Playoff Committee Rankings Prediction CBS

Here's a thought on how the season might play out even if the Vols don't make the SECCG.

Vols win out 10-2 and smoke everyone along the way win all remaining games by 14+
Gators win out (unlikely...but play along) 11-1
Gators get waxed in the SECCG by 13-0 Bama
A&M Loses to 'Ol Miss and the last game of season to LSU 9-3
LSU loses to Bama 9-3
Auburn loses to Alabama 9-3
Bama to the playoffs
and Vols to the Sugar Bowl
Better record than anyone but Bama and Florida and own the head to head over the Gators
If we go to the SECCG and get waxed again by Bama its Outback or Citrus at 10-3
I mean is the SECE even a real championship?
My scenario won't likely play out but we might feel better about the season being 11-2 and Sugar Bowl Champions over Oklahoma than 11-3 with 2 Bama blowouts and another win over a Big 10 wannabe (read Iowa again) in the Outback.
Flame away

These two can't happen at the same time. If the Gators win out and Bama beats LSU, then the best possible record LSU could have is 8-4. Not that it really matters for your scenario.

Gators will lose another game. If not and we win out we will get another new "Tennessee Rule" for next season making only division games count for SECCG qualification, since we would be the first team to ever beat every team in the east and still not make the championship. No way they let that happen more than once.

All we can do is win. After that, let the chips fall where they may.

We are in the best position we have been in for a decade:
  • Winning record
  • Possibly Bowl Elligible before November
  • In Contention for SEC East/SEC
  • Top 10 Ranking several weeks in one season
  • Four SEC Game of the Week appearances
  • Three College Gameday Appearances
  • Beat Florida and Georgia in the same season
  • 11-2 record from this week last season

Welcome back Vols!

Was Michigan State a playoff caliber team last year? Was Florida State a playoff caliber team 2 years ago? If we get healthy by the SEC championship are we a playoff caliber team? Is Ohip State a playoff caliber team with a loss to an unranked team? What about Washington whose SoS is in the hundreds? Clemson and Michigan have beaten 1 good team each, are they playoff caliber teams?

A healthy Tennessee is a contender. They won't get a chance but had they stayed healthier which means they probably beat A&M and keep Bama in a game until 4th qtr then maybe they could qualify for a spot. Bottom line, if you get lucky and stay healthy there's 20+ teams that are good enough to make it. Win it? Entirely different discussion.

Reactions: 1 person
A healthy Tennessee is a contender. They won't get a chance but had they stayed healthier which means they probably beat A&M and keep Bama in a game until 4th qtr then maybe they could qualify for a spot. Bottom line, if you get lucky and stay healthy there's 20+ teams that are good enough to make it. Win it? Entirely different discussion.

If Tennessee beats Bama in the SEC Championship I think they become a condender instantly.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the loss to Alabama is going to be too hard to overcome. Reality is that most of our players were injured, but nobody in the media ever mentions the injuries. The perception is not good from a national perspective.

Unfortunately the loss to A&M will probably cost us a playoff birth at the end of the day.

This team needs to dominate the next 5 games and win the SEC to even have a chance.

This program was fighting for bowl berths 2 years ago, this has a been a good season and a major step in the right direction now they just need to finish strong. Any year that you win over UF and UGA are good years.

The Playoff Committee takes injuries into consideration.

I would bet my bottom dollar that Louisville would beat Texas A&M were they to play.

I think Louisville beats them as well.

But in terms of resume, A&M has the better resume right now and if they win out (with games left against LSU and Ole Miss) they'll definitely have a better resume than Louisville who doesn't have another game against a ranked opponent left on their schedule.

Last edited:
That's probably not that far off for Tennessee's position. We really seem like somewhere around the 7-10th best team in the country. I would love another shot at A&M in the SECCG. I don't think we lose that game a second time, even at our current strength. Bama on the other hand....we would need everyone back to even make a game of it, and if you are in the game at the end......well, that's why we play.

I just hope we win out and get a shot at the SEC. Even if we lose that game, it is a HUGE step in the right direction for the program and CBJ. Beat every team in the east in one season.....that is so far from where we were a few short years ago, who wouldn't be happy with that season. We can all dream of magic....but Team 120 has proven a lot so far, and they should be proud of who they are and their season so far at Tennessee.

Now don't F%$k it up.

Need to root for Bama to be undefeated going into Atlanta and A&M being a 1 loss team to have any chance at that 4th playoff spot

I think the loss to Alabama is going to be too hard to overcome. Reality is that most of our players were injured, but nobody in the media ever mentions the injuries. The perception is not good from a national perspective.

Unfortunately the loss to A&M will probably cost us a playoff birth at the end of the day.

This team needs to dominate the next 5 games and win the SEC to even have a chance.

This program was fighting for bowl berths 2 years ago, this has a been a good season and a major step in the right direction now they just need to finish strong. Any year that you win over UF and UGA are good years.

You do know the media doesn't matter anymore. It's all about the PLAYOFF COMMITTEE. And they've shown that they pay more attention than the media. They value strength of schedule and take injuries into account. Something the media totally ignores.

Remember how different the first playoff poll was from the AP poll a year ago?

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at our playoff standing next week. There's a good chance we are ranked much higher by the commitee than the media has us right now.

Last edited:
Who are you speaking for? All Tennessee fans? Most don't believe we would beat Alabama. But, I'll admit that if we did have Sutton covering receivers and JRM watching the edge (along with a healthy offense line), I could see us hanging with them.

But mostly, it looks like you've made up a story about Tennessee fans and then reacted in shock to your own story.
+1
I got a good laugh out of this.

You do know the media doesn't matter anymore. It's all about the PLAYOFF COMMITTEE. And they've shown that they pay more attention than the media. They value strength of schedule and take injuries into account. Something the media totally ignores.

Remember how different the first playoff poll was from the AP poll a year ago?

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at our playoff standing next week. There's a good chance we are ranked much higher by the commitee than the media has us right now.

I hope you are right, but I don't expect the Playoff committee to put a lot of emphasis on the fact that we were injured when we played Alabama.

I do think they will have us ranked higher than the AP/Coaches poll.

This is why UT needs to crush their next 5 opponents, the film so far shows a team that makes a lot of mistakes.

UT fans are something else. Make excuses for every single loss, and think you're a playoff team capable of playing with Alabama after a 49-10 beat-down.

Wow. Just wow.

I guess the Volunteers have arrived. Or should we say returned, you know like Haley's Comet only every 47 years?

How is that different from any other fan base?
Suck a bag of *****

Reactions: 3 people
I hope you are right, but I don't expect the Playoff committee to put a lot of emphasis on the fact that we were injured when we played Alabama.

I do think they will have us ranked higher than the AP/Coaches poll.

This is why UT needs to crush their next 5 opponents, the film so far shows a team that makes a lot of mistakes.

I don't think we'll be punished much for getting smashed by Alabama. They are the #1 team in country and have been destroying everyone. I mean that's better than losing to Penn State or getting smashed by Louisville. There are teams ranked above us with much worse losses than what we suffered against Alabama.

I think people are not paying attention to our wins. Florida is a top 15 team. Va-Tech is a top 25 team. We beat both of them convincingly. That's 2 quality wins.

Most of teams ranked above us (like Washington, Louisville, Nebraska, West Virginia, Baylor, Florida, and Oklahoma) don't have 2 wins against ranked teams. Hell most of them don't even have 1 win over a ranked opponent. Their high rank is purely based on beating scrub teams. In contrast, we've played one of the 2-3 toughest schedules in The country and it's only reason we have 2 losses.

AP voters don't give us credit for our wins and schedule strength. The playoff committee will which is why I think we get ranked in the 8-12 range next week in the first CFP poll.

Last edited:
If and its a big IF the Vols run the table and win convincingly and then beat Alabama to win the SEC Championship finishing 11-2 then they probably make the playoff. Anything else not even a prayer.

UT fans are something else. Make excuses for every single loss, and think you're a playoff team capable of playing with Alabama after a 49-10 beat-down.

Wow. Just wow.

I guess the Volunteers have arrived. Or should we say returned, you know like Haley's Comet only every 47 years?

Kinda like Alabama's 76 National Championships.:crazy:
If you are going to troll, atleast make an effort.:shaking2:

A goal without a plan is a dream, UT has a plan, so nothing is impossible. I will wait until the last game to make my "we don't have a chance" post.

GBO!!

Wow. Just wow.

Hey Bama guy. Get off my board.

Wow. Just wow.

at least I am one

The only teams we can't beat IMHO are Alabama and Michigan. I think we have proven ourselves in most of the games we have played (and haven't played for that matter<<meaning we didn't show up). If Tennessee can get healthy and stay healthy, by season end, we could hit our stride. It's feasible to see us winning out. I think it's a little greater than a 50% chance minus the championship game. If somehow (doubtful) another team makes it to Atlanta, things could happen. And even with a healthy secondary, LB group, and O-line, it could get interesting...that's why you play the games.

There is a big drop off after number 1 on the list. The next month will tell whether Michigan is above the others or just part of the "teams listed after Alabama".

Folks don't seem to recognize that once you get past a few teams at the top, the teams get more even in talent and ability - thus why a 2 loss Tennessee team is still there.

Wow. Just wow.

That's a big generalization.

"UT fans"?

Like this fan base can ever agree on anything.

I'm not sure how you leave LSU off that list. They have a ton of talent, a new coach who doesn't constantly run into 8-9 man fronts, and their early losses to Wisconsin and Auburn are looking a lot better at this point. They should at least be top 20, if not top 15.

Because they need to continue winning against better competition (more so than against teams like Missouri and an Ole Miss team that's struggled against everyone except for a not too good UGA and the mid-majors) to show that the first two losses were flukes.

That and they've got a brutal 4-game stretch upcoming that they can't lose a single game.

Dude, if Tennessee wins the east and loses the SECCG, we're going to the Sugar Bowl.

At 10-3? No we won't unless going into the SECCG we were ranked massively higher than UF, A&M, and anyone else that might end the season with only 2-3 losses in the West.

Last edited:
My point is, losing the SECCG won't hurt our chances of being in the Sugar Bowl. Winning the division will help a lot.

Actually yes it does.

If the loss makes us fall to 10-3 and drop below a 10-2 A&M team in the rankings, then A&M gets the Sugar Bowl bid. If A&M's, 11-1 then forget about it, they're going to the Sugar Bowl unless we were to upset Alabama.

Honestly, we actually might have a better chance to be in the Sugar or Orange Bowl if we win out but miss the SEC Championship and UF gets blown up for a 2nd or 3rd loss by Alabama.

We could still make the Orange Bowl if we win the East, and TAMU is ranked ahead of us.

Correct, we would get the Orange Bowl bid if all the following happened: Alabama made the CFP, Texas A&M or whoever finishes 2nd in the West is ranked higher than UT (they make the Sugar Bowl), UT is ranked higher than all the remaining SEC teams, and UT is ranked higher than the 3rd highest ranked Big Ten team (since the conference winner makes the playoff and the 2nd highest ranked team goes to the Rose Bowl).

If we get boat raced in the SEC Championship game, we are pretty much a lock for the Citrus Bowl.

If UT loses the Championship Game at all, the Vols most likely are looking at the Citrus Bowl (or depending on how the rest of the West and UF does, somewhere in the "Pool of 6" bowls - Outback/Music City/Belk/Texas/Taxslayer/Libert bowls), boat raced or not.

VN Store

Back