Poll: how far does TN advance in the 2023 NCAAT?

TN advances how deep in March Madness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We will be lucky to win one. No way we make it out of the first weekend. Barnes has just killed this team's confidence with all the lineup changes and not letting his team play free. He preaches defense but the main way to beat the other team is to outscore them. Barnes is a good guy, but his teams are just not going to have that killer instinct. Hoping I'm wrong, but I have watched this team play the last 6 weeks. It hasn't been pretty. Go VOLS.

Reactions: jbr82
We will be lucky to win one. No way we make it out of the first weekend. Barnes has just killed this team's confidence with all the lineup changes and not letting his team play free. He preaches defense but the main way to beat the other team is to outscore them. Barnes is a good guy, but his teams are just not going to have that killer instinct. Hoping I'm wrong, but I have watched this team play the last 6 weeks. It hasn't been pretty. Go VOLS.

You can outscore the other team by playing great defense. It’s kept TN winning enough to stay in the top 25 all season and also lead to defeating #1 as well as 2 other highly ranked opponents.

Look back at the last several years though, not just 1 year. Yes, 5-12 upsets still happen but it’s more sporadic. And the teams that used to get those seeds in the late 90s and 00s (Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, etc) usually get better seeds now. From 2006-2014 (9 tournaments) there were 2 or more 5-12 upsets in 6 tournaments. That’s 67%. 3 of those included 3 upsets in 5-12 matchups. Only once in those 9 tournaments were there none. Since then, in 7 tournaments there have been 3 years with 2 or more upsets and only 1 with 3. Twice there have been none. So, again, it’s still happening but not as frequently while 4-13 upsets have increased and so have 3-14 upsets. Perhaps I should have worded it that way.

Sweet 16 I'll go on record further than that in my prediction. I'll say we are a 4 seed and that they place us in the region with 1)UCLA 2)Texas 3)Miami 4)Tennessee 5)San Diego State

So we go 2-1 in an out west region and San Diego St eliminates us. 😢

Sweet 16 I'll go on record further than that in my prediction. I'll say we are a 4 seed and that they place us in the region with 1)UCLA 2)Texas 3)Miami 4)Tennessee 5)San Diego State

So we go 2-1 in an out west region and San Diego St eliminates us. 😢
Confused if we lose to San Diego St. That would be in round of 32 not 16 if I'm wrong correct me

Hard to say without knowing the matchups. With that said I don’t see any way this team advances past the 2nd round but it’s March and who knows this time of the year.

Probably 20 to 25% odds of a Sweet 16. Slightly above average odds of winning round one times 35 or 40% odds of winning round two. Might adjust that a little after I see the matchup.

Every game since mid season seems like a coin flip. Who knows…could get lucky and hit a few in a row.

You can outscore the other team by playing great defense. It’s kept TN winning enough to stay in the top 25 all season and also lead to defeating #1 as well as 2 other highly ranked opponents.

Yes, that worked well for this team in December. How’s that worked out for them the past 6 weeks? We need to recruit and coach players to put the ball in the hoop. If you run an up tempo offense…..that helps recruiting. Players want to play in a fun system. I’m not convinced that Barnes runs a fun system. He is a good man and moral man. With that said, I think the game has kinda pasted him by. It happens to everyone. We need an infusion of youth. Not just with new players, but with coaches as well.

I don't think the ZZ injury really impacted the ceiling of this team but it does lower floor.

Right now, I'd say Sweet 16. Might reconsider when I see Potential R32 matchup...
This is true! If our D is dialed in and we are rebounding and actively passing the ball (cuts to basket or inside/out) and hitting our freethrows, we can beat anyone. Problem has become when we have one of those games where the ball just won't go in the basket, or we're not being aggressive (too much standing around) drawing penalties and hitting freethrows, we can get beat by anyone. We probably won't get throttled by anyone b/c of our D usually travels.

Sweet 16 depending on draw. Not a big fan of latest projection of potentially playing UVA in the second round.

VN Store

Back