned in that.same area. A giant storm on the west end of state was so much water that the river flash flooded for miles and miles and swept everyone away in the riverbed even though it wasn't raining on the east end. Horrible. Won't be doing that I'll advised scheme any more.

Place is gorgeous up north in the Ozarks.
Spent almost a week camping on the Buffalo last year. It's water level is very dependent on rainfall. Definitely have to keep an eye on the weather upstream.

VN Store

Back