POLL: Was this a foul?

Was this a missed foul call on Zach Edey?

• Yes

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 70 42.4%

• Total voters
The moving screen on ZZ and the foul on Tobe going for a rebound were much more egregious. What I take from this is why Purdue’s defense is as good on perimeter shooting as they are.
They typically don’t leave shooters to help stop drivers because Edey is there to change/block shots. This also allows them to be more aggressive overall as well. If they aren’t gonna EVER call a foul on Edey then it’s tough for anyone to get a clean look for sure.

Our greatest hope was that all the voters for POY saw that Edey was a sham due to favorable officiating and vote Dalton the award....but that didn't happen.

Foul, not a foul, I don't care, I just want NC State to paint the walls with Purdue's blood so I can stop thinking about it.
That, sadly, is NOT going to happen. It’s not “in the program” for NC State to win. It’s going to be Purdue and UConn in the final….betcha

I didn't think it was a foul, but did think it was funny how much Edey and the media highlighted this play. It was one of Knechts forced drives to the basket. We were down and there was no time to pass the ball around the perimeter to get a perfect look. We had to attempt for quick points and it was obvious the ball wasn't leaving Knecht's hands. No surprise it got blocked. Everyone knew what was happening. For Edey to do a wild celebration and the media to focus on this one play is comical.

I didn't think it was a foul, but did think it was funny how much Edey and the media highlighted this play. It was one of Knechts forced drives to the basket. We were down and there was no time to pass the ball around the perimeter to get a perfect look. We had to attempt for quick points and it was obvious the ball wasn't leaving Knecht's hands. No surprise it got blocked. Everyone knew what was happening. For Edey to do a wild celebration and the media to focus on this one play is comical.
Why? If you think about the situation, that block was huge in the most critical part of the game. Down 4, 30 seconds left...if Knecht hits that, all the pressure immediately falls on Purdue's shoulders. Then you foul quickly and make them earn it at the freethrow line. Everyone in that game was exhausted and you never know what happens in a one possession game.

I’ve seen multiple replays from the other side and they showed one on the broadcast. Take off the tinfoil hat.

I didn't say if it was or wasn't a foul, I don't recall seeing a replay from the other side. Lighten up.

Your body doesn't go flying if the defender gets all ball
My thoughts to a T!!! Dalton wasn't acting. Dalton almost gets knocked into the media and still NO FOUL CALL for EDEY, same as Edey taking out ZZ on a screen with NO CALL. BEYOND RIDICULOUS! Yes, game is over. It can't be changed. But, it still hurts and matters. UT gets screwed refs in basketball just like bowl game in football against Purdue!!! Hope we can play them again in football soon and hang 70 on them!!!

Why? If you think about the situation, that block was huge in the most critical part of the game. Down 4, 30 seconds left...if Knecht hits that, all the pressure immediately falls on Purdue's shoulders. Then you foul quickly and make them earn it at the freethrow line. Everyone in that game was exhausted and you never know what happens in a one possession game.
We were down 5. If we made it, we are still down 3 and forced to foul. Purdue gets free throws.

My point was that there was still alot that needed to happen for TN to even have a chance to tie/win it. We would have needed Purdue to miss multiple free throws, coupled by another basket or two, just to get a shot at a game tying three.

So sure, I suppose our chances went from 1% to zero with the block. I just think the media overblew the magnitude of the play all becuase it was Knecht vs Edey. Edey made an easy play any 7ft 4 guy would make.

5:14 mark missed a hook and hold maybe why knecht didn't shoot as well towards the end
Really? It's not actually the last 7:53, just watch for a couple seconds.

Of all the no calls to whine about, this is not it.

The best thing about this play is that iirc Knecht on our next possession took the ball straight to the basket at Edey and scored. That got less attention, but it was clear he was determined this play was not going to be the final word. He took it as a challenge.

That angle is bad but there was another angle that showed Edey fouling with his lower body. It's been called all year on us but Edey gets a different whistle.

On one hand, I never want to play Purdue in any sport again but the bigger part of me wants us to schedule them and leave nothing but a grease stain of that stupid program.

Reactions: Volhoops
I thought that the late block by Edey on Knecht was a good no call. Refs let a lot go and from the camera angle from out top I thought that I saw nothing but ball. There were a lot more other questionable calls and no calls in the game. It would have been weird to pick out that one to whistle.

From the angle of the camera, it looks like Edy was on Knecht's back when he went up, then he hit's him in the head after blocking the shot, knocking him down. I voted yes, but in my opinion, the right question would have been how many fouls did he commit on that play?

How in the world would that be a foul? You guys are reaching big time to cope here.
I’m with you. The litmus test is if a UT player did that exact same thing to one of Purdue’s guys and the official called a foul would we be upset? Absolutely! I say no foul and I think Knecht assumed Edey wouldn’t try to block it so he showed the ball too much.

Reactions: FragMcNasty
We were down 5. If we made it, we are still down 3 and forced to foul. Purdue gets free throws.

My point was that there was still alot that needed to happen for TN to even have a chance to tie/win it. We would have needed Purdue to miss multiple free throws, coupled by another basket or two, just to get a shot at a game tying three.

So sure, I suppose our chances went from 1% to zero with the block. I just think the media overblew the magnitude of the play all becuase it was Knecht vs Edey. Edey made an easy play any 7ft 4 guy would make.
That and I think Knecht assumed Edey wouldn’t try to block it. Knecht is good at positioning his body to get shots off against bigger defenders. He didn’t even try to do it on that one so my guess is he assumed Edey would back off.

Don't ruin your position by using false evidence to support it. There were numerous missed calls that should have been made against Edey on offensive rebound attempts. There were fouls called against UT that were not fouls. This particular shot attempt was not a foul. They have a much better angle that shows very clearly that this was not a foul.

If there was a foul on that play, there's no way from this camera's angle behind the defensive player that we could possibly know. Wrong angle for making that complaint.

Decades of experimental proof says that we can't believe our own two eyes. We humans often "see" what we expect to see, even when it isn't there.
----------------------------------
Just for fun--not being a smart-mule...

I figure this was a cherry-picked play by the low count on the OPs first post, probably a Purdue fan or Vol hater IMO. Edey usually puts his off hand on the shooter when attempting blocks hard to tell in this angle on this play but that's why it was posted by an anti-fan.

VN Store

Back