Poll: 9-2-16 Stance on Butch

Poll: 9-2-16 stance on Butch

• Total voters
Didn't like any of the choices. Still in wait and see mode. I'l say this, i'm not a fan of this offensive scheme. Have my doubts it will ever translate into championships in this league.. Looking like getting rid of Sam Pittman was also a terrible move.

Still waiting on hiring the "Best Staff In America" because clearly this isn't it. Issues all across the offense..

One game doesn't define a season and sometimes people jump to conclusions. Some of the same issues still exist from last year it seems. That game plan consisted of about 8 plays. If that's how it's going to be all year, well let's just say it's not going to be what everyone hoped for.

Reactions: 1 person
I laughed out loud at the play calling. Was hoping it was a grand plan of not showing your cards before Bristol. I'll say this, better find ways to get PW, Malone, and Kamara the ball. Also, can we please get creative, possibly Tyler Byrd touches?

I just really saw a lack of speed in a bland, vanilla game plan. Makes me scratch my head when you figure this should be an improved version of the same team that put up big point totals 2nd half of last year.

I think your wrong with that. The 2015 Tennessee team would of lost that game last night. Butch kept his composure last night and pulled out the win. Last year when we went down we might as well forfeited the game.

The 2015 team would have had a 17-0 lead in the first quarter.

I think that Butch is a great rebuilder. And he would be a great coach at a mid-level position. But at some point. We are going to have to make a decision just like we did with Johnny Majors. We will have to find a coach that can take us to the next level.

I think everyone needs to pump the breaks. Thursday was an extremely sloppy game, but let's not forget this is basically the same team (with added talent and depth) that took Oklahoma and Alabama to the wire last year. Let's see how we perform at the Battle at Bristol before getting on the railing of the Henley Street bridge.

Honestly, I think this was just one of those weird games. Thursday night against a very unusual but well coached and talented team, JRM gets ejected, Sutton muffs a punt, special teams plays poorly, offense line plays poorly against an unsually small and quick defensive live, and it takes a quarter or two to adjust to App States triple option. Obviously there is plenty to work on. But this team is talented, and we fortunately squeaked out a win. I honestly would consider this game an anomaly in Butch's record, as we typically come out well prepared against lesser competition. As mentioned early, if we look as bad against VT, then we have reason for concern. As of right now, I still think this will go 10-2 and win the East. We will see the team we expected to see as the season progresses.

Butch has obvious flaws in game management, but he also has shown to be a master motivator and a quality recruiter. My hope is that he can develop the game management skills because so far I think he's angled the program in the right direction.

I'll say what I said last season.

Tennessee will (eventually) thank Butch for everything he has done and send him on his way. He has increased the talent level. He has brought Tennessee back to respectability. He has done a lot of good as opposed to some of the previous coaching hires.

However, he is not the guy to get Tennessee where you want them to go.

I agree.

Fired at end of 2017 by new ad.

New coach will retain shoop and have a stable of quality juniors and sophomores to build off.

Only way he survives is changing the play calling completely and I just don't see it happening.

I'll say what I said last season.

Tennessee will (eventually) thank Butch for everything he has done and send him on his way. He has increased the talent level. He has brought Tennessee back to respectability. He has done a lot of good as opposed to some of the previous coaching hires.

However, he is not the guy to get Tennessee where you want them to go.

The problem is that by the time he leaves, the talent may be back where it was pre-Butch. If we had fired him immediately after second full recruiting class came in, his hire would have been a success.

The problem is that by the time he leaves, the talent may be back where it was pre-Butch. If we had fired him immediately after second full recruiting class came in, his hire would have been a success.

Richmond, jack jones, chance hall will all be juniors. Richmond a rs junior. All have two more years at that point.

Jg would have three years if he redshirts.

Byrd will have three years.

Etc etc.

My point is we would still have a lot of talent as long as this year we finish top 15 in recruiting.

A great coach can run with that group big time.

Edit.... They would be seniors....I was wrong and u might be right

Last edited:

VN Store

Back