Poll Who would you want as OC?

Who should be next OC?

• Total voters
kiffinx.jpg

We could do a whole lot worse. But no way that happens. But I'd enjoy it.

Last edited:
Starting to like Tony Franklin OC/QB coach at Cal
Dual use in position of need here at UT, previous SEC experience and recruiting, number #13 offense currently as a spread offense coach (I know I know we don't run the spread! but he should be able to adapt)

Isn't Franklin the one that put the final nail in Tuberville at Auburn? That offense was awful. Worse than the Clawfense. But they beat us because our players fumbling near the end zone. That one wouldn't excite me at all.

Isn't Franklin the one that put the final nail in Tuberville at Auburn? That offense was awful. Worse than the Clawfense. But they beat us because our players fumbling near the end zone. That one wouldn't excite me at all.

Go read more about him before you bash it. Take a look at the candidates thread. I delved farther into it and it actually makes sense.
In short Tubby did not give the offense time to learn with less than 6 months to learn a radically different system. he was extremely successful every other stop. I am very excited about him. Tubby just sucked that was the real problem with his time at the barn.

Ps- his offense crushed ours this year

Last edited:
Go read more about him before you bash it. Take a look at the candidates thread. I delved farther into it and it actually makes sense.
In short Tubby did not give the offense time to learn with less than 6 months to learn a radically different system. he was extremely successful every other stop. I am very excited about him. Tubby just sucked that was the real problem with his time at the barn.

Ps- his offense crushed ours this year and has for a few years

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the guy. It just wouldn't move the needle for me. I feel the talent our defense will have. Being the offensive coordinator here will have to be nice as you won't have to amazing. Just be fundamentally sound and score when the opportunity presents itself.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the guy. It just wouldn't move the needle for me. I feel the talent our defense will have. Being the offensive coordinator here will have to be nice as you won't have to amazing. Just be fundamentally sound and score when the opportunity presents itself.

completely agree! but check out his bio, I think you will be more excited than you expect. I personally think he is the best fit of any available coach out there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Franklin_(coach)

Last edited:
Could someone post a quick summary of how each of these guys could be candidates? I apologize but not familiar with some of the names (Weist, Magee, Lafleur..)

Their stubbornness to keep Kodi Burns at QB in spite of his inability to play the position was the ultimate downfall of Franklin and Tubs.

My thoughts exactly. VN just stop with all this foolishness. Butch will hire who Butch hires and a 100 polls and a 1000 threads of names are not going to change that. If any of you think your suggestion of a name in any way will affect the selection of our next OC I will tell right now, NO IT WONT.

Just stop all this. Don't you realize how stupid this makes us look to all the other fan bases that lurk on here and then go back to their home boards and post. It is no wonder we are laughed at by other fan bases, we can not handle normal events in the life of a football program.

Is what we do...

...and have you read any of the other fan boards? VN is a class and a level above most. Very informed. Very passionate...the good the bad and the ugly.

...and what do you care if other fan bases laugh at us? Do they laugh at us any more than we laugh at them? Ever hear any bamma or vandy jokes? It's called rivalry. Everyone makes fun of each other...and if you're not being made fun of then you're irrelevant.

...I read on here every day and post every once in a while. I know who the trolls are and I know who the smart ones are. It balances out. Relax.

Reactions: 1 person
I keep seeing the Oregon OC's name pop up in different threads. I don't get it. If we're trying to be realistic, I don't think we would have a shot in hell at that hire. I don't care what he got paid last year. Phil Knight carries around pocket change that could outbid us to keep his services. And if Helfrich is willing to let him go without a fight, I'd be worried. It's not that I think he's a bad OC, he kept the Oregon O churning along as usual and Mariotta had a great season, but we won't win a bidding war with the man behind Nike. Too much money there to overcome.

If Jake had left earlier, Tim Beck may have been a possibility, but Meyer snatched him up to be Co-OC and QB coach. Looks like a talented up and comer.

Some of these votes are scary. Why does anyone think CZA is the answer? And Jim Bob Cooter? Really? This can't be a Clawson, Dooley, or Sunsari hire. I get that CZA is familiar with the scheme, but he is not proven at this level. We're not even sure he can bring along WRs. I know they've been injured, but like North declining after a freakish year last yr? There was a thread about how his WRs regressed at Wisconsin under him. I'm wondering if this could hold some weight. And I can't remember how his year at Florida went. Either way we need a proven OC that will bring out the best in what we have and one that fits our scheme.

And though I get the feeling he's entrenched in Boise, the BSU OC/QB coach was someone else I heard of as an up and comer. I'm blanking on his name atm, but I think his father worked for CUM as OC when he was at Utah. Pretty sure a few teams have tried to lure him from BSU, but so far, no one's succeeded.

Some of these votes are scary. Why does anyone think CZA is the answer? And Jim Bob Cooter? Really? This can't be a Clawson, Dooley, or Sunsari hire. I get that CZA is familiar with the scheme, but he is not proven at this level. We're not even sure he can bring along WRs. I know they've been injured, but like North declining after a freakish year last yr? There was a thread about how his WRs regressed at Wisconsin under him. I'm wondering if this could hold some weight. And I can't remember how his year at Florida went. Either way we need a proven OC that will bring out the best in what we have and one that fits our scheme.

I'll agree that I'm not sure Z is the man to be OC, but until his injury, Smith was looking a lot better this year than last. And to be fair, there have been rumors of North being banged up practically all year. Without knowing the whole truth behind those rumors, it seems a little unfair to place his drop off solely on Coach Z. Hell, the receiving corps looked like a MASH unit for a good part of the year.

If Coach Z were to get the bump to OC, I would just hope Butch finds a QB coach that can mentor dual threat QBs. Dobbs needs someone to help him develop his throwing motion, but he also needs someone to help him understand when it's just best to tuck and run. I like him as a player, but I hated how there were times he tried to force things when he had room to pick up yards with his legs. He got better as the year progressed, but he needs a mentor to keep him on that path.

seems like for every name on here, there is a love/hate relationship depending upon the poster...even poor T has love/hate and he is a VOL.

Tee Martin for OC??? I don't get that one at all. He's gonna run an offense that's "soft and terrible"? No thanks! I appreciate what Tee did for us in the 90's and whether he's VFL or not is not for me to say but as a coordinator...pass. We need somebody that has more experience.

Give me the TCU co-coordinator that handles qb coaching and I'd be tickled. He turned that wideout into an actual qb, and they score a ton, and they're exciting to watch. Check, check, and check. Hire that guy.

Give me the TCU co-coordinator that handles qb coaching and I'd be tickled. He turned that wideout into an actual qb, and they score a ton, and they're exciting to watch. Check, check, and check. Hire that guy.

You would think that a co-coordinator would love the opportunity to be THE guy. We have have a good QB and a lot of talent. Let's get him.

VN Store

Back