Pons declares for draft

His game tape says otherwise
His game film may show otherwise, but you have to remember that what a player does in a game and what he does in practice sometimes don't correlate. An example would be Fulky's outside shooting. I suspect Pons has some handles in practices if he says he does.

That is probably a true statement in and of itself, but it doesn't mean Pons doesn't have handles.
Show me video proof if as I've just never seen it. I'm not sure he scored all season on a drive where he created off the dribble, you seldom see him bounce the ball more than twice in a game and I don't recall him ever going coast-to-coast. I'd like to see some of the scouting reports on Pons as he's such an interesting player who folks seem to differ in opinion on. I think he'll look dominant at times this season and I think he's an incredibly hard worker who will improve from last year. He's not the 1st crazy talented athlete to have bad handles as there have been several defensive 1st type guys before him, even some offensive guys like future hall of famer Vince Carter started out with what many of the old timers referred to as "stonehands". I can certainly see him becoming a Vince Carter/Dominic Wilkens type offensive player 5 years down the road but right now he's more of an Andre Iguodala/Shawn Marion type. Either way his earning potential down the way is through the roof, Iguodala and Marion are worth $110 mil combined, Carter is estimated to be worth that by himself, that reason alone is a reason to improve his handles if he can.

Changed his mind today and is now headed back to the NBA Draft.

Arkansas basketball can't have nice things apparently.
There is concern Yves Pons could do the same. Nothing coming from inside the program, necessarily, but just knowing he has the option and waited until the 11th hour to withdraw his name the first time.

There is concern Yves Pons could do the same. Nothing coming from inside the program, necessarily, but just knowing he has the option and waited until the 11th hour to withdraw his name the first time.
When I opened this thread and the first thing I saw was “Changed his mind today and is now headed back to the NBA draft” I thought he was talking about Pons. My heart sank

Reactions: Vols All Day

It's a shame for every player considering the draft that they're making their decision without any concrete evidence of whether or not a season will be played. If something goes awry in the next 40 days and the SEC postpones the fall football season, which is always a possibility, it just seems cruel to force Pons back to a school that would seem increasingly unlikely to play ball this winter.

Reactions: Vols All Day
It's a shame for every player considering the draft that they're making their decision without any concrete evidence of whether or not a season will be played. If something goes awry in the next 40 days and the SEC postpones the fall football season, which is always a possibility, it just seems cruel to force Pons back to a school that would seem increasingly unlikely to play ball this winter.
Yeah, it's an unfortunate situation, but everyone is equally affected by it, and just the idea that we are attempting to have a season is refreshing. It sucks for these kids, but it also sucked for kids who missed their high school graduation or had their high school and college athletic careers interrupted and/or ended by storming the beaches of Normandy or being dropped into combat in Vietnam. It could be worse for these kids, today. Matter of perspective, I guess. This is the lesson I have tried to teach my kids who are simply bummed because they can't start school in person.

And in the end, the decision to return was solely Pons'. He could have remained in the draft and taken his chances. If he had doubts about college basketball, he had options.

VN Store

Back