Plus or Minus?

DrDave

Overall, how do you rate these players as to their benefit to the Lady Vols?

And easy one, Bass -- a BIG MINUS
Easy, but maybe ...., Johnson - minus
Less easy, but real potential, if ... , Williams - minus

Bass needs to recognize that playing under control is the way the game needs to be played. She knows she's not in the game for long so she just tries to do way too much and she doesn't have the tools to get 'er done.

Johnson has ability, but plays out of control. There's a real difference between finesse and brute force. Plus, she can't shoot!

Williams again has the talent, but lack the commitment to playing hard.

Look at Johnson's play last night against Alabama and you will see what a big MINUS she actually is.

Last edited:
Bass does force it when she is in the game, that is a good point by you. She needs to learn to slow down, but I think she sees the writing on the wall that she probably isn't long for this program with Kamiko ahead of her and Avant coming in. Minus

Glory is a bit of an enigma. She is a freakish athlete, but she tries to do too much with that athleticism. Coach Summit keeps trying to convince her to be more physical and better utilize her strength and toughness. Glory: neutral

Kamiko: She is a freshman and has played like one. She was sent to the locker room from practice(1st since Dom Redding in 07) because of "lack of energy". I think he has the tools and the skill set, but she is going to have to grow up on and off the court and stop listening to all those external voices telling her things other than what Coach Summit expects from her. I think long term she will be a very good player. I call her a neutral as well, too early to tell.

I don't understand you having Glory as a minus. Yes, she is out of control sometimes, but I would much rather put up with the mistakes she makes going Mach 2 with her hair on fire than having a player as talented as Kamiko play uninspired. Glory's shooting has improved a lot this year. She is hitting those foul line jumpers most of the time. Kamiko should have been playing point when we were playing all those "sisters of the poor" teams. It's not really fair to throw her to the wolves at this point, although I think Pat needs a little more patience with her before yanking her out and I do believe she should be playing point. This team needs one more outside threat to help take the pressure off Angie. Stricklin would be that player if her outside shot was more consistant. I like the way this team is starting to gel.

Since Mickey DeMoss left the staff, the Lady Vol recruits have really lacked consistency, heart & the killer instinct. While Coach Pat Summit is the best ever, it's evident that the recruiting process has not gotten the sort of players we used to have at UT.

Since Mickey DeMoss left the staff, the Lady Vol recruits have really lacked consistency, heart & the killer instinct. While Coach Pat Summit is the best ever, it's evident that the recruiting process has not gotten the sort of players we used to have at UT.

And I don't know why, Geno is getting the type of players we used to get.

+Glory=3rd in scoring, 3rd in steals, 1st in rebounding
- Bass- has not come out of the blocks as expected
? Williams-needs to commit in order to improve

And those who do have game--at least offensively--tend to lose with the coach's obsession with defense. For one thing, PS has to stop recruiting shooting guards who lack athleticism and quickness and can't get off their own shot. She's recruited a bunch of guards--1s and 2s--in recent years that just aren't all that. :shades:

And those who do have game--at least offensively--tend to lose with the coach's obsession with defense. For one thing, PS has to stop recruiting shooting guards who lack athleticism and quickness and can't get off their own shot. She's recruited a bunch of guards--1s and 2s--in recent years that just aren't all that. :shades:

where do I go to see who Tennessee signed this year?

where do I go to see who Tennessee signed this year?

Whoooops. That was last year's. Still looking.

This info seems to be scattered to the 4 winds on the net. I give up. I've sent a request to UT. I'll post whatever returns.

Last edited:
Whoooops. That was last year's. Still looking.

This info seems to be scattered to the 4 winds on the net. I give up. I've sent a request to UT. I'll post whatever returns.

FWIW

I just received this in an e-mail from UT.

Our signees for the 2010 season are:

Lauren Avant – 5’8” – Guard – Memphis, TN
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recr...ncw/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=63032

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/girls basketball/recruiting/player-Lauren-Avant-94699

Meighan Simmons – 5’9” – Guard – Cibolo, TX
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=63050&season=2010

http://girlshoops.scout.com/a.z?s=209&p=8&c=1&nid=4190928

Signing day was: Nov. 11-18, 2009

We do not anticipate signing anyone else, but the late signing date would be in April 2010.

Last edited:

I agree with you, but there's only one thing that's going to make her stop recruiting that way. She's going to have to play UConn on national TV for the championship, and get humiliated, by some score like 77-37. I have a feeling that's how this season's going to wind up, because Pat can outcoach Stanford if she gets a second crack at them and beat everyone else outright except the Conn artists.

I've thought our offense was horrendous for years, but people like Chamique Holdsclaw and Candace Parker could make up for it. When we don't have a player like that, we have no chance to win anything because we can't score, and there's no amount of defense that can cover for a totally inept offense.

VN Store

Back