Pons declares for draft

Pretty clear why he wouldn’t want Pons over dribbling, multiple examples in the last 1-2 years show that.

Barnes insisted on Bone dribbling up court, into the lane and into the oppositions elbow every single possession to probe...if he trusts you with the balm and it’s productive he has no issues with someone dribble driving. He doesn’t run Cal’s offense so no, you won’t see every guy on the wings drive it each time down, but admiral drove the ball plenty...again it’s largely about trust with Barnes.

There’s a lot of things that he had Grant Williams do that he never would’ve let ORN do last year, doesn’t mean Barnes would never allow it though.

Agreed for the most part but it’s very clear that Barnes is on the side of conservative when it comes to allowing the freedom to dribble drive and tolerating the negative mistakes they can occur with that. Even with bone he pulled him out a many of games for over penetrating.

Im not saying that’s a bad thing just that it can and is a factor in allowing guys to showcase their entire skill sets

Just some info that I'm not sure how to take it - Sam Vecenie, one of the better NBA draft guys from The Athletic has Pons at #55 on his big board today - up from #65 a month ago. However, he did not have Pons drafted in his most recent mock draft two weeks ago saying he was under the assumption that Pons would be returning. So who knows.
It’s gonna be close...I doubt anyone has made him a promise or else he would’ve already declared, so he’s basing it on similar info.

I’m not a contract expert...what’s the difference for NBA if he’s the last pick in the draft or an undrafted free agent? Essentially, what was difference in Bone/Alexander?

It’s gonna be close...I doubt anyone has made him a promise or else he would’ve already declared, so he’s basing it on similar info.

I’m not a contract expert...what’s the difference for NBA if he’s the last pick in the draft or an undrafted free agent? Essentially, what was difference in Bone/Alexander?

Good question
I wonder if it’s similar to football where there say you are better off being a FA where you can choose a roster that fits your skillset better and sign there

Good question
I wonder if it’s similar to football where there say you are better off being a FA where you can choose a roster that fits your skillset better and sign there
Right, that’s my thought if contracts aren’t really any different. But that doesn’t make sense then why so often we here about “if he gets told he will get drafted in the 2nd round he will go” about prospects. If you are that close to being drafted then obviously someone will sign you, would think there has to be some difference.

Reactions: rdk4121
Worth noting...you likely will see a lot of kids (potentially Pons) withdraw their names but still enter the draft. The NCAA date is August 3rd, but the NBA date to enter your name is August 17th. So with all the question marks surrounding everything there’s a lot of speculation players will do this to have 2 more weeks to potentially gather information. So if you see Pons say he’s coming back I wouldn’t totally jump for joy just yet.

Just saw a mock draft that shows Yves Pons going to Boston to rejoin Grant. Wouldn’t hate it.

So does Pons have until 11:59 pm tomorrow to decide or does anyone know exactly how that works?
He has until tomorrow to withdraw, if he doesn’t then it’s a done deal he’s gone...if he withdraws he still has 2 weeks to actually re-declare for the draft.

Obviously he could be an outlier, but this would likely suggest he’s viewed in that 80-100 range which would equate to undrafted.

I can't imagine that he goes to the combine healthy and does not end up in the top 50. He will test off the charts for some of the key metrics that teams fall in love with

Yea, that’s been kinda interrupted by this whole COVID thing
True, but it didn't interrupt the NFL combine. And it occurred during the most frightening/uncertain period of this mess. I wonder why the NBA doesn't feel they can replicate that?

Edit: To be fair, the NFL combine did occur at the very front end of the shutdown of things, so maybe that's the difference. Perhaps if it were in June, it would have been nixed, too.

Per Rob Lewis

I have talked to a couple of people that I trust tonight who are close to the situation and I’m led to believe that no one, including Yves himself knows what he’s going to do.

Not having a combine, not being able to work out for scouts has made an already difficult decision for a potential 2nd round guy even more difficult.

He is pushing it to the last minute.

VN Store

Back