Playoff teams revealed

Fourteen years ago the Big 10 complained that a 1-loss Florida team wasn’t deserving to make the BCS title game against mighty Ohio State. We saw how that played out.

Today we’re complaining about a 6-win Ohio State team isn’t deserving of a CFP spot over a 1-loss SEC team that played 10 games. We’ll see how it plays out.

I’ve never wanted to see Ohio State get destroyed more than I do at this very moment.

Last edited:
Florida Oklahoma in Cotton. Interesting.

We know Pitts won’t play, already announced. I wonder about Trask, Toney and Grimes playing?

Get ready for another 52-46 game I’m thinking.
Most of the time I hate these opt outs, but this year I would support the players 100% if everyone not in the playoffs opted out. Screw these meaningless bowls that no one is allowed to attend.

Playoff expansion seems inevitable. I'm betting pretty soon they go to 6 teams with 1 and 2 getting a first round bye. Of course, none of that matters until more teams close the gap between AL/Clemson and everyone else. So far, most of the first round games haven't been competitive anyway, so expansion wouldn't really mean more teams with a chance to win it all, it would just appease teams like A&M this year.

Fourteen years ago the Big 10 complained that a 1-loss Florida team wasn’t deserving to make the BCS title game against mighty Ohio State. We saw how that played out.

Today we’re complaining about a 6-win Ohio State team isn’t deserving of a CFP spot over a 1-loss SEC team that played 10 games. We’ll see how it plays out.

I’ve never wanted to see Ohio State get destroyed more than I do at this very moment.

Agreed. However I will say this. Most fans are irrational. But the 2 Ohio State fans I know and their families are the most irrational of all. SEC beats by 30 and they say it was rigged for SEC team. I remember being like yep Ohio States O-line was in on it. They purposely let the D-Line through to abuse Troy Smith! 🤣🤣🤣 righhhhht.

All I am saying is no matter how bad the statement is made to prove the Buckeyes don't belong they will not accept the result.

Playoff expansion seems inevitable. I'm betting pretty soon they go to 6 teams with 1 and 2 getting a first round bye. Of course, none of that matters until more teams close the gap between AL/Clemson and everyone else. So far, most of the first round games haven't been competitive anyway, so expansion wouldn't really mean more teams with a chance to win it all, it would just appease teams like A&M this year.
It won’t matter cause it will still be Bama and Clemson for the next decade oh you may get a occasional one tear flash in the pan like LSU last year but it’s usually the same two teams.

I'm starting to lean toward bringing back the BCS. Ohio State has no business being in the playoff. I hope Clemson curb stomps them.

The 4-team playoff was a bad idea from the start. Either you have a playoff or you don't. A 4-team playoff is simply a 2-round BCS where people, instead of a computer, pick the 4 "BCS" teams. With 5 "power" conferences, at least one conference champion is guaranteed to get left out of your "playoff" every year. Where's the "playoff" in that? We don't have a playoff at the FBS level. We have a 13 week beauty contest for the four teams that will play in the BCS "playoff". As for the Group of 5 teams, the current BCS playoff is a dream they will never, ever achieve. Fact.

For those who advocate staying with 4, or a 4+2 format, stop it. You don't want a playoff, you want to preserve the status quo. Anything less than 8 teams is a joke, and even 8 is eliminating the one-loss team that got hot late in the season. But 8 is likely the best we can ever hope for at the FBS level.

And for those who give us all the "why it won't work" arguments, well...what about FCS, Division II, Division III, and NAIA? How is it that they can pull off tournaments with as many as 28 teams? Oh, they have a shorter regular season? Well hello Pete, who'da thought of that?

Two words for you, chuckles: bowl money. Make that four words: Bowl and TV money. That is why we will never, ever see an FBS playoff with 16 teams, and it'll be a miracle if we get to 8. It ain't about final exams or anything to do with the health and well-being of our "student-athletes". Nosirree. What it is, good citizen, is all about the Benjamins, and the NCAA FBS gold mine is the networks, ESPN, and thirty-something bowl games. Game, Set, Match.

11 game regular season, plus championship week, then an 8-team BCS Playoff. Single-elimination. Five P5 conference champs, and then the next 3 highest-ranked teams, regardless of conference affiliation. But take the human element out of it (again), and use the old BCS formula. That's probably about the best we can hope for.

Ohio State has absolutely no business being in the playoff what with having played only 6 games. TXAM got robbed. Tougher SOS; played twice as many games. Playoff committee simply didn't want Bama - TXAM II. Simple as that. So now we'll get to see Bama curb stomp them instead. Whee.....

FBS playoff sucks. NCAA sucks. As much as I dread the thought of the federal government getting involved in this whole "fair compensation" mess involving college athletics (most notably college football), in the end the NCAA and college athletic administrators will have no one to blame but themselves. They've screwed it up to the point where now we need some real experts to step in and finish mucking it all up permanently.

I'll tell you this much: we won't recognize college football when the government is done with it. Better start buying up those old VHS tapes of your favorite team on eBay. That's your best chance to watch the college football you know and love going down the road.

Rant over. Well, this one.

Last edited:
I just think it matters that the winner gets in. Could A&M actually win it? No. They may legitimately be the 3rd best team, but it's not actually important that you're the third best team. The playoff is not about crowning the third best team. A&M is not good enough and that's why they're not in it.

People don't like a 4 team playoff would fuss about a 32 team playoff. They'd argue about who deserved to be #33.

@GreyWolf1129 I think this year is a great example for why we shouldn't expand. Wanna argue that A&M or Cincy should be in? I'll listen to that. But who are teams 7 and 8? Oklahoma? Oregon? Georgia? Florida? Not buying any of that.

A & M was screwed. They lost to The #1 team in the country at bama in the second game of the year. Notre Dame gets crushed by Clemson yesterday. The only reason they won the first time was TL was not playing.

OSU only played 5 games. Hell A& M won 9 games in an all SEC schedule.
200w.gif

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
For those who think college football isn't a bought out money grabbing **** show didn't watch notre dame get smacked around on a neutral field Saturday.

@GreyWolf1129 I think this year is a great example for why we shouldn't expand. Wanna argue that A&M or Cincy should be in? I'll listen to that. But who are teams 7 and 8? Oklahoma? Oregon? Georgia? Florida? Not buying any of that.

The playoff committee gave us Teams 7 and 8. Same as the old BCS formula would. If the goal is to identify the top 4, then by expanding to 8, you have a solid argument that you got what you were after. As opposed to what we have this year, since you think this year is a great example.

And then I'd like to hear your logic for why NCAA Division I basketball, or baseball, or any college "playoff" in any sport, at any level, should require more than four (or six) teams. NCAA D1 basketball teams play a 30+ game season. Should we not be able to identify the top 4 teams after all that? Why do we need a 65 team playoff field? Why do we need a College World Series? Or playoff brackets for all the other NCAA team sports?

I guess it's all a waste of time, huh? Let's just have a playoff committee for all of them; pick 4; and we're done in a week or two.

Personally, I'm not buying any of that.

Reactions: Rockytoptalker
It's about "brand" as much as it's about records or resume. Ohio State & ND brings huge viewers.

I don't get how Ohio State is in when they played 6 games and the toughest tests were Indiana and Northwestern. And they didn't even look good in those games
Ohio State always always carries weight, unfairly. They haven't even looked that good, played their conference games (a bunch of ninnies) but I knew they would get in. The big 10 suks.

Wont watch a second of any of the three games. College football has become a totally predictable bore.

I hate all these teams, so I say screw it and I hope the NC this year goes to a 8-0 OSU while everyone else cries and melts about it.

College football has become a joke and a farce. It’s favored to certain teams and everyone else is left looking in.

Reactions: Rockytoptalker

VN Store

Back