Poll: Replace Pruitt or Major Staff Changes?

Poll: Replace Pruitt or Major Staff Changes?

• Replace Pruitt

Votes: 286 78.8%
  • Pruitt Replace Staff

Votes: 77 21.2%

• Total voters
I voted replace staff, I feel like Pruitt gave up to much coaching ability for recruiting ability last year with the staff changes. Because of this the players have regressed this year. He needs a new OL, DL, LB, QB coach. I am undecided on the DB coach. The DB's have been not as good this year but with covid, players hurt and out the DB's have moved around all year and never settled in.
If he’s in year 3 and needs a new OL, DL,LB QB, and maybe DB coach then he is doing a terrible job of putting together a competent staff.
Game management and decisions =bad
Halftime adjustments =non existent
QB evaluation =🤣🤣🤣🤣
So exactly what, if anything is he good at that would suggest we keep him.?

An overhaul of the staff by Pruitt would cause a similar effect to completely starting over, without starting over, for the roster.

Why not just completely start over with an entire new staff, including the head position?

I get continuity, but there isn't any. How will there be any if Pruitt just replaces a lot of his staff?

The only reason for Pruitt to fire a bunch of people and bring in new ones, is if he was having major issues and power strugggles within. But, Pruitt has shown zero signs of having the ability lead at the top position and appears to be the main problem.

Also, these are Pruitt hires. What in the world gives hope that any new hires will be the right hires, if he's blaming the staff that he hired?

I seriously doubt the recent loss of top commitments is due to Pruitt's staff, but rather Pruitt and the state of the program. His program.
I think if you hired Freeze, Tee and Graham would stay. Clear out the entire defensive staff.

If you vote for Pruitt to overhaul his staff, please explain your position.

Fulmer and Pruitt fluffed their nests with extensions while asking the assistants to take pay cuts and none of them got extended that I know of.

They have it set up to use the assistants as sacrifices to the football gods for this abomination of a season and I expect this is what we will see in the off season.

It isn't what I think should happen but what I expect to happen.

Personally never thought Pruitt should have been hired in the first place. The stench of Sal Sunseri was still too fresh for this program to sink their money into another Alabama experiment.

An overhaul of the staff by Pruitt would cause a similar effect to completely starting over, without starting over, for the roster.

Why not just completely start over with an entire new staff, including the head position?

I get continuity, but there isn't any. How will there be any if Pruitt just replaces a lot of his staff?

The only reason for Pruitt to fire a bunch of people and bring in new ones, is if he was having major issues and power strugggles within. But, Pruitt has shown zero signs of having the ability lead at the top position and appears to be the main problem.

Also, these are Pruitt hires. What in the world gives hope that any new hires will be the right hires, if he's blaming the staff that he hired?

I seriously doubt the recent loss of top commitments is due to Pruitt's staff, but rather Pruitt and the state of the program. His program.
It's really a two-edged sword. Commits are dropping because 1) the product on the field is abysmal and 2) due to the the abysmal product they are discerning enough to know he won't be around to play for. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy at this point.

Pull off the band-aid now.

The fact he keeps trotting JG out week after week is enough for me to see he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Prolonging the inevitable ( which is Pruitt getting fired) isn't going to help anything. He loses games he shouldn't lose, barely wins the winnable games and isn't anywhere close to being competitive with rival teams. He's got to go and he should have been gone way before now.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Will Healy!

Get it done!

I like Will Healy a ton. Just don't think Vols can go this route. While I think he's an excellent coach, Vols can't afford another experiment. They must hire a homerun top tier Proven coach at a high power 5 level. That is a short list. Meyer and Stoops won't come out of retirement, especially to the dumpster fire UT is. Freeze is really the only logical option right now. He's literally sitting there for the taking....

Reactions: preacherwebb
I like Will Healy a ton. Just don't think Vols can go this route. While I think he's an excellent coach, Vols can't afford another experiment. They must hire a homerun top tier Proven coach at a high power 5 level. That is a short list. Meyer and Stoops won't come out of retirement, especially to the dumpster fire UT is. Freeze is really the only logical option right now. He's literally sitting there for the taking....
Besides Majors, UT has never hired a "homerun" coach. Healy isn't an experiment. He has won everywhere he has been.

Healy or Bill Clark would do really well at UT.

Besides Majors, UT has never hired a "homerun" coach. Healy isn't an experiment. He has won everywhere he has been.

Healy would be an experiment at this level. He is a fine coach. Probably would do well here. Just can't take this chance, yet again. In fairness, Butch wasn't an experiment based on your point. Butch was a conference winning coach at 2 prior stops. How did that work out?

Johnny Majors was a national championship winning coach. That's pretty homerunish. Since then, you are right. They've hired experiments....

Reactions: preacherwebb
I am 100% for firing Pruitt. However, if we keep him, and he doesn't fire Friend and Wienke immediately following the last game... He should be walked out and banned from campus.

91% of the votes going for replacing Pruitt, but I can’t help but wonder if those folks (me included, because I voted to replace him) would feel the same if they knew our next hire would be another coordinator with little to no head coaching experience.

I wouldn't feel the same unless it is a proven winner. Tennessee needs someone who can come in and change the dynamic quickly. We've been getting kicked around for over a decade now, this time needs to be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: N.ohio vol
I can’t see Freeze keeping Chaney on. Different offensive philosophies.

Maybe, but Chaney has been flexible at different stops in his career, based on what he had to work with.

That said, if, IF, all that was standing in the way of Fulmer hiring Freeze, was Freeze agreeing to keep Chaney (in Fulmer's mind, for the sake of money), do you think Freeze would say, "No thank you" and walk away? I don't.

HB has a huge upside. His ceiling is .........undetermined. We've seen JG's ceiling, and its just good enough to barely beat decent teams, as long as there are 0 turnovers, we own the line of scrimmage, and we win every 50/50 ball. HB will hit receivers, in stride, on time, in the middle of the field. He'll deliver the ball, to a pinpoint spot, before the receiver even turns to receive it. He'll learn the offense, and get us into positive plays. He'll move, just enough, in the pocket, to get into passing lanes. Plus, he's just athletic enough to pull it down, and get 5 yds. He's 19, and his pocket presence is light years ahead of JG.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
After his reputation at UGA and what is likely going on now, I don’t see many good coordinators wanting to work for Pruitt at any point, but especially not when he’s in the hot seat. Any OC would be a major step down from Chaney. Chaney is a proven winner, but he’s likely being told what QB to play...not much he can do.
It’s time to pull the ripcord on this sh*tshow and go get Freeze. After UF takes us to the woodshed again, Liberty’s season will be over. Sign a deal w Freeze quietly. Fire Pruitt, then announce Freeze the next morning. We’ll get a recruiting surge, excitement (meaning money) from the fan base.

Pruitt is the main problem. Period. You don’t correct anything without removing him.

In fact, if he is fired before the end of the season, and Chaney is elevated as the interim, you will see immediate improvement.

Reactions: PSYVOL and cgrish

VN Store

Back