Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

Jac Caglinone does this every Sunday. Once he’s removed as the starting pitcher he stays in the lineup as the DH batting for whoever takes his spot on the mound. They start off batting 9 positional players then move to 8 positional players and “insert” a DH (i.e. Cags).
Good example. It had to be a shot to Amick’s ego to be removed in the middle of an inning considering the potential downside of the move.

So many people think they can be bigots, then call others “snowflakes” or “soft,” when they’re called out. As if being kind and thoughtful of others is somehow the bad position of the two. They completely miss the irony (hypocrisy) of calling others snowflakes while whining about the modern world expecting them to be decent and what a burden that is.

Yes, it’s wrong to use that word. I’ve used it in the past, but now I know better, so I don’t. It really can be that simple. Just takes being an empathetic adult.

I used the word as a kid in the '80s and maybe into the '90s. It was part of the common 'playground vocabulary'. I cannot remember the where and when of being introduced to the perspective of the word being a slur about special people. I removed it from my vocabulary and now consider it the 'R-word'. I cringe every time I see someone take a group of people they don't like and attach "tarded" or "tard" to the end of it.

Last edited:
I used the word as a kid in the '80s and maybe into the '90s. It was part of the common 'playground vocabulary'. I cannot remember the where and when of being introduced to the perspective of the word being a slur about special people. I removed it from my vocabulary and now consider it the 'R-word'. I cringe every time I see someone take a group of people they don't like and attach "tarded" to the end of it.

Same. I did too. We didn’t know better…then when we knew better, do better.

Ben McKee this morning on the Swain event said that Tennessee is in a “Really, really good spot” for Amick. Take it for what it’s worth…
I think there are fireworks with him today. Seems appropriate that he'd want his freedom from clemson and declares his independence from them today and announces for UT. :cool:

That’s not correct as I understand it. Technically Grice was designated as the DH (batting for himself as the starting Pitcher), so by the rulebook, he could have remained as the DH once removed as the P. The only reason the DH was lost was because Grace went in as a position player after being removed as Pitcher. I know it’s confusing but essentially Clemson felt they were better off defensively with Grice at 1B up by 3 runs in the 9th. This effectively removed Amick’s bat in extra innings and resulted in DH being removed so, as you stated, they had to use lots of Pitchers since they needed to PH when they came up in the order.

I looked up the rule the other night. He was the P and the DH. Essentially, he was both the pitcher and was hitting for the pitcher as the DH, as you said. NCAA DH Rule

I had a grandson that died from Trisomy 18, which is a severe form of mental retardation. If you’re too ignorant to know what and how that word used as a slang translates, now you know. If you continue to use that word because you just don’t care, then I truly feel sorry for you. Having respect for special needs and compassion for those who are so much less fortunate than most of us is a good thing.
I'm so sorry about your grandson.

Cain said Cain is the worst?

He was being sarcastic. People were giving him a hard time about the fact he hasn’t really had a whole lot to say about this recruitment and most of the info the board has on Amick is copy/paste from Ben McKee. A few people said they wished On3 had kept Ben.

Jac Caglinone does this every Sunday. Once he’s removed as the starting pitcher he stays in the lineup as the DH batting for whoever takes his spot on the mound. They start off batting 9 positional players then move to 8 positional players and “insert” a DH (i.e. Cags).
Duplicate post.

Last edited:
The use of the word at all is wrong. If you can't figure out why, I'm not explaining it to you.
To each their own but I disagree. I would call it wrong to use it towards a person who is special needs and would certainly be highly pissed if anyone called my autistic son that but just to use the word isn’t wrong in my opinion. Context matters and it doesn’t offend me one bit if someone uses that word. I’m just offering a different view from someone who lives with a special needs person every day. I very much agree with the comments about him being a blessing. He’s absolutely awesome and has an infectious personality. He will never live on his own and sometimes people say they’re sorry because of that but they just don’t understand the gift that he is and always will be. My wife and I aren’t burdened by him, we’re blessed by him.

To each their own but I disagree. I would call it wrong to use it towards a person who is special needs and would certainly be highly pissed if anyone called my autistic son that but just to use the word isn’t wrong in my opinion. Context matters and it doesn’t offend me one bit if someone uses that word. I’m just offering a different view from someone who lives with a special needs person every day. I very much agree with the comments about him being a blessing. He’s absolutely awesome and has an infectious personality. He will never live on his own and sometimes people say they’re sorry because of that but they just don’t understand the gift that he is and always will be. My wife and I aren’t burdened by him, we’re blessed by him.

The word used to be the clinical term for a specific diagnosis. I’m not in the medical field, but I am in a field that had to understand its meaning and how it was diagnosed.

The medical field changed the term roughly 15 years ago, so I assume even doctors are trying to go away from the use of the term.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
As a Father with a 40 year old daughter with Down Syndrome I find the word offensive in the context it was used in this forum.
My neighbor has a 42 year old son with it as well. To watch him play catch with him and how they interact is heart warming. These angels on earth have such a pure, sweet spirit. There's a blessing to be around them if people have the heart to receive it.

What Galanie does in the cape is huge for him getting big $ in the draft or even as a FA. Currently he’s hitting .244 with 2 Errors in 6 games at 3rd. He does have 3 HRs. If he keeps those power numbers up in the cape I wouldn’t expect him to make it to class

Great topic

For me there are two answers

1) players that are “encouraged”
To move on. this group should be immediately eligible

2) players that move for “greener grass” and their current school wants to keep them. Imo those kids should have to sit out a year
What about the player that wasn't recruited heavily coming out of HS, yet has straight worked their tail off and deserves to be on the bigger stage to meet their personal goals and their potential. Does that kid not deserve that chance without sitting out?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
As a Father with a 40 year old daughter with Down Syndrome I find the word offensive in the context it was used in this forum.
And that’s what’s great about our country. You can find it offensive, I generally don’t and it’s perfectly ok for us to disagree. I personally did stop using the word because I don’t want to offend someone who does find it offensive. There are other ways to get the same point across.

What Galanie does in the cape is huge for him getting big $ in the draft or even as a FA. Currently he’s hitting .244 with 2 Errors in 6 games at 3rd. He does have 3 HRs. If he keeps those power numbers up in the cape I wouldn’t expect him to make it to class

I think his CCBL stats will decide his future path. I also believe he wants to play professional baseball sooner than later. He is 23 years old and if he plays next year for Tennessee his widow to play professionally will be diminished significantly.

Kyle Lewis, SOCON player of the year in 2015 and 2016 is the only SOCON player of the year to be taken higher than the sixth or seventh round of the MLB draft looking back eight years. Lewis who was drafted 11th in the first round was also the Golden Spikes award winner in 2016. Lewis left school at the end of his junior year and had just turned 21 when drafted. Lewis hit .287 in 2015 in his summer league (CCBL I think).

Galanie has actually played 12 games in the CCBL this year with 40 plate appearances. The three home runs in 40 AB's is impressive but the 244 BA is not. His BA at Wofford was .383 last season.

In 2022 he hit .329 at Wofford but in 40 games in the CCBL and 140 AB's he hit .243 with six home runs ( I believe CCBL is a wooden bat league which has to be considered.)

I don't know if a .244 BA is enough to get into the first few rounds of the draft. The league will continue until August 2nd. So he has time to put up some big numbers. I wish him the best of luck.

Last edited:

power hitting defensive liability corner infielders are almost literally a dime a dozen.

VN Store

Back