Poll: Should Guarantano transfer?

Should Guarantano transfer?

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect

Votes: 699 69.1%
  • Yes. He should transfer.

Votes: 323 31.9%

• Total voters
JG got us to more wins this season than anyone ever expected after the start of the season. Our WRs were not guys that beat DBs on a consistent basis. There were terrible throws as well as drops.

Again you keep piling the majority of the blame on JG. It’s beyond ridiculous. The whole entire offense HAS to operate at a high level for it to succeed at a high level. Why is that so hard to understand? But if your defense can play at a high level, it can carry a team. Denver and the Patriots of last year are perfect examples.

Watch any NFL this season? With all that talent on the offense, how'd New England do in those games where Brady was utterly ineffective at QB?

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsnRavens
JG got us to more wins this season than anyone ever expected after the start of the season.
No he didn't. His improvement was marginal. With the D that started the season, UT loses at least the last two for the same reason they lost BYU and GSU... ineffective QB play. To give him or really any of the QB's a lot of credit... is ridiculous.

Our WRs were not guys that beat DBs on a consistent basis. There were terrible throws as well as drops.
The WR's got open all year. They can't throw it to themselves. One of the reasons Pruitt let slip for benching JG was that he missed too many plays downfield. That means pretty much the opposite of what you suggest.

Again you keep piling the majority of the blame on JG. It’s beyond ridiculous.
No it isn't. There's blame to go around but you act as if QB isn't the most critical position on the field. It is and JG hurt the team. Others missed tackles, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc... but I know of no one on the team besides JG who consistently played below the level you would expect a starter/contributor at their stage of development. JG is a RS Jr who cannot consistently process fast enough or anticipate throws.

The DL played poorly at the start of the season and allowed GSU gaping holes all game... but they had what one start between all of them? UT's OL started two true Fr, right? UT started a true Fr at LB and had Bituli injured for a while, right?

The whole entire offense HAS to operate at a high level for it to succeed at a high level. Why is that so hard to understand? But if your defense can play at a high level, it can carry a team. Denver and the Patriots of last year are perfect examples.
If a WR on a particular play doesn't run a perfect route and a good QB finds another target... it is still possible to have a high level of success. If every receiver runs a perfect route and the QB cannot quickly read the D, choose a target, and anticipate the throw.... the play fails about 100% of the time.

Why your impulse to excuse JG from responsibility causes you to ignore this truth... is something I really don't understand. You are generally more reasonable than that.

One area though where JG improved pretty significantly on though was management of the run game. If there's anything that really separates him from the others right now... it is that.

Reactions: LittleVol
I think he needs to transfer, although it’s beyond that point already since he’s already said he’s staying.
This is one of those “if you love something, let it go” situations. He needs to go so the team and can move on from him and give one the the young guys their chance. Him staying keeps us in the same situation where he is the most experienced QB but his play is so erratic that he puts the coaches in a tough spot. Go with experience that has a 50/50 shot of costing us a game or give a new guy a chance to get that experience and hope the ceiling is much higher.
sadly this staff is in love with hi and I think we are in for another up and down year next year because they will give him every chance as the senior while pulling every other QB for making 1 tenth of the mistakes he does.

The only thing that can hold a team back is the team plays bad. You can try and dispute till you are blue in the face but that’s a fact. Peyton played like crap in his last SB win, so did Brady. But what happened? Their teams played great. QB is important but not to the degree some want to believe.

Case in point GS and BYU. If our defense just plays at an even average level we win easily.
I tend to agree with you; however, there are those times when the coach must be held responsible for a loss. I'm thinking about failure's to call a time out, not kicking the FG on 4th (because of a chart) etc. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, remember boy butch?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
No he didn't. His improvement was marginal. With the D that started the season, UT loses at least the last two for the same reason they lost BYU and GSU... ineffective QB play. To give him or really any of the QB's a lot of credit... is ridiculous.

The WR's got open all year. They can't throw it to themselves. One of the reasons Pruitt let slip for benching JG was that he missed too many plays downfield. That means pretty much the opposite of what you suggest.

No it isn't. There's blame to go around but you act as if QB isn't the most critical position on the field. It is and JG hurt the team. Others missed tackles, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc... but I know of no one on the team besides JG who consistently played below the level you would expect a starter/contributor at their stage of development. JG is a RS Jr who cannot consistently process fast enough or anticipate throws.

The DL played poorly at the start of the season and allowed GSU gaping holes all game... but they had what one start between all of them? UT's OL started two true Fr, right? UT started a true Fr at LB and had Bituli injured for a while, right?

If a WR on a particular play doesn't run a perfect route and a good QB finds another target... it is still possible to have a high level of success. If every receiver runs a perfect route and the QB cannot quickly read the D, choose a target, and anticipate the throw.... the play fails about 100% of the time.

Why your impulse to excuse JG from responsibility causes you to ignore this truth... is something I really don't understand. You are generally more reasonable than that.

One area though where JG improved pretty significantly on though was management of the run game. If there's anything that really separates him from the others right now... it is that.

You keep exposing your lack of understanding of a team sport. You blame the QB for the losses and bad play but give him barely any credit for getting us 8 wins. Whatever man. You and some others are a sad, but hurt bunch. It’s quite pathetic that you cannot give credit where it’s due.

Watch any NFL this season? With all that talent on the offense, how'd New England do in those games where Brady was utterly ineffective at QB?

Brady had a bad year. Yet the team won how many games?

Brady was 27th in completion %. He was 13th in passing TDs. 27th in Y/A. 23rd in Y/C. 19th in QBR.

Despite those paltry stays, the Pats won 12 games and won the AFC least yet again.

Wonder how they managed those wins with that bad QB play?

You keep exposing your lack of understanding of a team sport. You blame the QB for the losses and bad play but give him barely any credit for getting us 8 wins. Whatever man. You and some others are a sad, but hurt bunch. It’s quite pathetic that you cannot give credit where it’s due.
Nope. You've seen me post more than enough not to try a BS tactic like that. It isn't that only he caused the losses, made mistakes, or needs improvement. It is that he has flaws that are difference makers. UT should have been up 14-0 on IU. The ONLY reason those drives turned into FG's is that JG was late with the ball. OL blocked. WR's got about as much space as you can count on in the RZ. He was just LATE.

It has manifested itself in various ways... but he just processes too slow and cannot visualize and anticipate throws at the level needed. There will come a time when UT has a QB that does this well. When that happens... you'll look back and see this a lot more clearly than you do now.

You simply want to deny that the kid for all his heart and effort has a fatal flaw that keeps hurting the team.

Reactions: cgrish and KBVol
Brady had a bad year. Yet the team won how many games?

Brady was 27th in completion %. He was 13th in passing TDs. 27th in Y/A. 23rd in Y/C. 19th in QBR.

Despite those paltry stays, the Pats won 12 games and won the AFC least yet again.

Wonder how they managed those wins with that bad QB play?

Because winning the AFC east of course has nothing to do with being in the same division as the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills? I digress.

How'd the patriots do in the games where Brady was ineffective? Were they able to tap into the rest of the talent on the offense and overcome his bad play?

How about Pittsburgh? Were they able to overcome not having a functional quarterback? Carolina, how'd that work out for them? Jacksonville? Chargers?

Literal "NFL-level" talent all over those offenses, and they could not overcome poor QB play.

Reactions: cgrish and KBVol
Because winning the AFC east of course has nothing to do with being in the same division as the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills? I digress.

How'd the patriots do in the games where Brady was ineffective? Were they able to tap into the rest of the talent on the offense and overcome his bad play?

How about Pittsburgh? Were they able to overcome not having a functional quarterback? Carolina, how'd that work out for them? Jacksonville? Chargers?

Literal "NFL-level" talent all over those offenses, and they could not overcome poor QB play.

The Pats won 4 games where Brady played really bad. Again, when you have a really good team, bad QB play is not that big of a deal.

Nope. You've seen me post more than enough not to try a BS tactic like that. It isn't that only he caused the losses, made mistakes, or needs improvement. It is that he has flaws that are difference makers. UT should have been up 14-0 on IU. The ONLY reason those drives turned into FG's is that JG was late with the ball. OL blocked. WR's got about as much space as you can count on in the RZ. He was just LATE.

It has manifested itself in various ways... but he just processes too slow and cannot visualize and anticipate throws at the level needed. There will come a time when UT has a QB that does this well. When that happens... you'll look back and see this a lot more clearly than you do now.

You simply want to deny that the kid for all his heart and effort has a fatal flaw that keeps hurting the team.

Blah, blah, blah. Like I said you give him little to no credit for wins but virtually all the blame for losses. Of course he has flaws. But like I said he led this team to 8 wins. That’s a fact no matter how hard you and Beard try, cannot be denied.

You have failed. Hopefully you have finally learned how stupid your argument actually is.

Blah, blah, blah. Like I said you give him little to no credit for wins but virtually all the blame for losses. Of course he has flaws. But like I said he led this team to 8 wins. That’s a fact no matter how hard you and Beard try, cannot be denied.

You have failed. Hopefully you have finally learned how stupid your argument actually is.
I think the problem is he put us in bad places in a lot of games and then came back off the bench to get us out of it. But this is not the skill set of a 4 year SEC QB. Is he horrible? No. As it stands right now, he’s a middle of the pack QB who shows flashes of greatness and flashes of WTF in the same game. And until he can get the WTF out of his game, the criticisms will be there and fair.

Blah, blah, blah. Like I said you give him little to no credit for wins but virtually all the blame for losses.
I've said he manages the O well and the run game much better than the others. He has played well in some games but been one of the and probably THE primary reason for many of the losses over the last 3 years.

Of course he has flaws. But like I said he led this team to 8 wins. That’s a fact no matter how hard you and Beard try, cannot be denied.
His flaws are primary in the losses to BYU and GSU. He played poorly enough to lose Vandy and IU too if the defense, OL, and RB's had not developed as much as they have. His poor passing and critical mistakes turned a close game vs Bama into a blow out. Do we need to talk about UF?

Those flaws are a liability that will cost the team more games. I hoped he had turned the corner. The last two games strongly suggest he hasn't. It very much appears like an innate inability. Not everyone has the court awareness to distribute a basketball like John Stockton or Chris Paul. And no matter how much we want him to... not every kid with a good arm has the mental ability to quickly read D's or anticipate throws.

No. But honestly... what you're attempting here is really stupid. You aren't dealing with facts... just trying to demonize those who are.

Reactions: KBVol
invalid poll...
there was not the "Hell Yes" choice.

JG is a good person...but has long ago reached his ceiling and will handicap this team next year

Wow. Its amazing that people are starting to throw shade at Bailey......

In two sentences you have contradicted yourself..... "He hasn't proven his ability to do it" meaning no one knows. "He had an 'easy button' in Gilbert"...... So if he hasn't proven or shown what he can do, how do you know he is just an average QB because of an outlet receiver??????

You can't say his supporting cast made him overrated in one breath and then claim something else.... Have you seen him play with our roster? No.... You can't make claims until you do.

Can't believe the pot shots already on the kid.... LMAO only in Vol Nation.

Sure that is one convo to have about making sure no one gets left out of the discussion. But the premise that JG lost his job to a 3 star means that somehow a highly touted QB (Bailey) can't do the same with better results is amazing to me......

But only on the Vol Streets does this stuff happen.
Joe Montana was a hack...throwing to Jerry Rice so damn much. 😏

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back