Poll: Why have the Gators dominated us for so long?

Why has Florida had our # for so many years?

• Total voters

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Of course this is a generalization. It is not about one or two or three specific games but rather, about trying to put a handle on why our Ws have been so few and far between for decades.

Gators HAVE NOT had better coaching. They've fired 3 coaches in 10 years.

And Napier is not much of an improvement.

They have used a round robin of those over the last 30 years.

Tonight was a fine example of going conservative. UCLA called out Fulmer and Chavis after they went conservative and ended up losing out there.

I expect JH learns the lesson from this win.

Reactions: dduncan4163
All of the above . Every SEC team gonna bring their best. Our problem has been coaching and talent the last 20+years. Hindsight FL game should have never been close. We're getting better though

Decades of poor leadership and turnover and instability from the top down at Tennessee. It’s astonishing just how many university presidents, chancellors, athletic directors and coaching staffs we have gone through in the last 15-20 years.

Gators HAVE NOT had better coaching. They've fired 3 coaches in 10 years.

And Napier is not much of an improvement.

A bad coach is a coach that keeps making the same coaching mistakes. We can go back and forth about gambling too much, but there is point when a coach goes so conservative that my 9 year old asked why we kept running up the middle. 2 yards and a cloud of dust isn’t enough when 1 more 1st down gets you in victory formation.

Reactions: WiseOlVol
I second all of the above and some of the worst luck imaginable. Hopefully changing.

Fulmer sold his and the soul of the program to get that victory in ‘98. We’ve never been the same since.

Coaching during Fulmer’s time, talent and coaching during the Dooley and Pruitt era. Coaching mostly during Butch.

Reactions: Samthebam
Our inability to play offense. I know a lot of people are going to disagree but had we had a offense anywhere near this we would have possibly won at least 4 to 5 over the last 10 years. How many times in the last 10 years has Florida been able to just bottle us up and basically control the game with there defense. If we ever fix our secondary we are going to be hard for anyone to beat and we will have more wins over Florida going forward as well as everyone else. For me it just goes back to the 2 drives better if we had got just 2 stop more we would have crushed Florida by 4 touchdowns. We are a decent secondary away from easily being a extremely good football team.

What kind of poll question is this 2 hours after beat Florida? Lol

Let me see if I can provide you my reason for this poll. It has been an excruciating past 20+ years being a UT fan. Some good of course, but much let down - especially after the 3rd Saturday in September. We won tonight and it feels good. But 20 years of having Florida use us as a doormat got really really old. I wanted to see if VN was in the mood to address this issue that has been gnawing at me (and hey, maybe ONLY me, ok?) for decades. There is absolutely nothing negative (intended) about this thread but merely, a chance for reflection on a run that is hopefully behind us. I apologize to any Vol that thinks this is a Debbie Downer thread - cuz it is not even close to that

Last edited:
Reactions: Samthebam
Let me see if I can provide you my reason for this poll. It has been an excruciating past 20 years being a UT fan. Some good of course, but much let down - especially after the 3rd Saturday in September. We won tonight and it feels good. But 20 years of having Florida use us as a doormat got really really old. I wanted to see if VN was in the mood to address this issue that has been gnawing at me (and hey, maybe ONLY me, ok?) for decades. There is absolutely nothing negative (intended) about this thread but merely, a chance for reflection on a run that is hopefully behind us. I apologize to any Vol that thinks this is a Debbie Downer thread - cuz it is not even close to that
I totally get the question. It’s been happening since the mid-80 seemingly regardless of how good Florida is. I just don’t want to think about it right now lol.

Spurrier was a better coach than Fulmer. Not sure how Zooker beat us. Urban’s team had more talent and better coaching. Tennessee had horrible coaching under Dooley, Butch, Cornbread.

With the exception of possibly 2014-2016 and the Fulmer era, Florida has had better teams both players and coaches. They have been a better program. It really wasn't a mental issue other than a few years (perhaps in Fulmer era against Spurrier but Spurrier just had Fulmer's number until his last 4 years at Florida when Tennessee started beating them and competing).

VN Store

Back