Poll: Would you rather have Auburn, Florida, USCjr or UK as a permanent rival?

Auburn or Florida?

• Auburn

• Florida

• South Carolina

• Kentucky

Results are only viewable after voting.

NeverWe'llSever

NashVol
(Edited to include UK)

In the new format which will likely be 3-6-6 (because money), the common denominator for opponents in every model I’ve seen are Bama and Vandy, so we’re not getting out of those 2, it seems (not too sad about Vandy).

It is very possible in a pod system, UT could be paired with Alabama, Vandy and Auburn. I have seen another scenario where UT is paired with Alabama, UF and Vandy. And the final and probably best one I have seen is with Alabama, Vandy and USCjr. Which would you prefer?

Florida: Personally, I say the less UT has to play Florida, the better. We’re cursed against UF. Even Alabama I feel like we can beat them somewhat consistently once Saban is gone. I want UF to only be a bi-annual concern. However, I feel I’m in the minority here. Some Vol fans are apparently masochists when it comes to Florida.

Auburn: They would be better imo. They are also technically a more historic rival. We recruit head to head with the War Tigers more than Florida for ATL talent, and they are definitely not a program who is consistently good enough to beat us 11 years in a row.

USCjr: This is a team that is tough to beat on the road (kind’ve), but we dominate them at home (they have 3 wins in Neyland all-time and all 3 were close wins). We recruit against them a lot as well for Carolina talent.

UK: The best outcome, of course. Our most historic opponent, along with Vandy. UK’s program has improved, as well as the interest for the game. But I am confident we will continue to dominate UK. It seems we always play well against them, home or away.

Links/Pics:

UT plays Auburn

1654457194351.jpeg

UT plays Florida

1654457157078.jpeg

UT plays USCjr

What SEC football schedule format is best? Here's our rivalry model1A52C4A5-B9AF-47BC-BE17-FF234FC772F6.jpeg

UT plays UK

Which new SEC schedule format should Tennessee football fans want?

Last edited:
You left Kentucky off that list. And it checks all the blocks.

(a) Even older rival than Auburn.
(b) "easy win" for the "let's have cupcakes" crowd.
(c) We've played them more times than any other team outside the borders of Tennessee.

I do like considering Florida and Auburn, they're good choices, but South Carolina doesn't belong there. It's not a rival. Never has been. Even Spurrier coaching there for a decade or so couldn't turn it into one. Very Johnny-come-lately.

So replace South Carolina with Kentucky, and you have a great poll question.

You left Kentucky off that list. And it checks all the blocks.

(a) Even older rival than Auburn.
(b) "easy win" for the "let's have cupcakes" crowd.
(c) We've played them more times than any other team outside the borders of Tennessee.

I do like considering Florida and Auburn, they're good choices, but South Carolina doesn't belong there. It's not a rival. Never has been. Even Spurrier coaching there for a decade or so couldn't turn it into one. Very Johnny-come-lately.

So replace South Carolina with Kentucky, and you have a great poll question.

You’re correct, I will edit and add. I also found a link for UK.

I say Kentucky because it is a more relevant rivalry. Kentucky has done a lot to upgrade there program and it's just closer to home. What is considered our current rivals are simply that because of what happened 20 or 30 years ago don't get me wrong history is good for the game but when it becomes a road block to your growth you can't live in it.

If we are going to have 3 rivals it should be Vandy, UK and Bama. If any of those teams are in our pod, then we should go for Arky, Aub, SCAR, Ole Miss or FL

Personally I would prefer to have TN, KY, Vandy and Mizzou in a pod together with Bama, Arky, and FL or SCAR as our out of conference rival.

East: GA, FL, SCAR, KY
South: AL, Aub, Miss, MissSt
West: aTm, uTa, LSU, OK
North: Mizzou, Vandy, TN, Arky

or
North: TN, Vandy, KY, Mizzou
West: aTm, uTa, Arky, OK
East: GA, FL, SCAR, Aub
South: AL, LSU, Miss, Ole Miss

Seems like we are gonna be stuck with Bama and vandy regardless of what we go to. Anything to keep Saban winning and happy I guess.

I think they will cont. to make us play Bama there is so many people on the inside and outside of the rivalry that wants it to be relevant again. So many times I have talked about the last time we beat Alabama and the look on people face was like it was 100 years it was like talking about something that was in a history book where nobody is even living from that time. I just wanna beat Bama to see the look on peoples face just to see there reaction. There is a lot of people in the media and in main stream sports who believe it or not are to young to remember that cold rainy night in Knoxville when Erik Anige led us to a score late in the ball game to win 16-13.

Bama and UF are REQUIRED. id be good with Auburn, UGA or kentucky for the third

I voted KY but also agree with those who want UF. Only picked KY because now their FB fans have become just as arrogant as the BB fans and with them being closer to Knoxville both sports are heated match ups. KY fans hate it that we beat them in BB now and doing it in both sports just rubs it in. But shutting up Gator fans is awful close but our rivalry with Gators is just basically FB.

Last edited:
Well, Bama and Vandy should be a given. If I am thinking history, only KY makes sense. It is one of the oldest rivalries in the country.

If I am thinking who do I want to pound year after year now that we are back on the upswing? Florida!
4c2c7cbe-d5f4-4cd0-9120-e1d7401c05cc_text.gif

The cocks? they really don't have a place there. Only reason we ever cared about them is because Spurrier was there for a bit.

1654457194351-jpeg.461380

It's unfortunately that we aren't going to be considered a top-tier team when this decision is made. It's obvious that whoever put these Pods together is trying to eventually distribute quality, as if seeding a tournament...

1 seeds: Georgia, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma
2 seeds: Florida, Auburn, LSU, Texas
3 seeds: Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas
4 seeds: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, MSU, Missouri

This makes the most sense for the conference... not only is is evenly distributed, it preserves the rivalries. It's just unfortunate that we aren't one of those 1 or 2 seeds.. being a 3 or 4 in this layout long-term is a tough spot to be in.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I like the idea of our biggest rival also considering us their biggest rival...

Alabama's biggest rival is Auburn.

Auburn's biggest rival is Alabama.

Florida's biggest rival is Georgia.

Give me Kentucky.
This is an insightful point, one I'd never heard before.

It's not the 100% answer, but has bearing on the question for sure.

Thanks for it.

Reactions: bpalmer28
It's unfortunately that we aren't going to be considered a top-tier team when this decision is made. It's obvious that whoever put these Pods together is trying to eventually distribute quality, as if seeding a tournament...

1 seeds: Georgia, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma
2 seeds: Florida, Auburn, LSU, Texas
3 seeds: Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas
4 seeds: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, MSU, Missouri

This makes the most sense for the conference... not only is is evenly distributed, it preserves the rivalries. It's just unfortunate that we aren't one of those 1 or 2 seeds.. being a 3 or 4 in this layout long-term is a tough spot to be in.

Pretty sure pods are a no-go. I think the SEC leadership already ruled them out. For that matter, I think they've ruled out divisions as well. Not sure of the latter....

As for basing anything on current seeding of the conference, bad idea. Never make a long-term decision based on short-term information. Blink your eyes twice, and that seeding will be wrong. Tennessee will rise back up to the top, Kentucky will sink back to the bottom, and programs like Arkansas and A&M will bounce all over the place.

I mean, there have been times, in my lifetime, when Georgia would've been a tier 3 seed based on this structure. Bama a tier 2 (or tier 3, depending on how badly one thought they needed to be downgraded for cheating). Go back a decade, and Mizzou could argue for tier 1 (more reasonably, tier 2). Heck, go far enough back in time and Vandy would be a tier 1.

So no, never do it like this. Leave impressions of teams' relative strength out of the equation entirely. You'll be wrong before your solution goes into execution.

Reactions: sjt18 and bpalmer28

VN Store

Back