Please explain that last penalty against Bama in the Auburn game

volberry

I am confused as to what happened. Was it the right call? Saban seemed ready to break down. And when I watched the replay I didn't see 12 men. I saw 11. So what happened. Because all my bammer friends are losing their minds. They say Saban is an idiot for letting that situation happen. I love it. I just don't understand. And if it was the right call and bammer didn't get screwed even better.

I am confused as to what happened. Was it the right call? Saban seemed ready to break down. And when I watched the replay I didn't see 12 men. I saw 11. So what happened. Because all my bammer friends are losing their minds. They say Saban is an idiot for letting that situation happen. I love it. I just don't understand. And if it was the right call and bammer didn't get screwed even better.
The punt returner was not in view on the tv screen. They had 12 on the field. Because Auburn substituted, Saban thought the refs should have given Bama more time to make their substitutions in which case they would have had time to wave off the returner.

Either way, Bama should have been prepared in that situation for Auburn to attempt drawing them offsides.

12th man was the guy back to receive the punt. You just didn't see him on the screen. He stayed on when the rest were running out and lining up.

Auburn had a wide receiver as a punter, this had Alabama scrambling so part of their defense was on the field along with their punt receiver who was off camera. It’s not “unfair” or illegal. Saban fell for a completely legal trick play. No different then trying to get a team to jump offsides. He’s just mad he fell for it and the refs didn’t bail him out like they did against Tennessee

You may not be counting the punt returner who is out of most of the pics I've seen.

Reactions: BUBear
Reminds me of when a Kentucky basketball game gets called fairly. The KatPeople go into a multi-year meltdown. They still whine about various games against Duke in years past. And to hear them tell it they have NEVER lost to Tennessee. It's always bad officiating.

Well, I think Saban has a gripe about the play. The SEC officials have been stopping play all year when a team attempts trickery against the Tide. Remember the referees stopping play when we hurried up with a play Bama wasn’t expecting? It’s just not fair all of a sudden to not let Bama get their players and play set after the SEC referees have been stopping play all year for the Tide.

Last edited:
Somebody please explain why BIG XII refs called the OU vs OSU game with 48 seconds to go??? 🤔🤔🤔

That was glorious.

It made Saban use the word "unfair" in a post game press conference. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that jacka$$.
it was so nice to see the breaks bama live off of turn on them. Always someone else fault, right Saban?

Reactions: davethevol
What really messed with Bama was Auburn left Bo Nix, the QB, in the game. Somebody from the Bama sidelines saw that, ran in another defender without alerting Waddle to get off the field. 12 man violation, ball game!!! Malzahn outsmarts Saban again in the special teams arena.

What really messed with Bama was Auburn left Bo Nix, the QB, in the game. Somebody from the Bama sidelines saw that, ran in another defender without alerting Waddle to get off the field. 12 man violation, ball game!!! Malzahn outsmarts Saban again in the special teams arena.

Actually tried to switch out the whole return team for the whole defense. Wasn't just one guy.

Honestly, even in some of their wins, I've seen Saban get outcoached more the last couple years than I ever would have imagined.

Reactions: wmcovol
Honestly, even in some of their wins, I've seen Saban get outcoached more the last couple years than I ever would have imagined.

He’s a great recruiter, great evaluator of talent, great practice and strategy coach but he’s average on the sidelines in a game. If and it’s a big IF, you can get him in a close game, the intensity tends to work against him. NTL, he’s a great coach. One of the best.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
The punt returner was not in view on the tv screen. They had 12 on the field. Because Auburn substituted, Saban thought the refs should have given Bama more time to make their substitutions in which case they would have had time to wave off the returner.

Either way, Bama should have been prepared in that situation for Auburn to attempt drawing them offsides.
Bama did substitute. They put their D back on when they saw Auburn in a reg offense. They forgot to remove Waddle. They got outsmarted. Saban needs to quit whining...

Bama did substitute. They put their D back on when they saw Auburn in a reg offense. They forgot to remove Waddle. They got outsmarted. Saban needs to quit whining...

It was awesome. Maybe the worst look ever for Saban. Malzahn got one over on him and then Saban went 9 year old in the press conference.

Strategy wise it reminds me of what they do in Tampa with baseball. Moving a right handed pitcher to play first base for 1 batter so they can being a left handed pitcher in for 1 batter, then sending the pitcher from first base back to the mound. It just plays on assumptions long instilled in games.

VN Store

Back